Read the stories that were in the December edition of the Big Thrill.
The interviews in the December issue are packed with no-holds-barred insights into the world of fiction writing, whether it’s Steven James on how important it is to write organically (“throw out your outline”), Janet Evanovich on the biggest challenge to writing a long series, or Peter James on why he’s happy not to be an “overnight success.”
The Big Thrill is proud to run David Morrell’s conversation with Lawrence Block—this story is not to be missed! Other highlights: James Scott Bell reveals L.A.’s most intriguing noir scenes in “Author Guided Tour,” Anne Trager spells out what it takes to be published in France in “Industry Report,” and Dawn Ius reports on the evolving appeal of the unreliable narrator in “Trend Watch.” Kenneth Wishnia reveals what went into editing the anthology Jewish Noir and Sarah Weinman discusses women writing crime fiction, past and present.
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines with Steven James on Every Crooked Path, interview by Anthony Franze
- International Thrills: An interview with Jérémie Guez, by Layton Green
- Africa Scene: An interview with Joanne Hichens, by Michael Sears
- Guided Tour: Los Angeles Noir, by James Scott Bell
- Industry Report: Getting Published in France, by Anne Trager
- In the News: Florida Benefit for Navy SEALs, by Tony Tata
- Trend Watch: The Evolving Unreliable Narrator, by Dawn Ius
- You Are Dead by Peter James
- Tricky Twenty-Two by Janet Evanovich
- To Brew Or Not To Brew by Joyce Tremel
- The Girl With The Deep Blue Eyes by Lawrence Block, interviewed by David Morrell
- Women Crime Writers: Eight Suspense Novels of the 1940s and 50s Edited by Sarah Weinman
- Jewish Noir: Contemporary Tales of Crime and Other Dark Deeds Edited by Kenneth Wishnia
- The Girl Without A Name by Sandra Block
- A Cold White Fear by R. J. Harlick
- Crysalis by Kevin V. Symmons
- Diablero by Toby Tate
- The Beast Of Barcroft by Bill Schweigart
- A Death In The Family by Michael Stanley
- Guilty As Cinnamon by Leslie Budewitz
- The Body In The Landscape by Larissa Reinhart
- Backstabbing In Beaujolais by Jean-Pierre Alaux, Noël Balen & Anne Trager (translator)
- Syren’s Song by Claude Berube
- Nation Of Enemies by H. A. Raynes
- Nations Divided by Steve P. Vincent
- Young Adventurers: Heroes, Explorers & Swashbucklers Edited by Austin S. Camacho
- Occupied Earth by Richard J. Brewer
- Blood Tracks by Matt Hilton
- Fatal Complications by John Benedict
- Still Life by DB Kennison
- In The Waning Light by Loreth Anne White
- In The Company Of Wolves by Paige Tyler
- Brazen by Christina Farley
- You Think This is a Game? by Bernard Maestas
- The Sand Prince by Kim Alexander
- Blood Of The Innocent by Cheryel Hutton
- The Samoa Seduction by Alan L. Moss
- Midnight Fire by Lisa Marie Rice
- The Eisenger Element by Sherry Fowler Chancellor
- The Throne Of David by Ann Farnsworth
- Targeted by Donna Warner and Gloria Ferris
- Dead Eyed by Matt Brolly
- Tom & Lucky (and George & Cokey Flo) by C. Joseph Greaves
- An Unbeaten Man by Brendan Rielly
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Ian Rankin, Carla Buckley, Jeff Abbott, Brad Taylor, Thomas Perry, Shiloh Walker, Peter Tonkin, Adrian Magson, Larry D. Sweazy, Gigi Pandian, Marc Cameron, Terry Shames, Vincent Zandri, Elizabeth Heiter, Kristina Stanley, Amy Shojai, Christine Kling and many more!
New E-Releases from ITW Members
- Dark Justice Story Bundle by David DeLee
- The Lion Hunter: A Short Adventure Story by Daniel Pembrey
- Left Hanging (Caught Dead In Wyoming, Book 2) by Patricia McLinn
- Sign Off (Caught Dead In Wyoming, Book 1) by Patricia McLinn
- Christmas Heat by Devon Vaughn Archer
- Christmas Diamonds by Devon Vaughn Archer
- Deception at Castle Rock by Anne Marie Stoddard
- Drake Spring Memories by Cheryl Norman
- The Last Victim by Jordan Dane
- Murder on Wheels by Lynn Cahoon
- Spilled Milk: A Novel by Paul Dale Anderson
- Through Life and Death (One Hell of a Romance Prequel) by Jennifer Felton
- As Crooked as a Dog’s Hind Leg by Toni L.P. Kelner
- A Stillness Lost by A. J. Davidson
- Buried But Not Gone by Juli Monroe
- Dies Irae by BV Lawson
- The Diary of Lt.Col. John Withers: The Civil War in His Own Hand. by Michael Rothmiller
- Northwoods by Bill Schweigart
New Audio Books from ITW Members
- The Blissfully Dead by Louise Voss and Mark Edwards
- The Euthanist by Alex Dolan
- Lethal Remedy by Richard L. Mabry, MD
- Diagnosis Death by Richard L. Mabry, MD
- Medical Error by Richard L. Mabry, MD
- Code Blue by Richard L Mabry, MD
- The Skeleton Haunts a House by Leigh Perry
- The Dirt on Ninth Grave by Darynda Jones
- The Girl in Black Pajamas by Chris Birdy
ThrillerFest XI: Advance Registration is Now Open!
Your ThrillerFest team is already hard at work planning for next July’s conference where we’ll feature 2016 ThrillerMaster Heather Graham and bestselling authors C.J. Box, Gillian Flynn and Walter Mosley. The 2016 Silver Bullet will be announced shortly. Like a compelling page-turner, we need to keep you in suspense, so stay tuned for more details!
Master CraftFest: Don’t miss this opportunity to study with the Masters of the genre in a one-day intensive workshop to take your writing to the next level. Everyone is welcome, from beginning writers to well-established authors. The instructors this year will be Steve Berry, Grant Blackwood, David Corbett, Meg Gardiner, Heather Graham, Andrew Gross, Richard Krevolin (Screen Writing) and Gayle Lynds.
CraftFest: Director D.P. Lyle, M.D. is already recruiting talented teachers to broaden your knowledge about the craft of writing as well as experts in fields like forensics and firearms so you can get the facts right in your novel.
PitchFest: PitchFest is dedicated to pitching your project face-to-face to agents, editors, and producers. It’s an unprecedented opportunity for writers looking to get or change agents. Check out some success stories!
ThrillerFest: We’re planning some phenomenal panels, always trying to innovate and entertain. Join us for the spotlight interviews, cocktail parties, workshops, and fabulous networking opportunities. Please check the volunteer box during registration, as it’s a great way to make new friends and help out ITW.
ITW’s Third Annual Online ThrillerSchool!
Starts March 14th, 2016!
Seven Weeks! Seven Bestselling Authors!
Join Lee Child, Meg Gardiner, David Corbett, James Scott Bell, Peter James, Hank Phillippi Ryan and F. Paul Wilson.
In this seven-week program, which begins March 14nd, 2016, the craft of thriller writing will be front and center. Each instructor will teach an aspect of craft though a podcast, written materials that include further reading and study suggestions, and an entire week of online Q&A with the registered students. The goal is simple: To make each student a better writer.
Like the past two years, the online school will fill up very quickly, so register soon. Visit ITW’s Online Thriller School for more information.
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for December. You won’t want to miss it!
November 30 – December 6: “Is poison as a murder method old-fashioned or are there some new methods for poisons that evade detection?”
December 7 – 13: “Underdog characters are popular in American thrillers. Are they as popular in international plots?”
December 14 – 20: “Are thriller writers active enough on social media? Must a writer have to participate in social media, or does the constant messaging and familiarity diminish suspense?”
December 21 – 27: NO ROUNDTABLE – CHRISTMAS
December 28 – January 3: NO ROUNDTABLE – NEW YEAR’S
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J.H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!
- The October 2021 Edition of The Big Thrill is Here! - September 30, 2021
- Up Close: Anthony Horowitz - September 30, 2021
- AudioFile Spotlight: Behind the Mic with Actor Alfred Molina - September 30, 2021