Read the stories that were featured in the June edition of The Big Thrill.
What better way to start the summer than with Brad Meltzer and The Big Thrill’s Between the Lines interview with this jack-of-all-trades who talks about life as a bestselling author, acclaimed screen writer, popular television host, philanthropist, and all around great guy.
Speaking of philanthropy and amazing writers, you won’t want to miss our Special about Sweet Dreams, a box-set featuring thirteen thrillers by some of the biggest names in the business all of whom donated their stories to help bestseller Brenda Novak’s Online Auction for Diabetes Research.
Were that not enough, this month’s other Specials include Gary Phillips’s piece, The Black Mask of Crime Fiction, about how comic-book-heroes have influenced thrillers. And just in time for next month’s ThrillerFest X, Kimberley Howe celebrates the tenth anniversary of the conference by interviewing the ten iconic authors who have received the ThrillerMaster Award, including this year’s ThrillerMaster, Nelson DeMille.
Our International Thrills segment returns with Quentin Bates’s report on the Shetland Islands’ first crime fiction festival. And on the Africa Scene Joanne Hichens interviews Karin Brynard.
Let’s not forget interviews with Joseph Finder, J. T. Ellison, Kate White, and more than 40 ITW authors about their incredible new releases.
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines with New York Times bestselling author Brad Meltzer by Nancy Bilyeau
- Special to the Big Thrill: Thriller Writers Giving Back: The Sweet Dreams Boxed Set Helping to Fight Diabetes by Austin Camacho
- Special to the Big Thrill: Ten Years of ThrillerFest: The Masters Speak by Kimberley Howe
- Special to the Big Thrill: The Black Mask of Crime Fiction by Gary Phillips
- International Thrills: Quentin Bates on the Shetland Islands’ first crime fiction festival
- Africa Scene: An Interview with Karin Brynard by Joanne Hichens
- The Fixer by Joseph Finder
- The Bomb Maker’s Son by Robert Rotstein
- What Lies Behind by J. T. Ellison
- A Good Killing by Allison Leotta
- Close Quarters by Adrian Magson
- The Wrong Man by Kate White
- Backfire by Elizabeth Goddard
- Gotteslüge by Kathrin Lange
- Devil in the Wires by Tim Lees
- The Memory Painter by Gwendolyn Womack
- Joshua and the Lightning Road by Donna Galanti
- The Boy Who Knew Too Much by Jeffrey Westhoff
- The Reluctant Matador by Mark Pryor
- Silent as the Grave and Blood is Thicker Than Water by Paul Gitsham
- Steam, Smoke & Mirrors by Colin Edmonds
- The Clockwork Crown by Beth Cato
- The Fraternity of the Soul Eater by Scott A. Lerner
- Losing Faith by Adam Mitzner
- Chilling Effect by Melissa F. Miller
- Night Tremors by Matt Coyle
- Trident Code by Thomas Waite
- Woman Without Fear by J. P. Touzeau
- Easy Target by Kay Thomas
- Secret Service by Mark Petry
- Black Tide by Patrick Freivald
- The Wild Inside by Christine Carbo
- Caffeine Can Kill by Bob Doerr
- The Devil Tree by Keith Rommel
- Skinshift by Lisa von Biela
- Code Human by N. J. Paige
- The Storm Murders by John Farrow
- White Knuckle by Eric Red
- Eighth Grave After Dark by Darynda Jones
- Hemophage by Stephen M. DeBock
- The Cure by J.G. Faherty
- Meat Cleaver by Paul Dale Anderson
- Axes to Grind by Paul Dale Anderson
- Murder a la Carte (Blunzengröstl) by Ines Eberl
- What Has Mother Done? by Barbara Petty
- The Euthanist by Alex Dolan
- Before it’s Too Late by Jane Isaac
- Dust of the Dead by John Palisano
- No Doves by Andy Boot
- The Fisherman by Vaughn C. Hardacker
- The Undying: Shades (Book Two) by Ethan Reid
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Gayle Lynds, Kay Kendall, Jenny Milchman, Carla Norton, Grant Blackwood, Alexandra Sokoloff, James Grippando, Tom Young, Lori Rader-Day, Mark Alpert, David Sakmyster, Nancy Cole Silverman, Clare Mackintosh, Russell James, Hope Schenk-de Michele and Paul Marquez with Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff, Anna Lee Huber, Vicki Pettersson, Eileen Magill, Lori Roy, Manda Scott, Winter Austin, Ronnie Allen, A. C. Fuller, Steve P. Vincent and many more!
New E-Releases from ITW Members
- Kissing the Man Next Door by Devon Vaughn Archer
- Napoleon – The Escape by Jan Needle
- See Him Die by Debra Webb
- Dressed to Kill by Lynn Cahoon
- Cross Examinations by John Hegenberger
- Legend of War Creek by Randall Reneau
- Deadline by J.J. Livingston
- The Warrior Monk (A Seventeen Series Short Story) by AD Starrling
- Honey Trap by E. J. Rand
- Rachel’s Folly by Monica Bruno
- The Secret Corps by Peter Telep
- 12+1: Twelve Short Thrillers and a Play by Raymond Benson
- Family Matters by K. J. Janssen
- Zero Dark Chocolate (A Miranda and Parker Mystery) #5 by Linsey Lanier
- Tor Maddox: Unleashed by Liz Coley
- Straight to Hell by John G. Hartness
- Mistake Creek by Rachel Amphlett
- Aurelia by Alison Morton
- Fortune’s Honor by Jenna Bennett
- Those of My Kind by Jennifer Loring
- The Ridealong by Michaelbrent Collings
- Day of the Dragonking: Book 1 of Last American Wizard by Terry Irving
- Courier by Terry Irving
New Audio Books from ITW Members
- Forbidden Ground by Karen Harper
- Don’t Close Your Eyes by Lawrence Kelter
- Shattered Secrets by Karen Harper
- Cold Light of Day by Toni Anderson
- Eighth Grave After Dark by Darynda Jones
- City of Ice by John Farrow
- ABC’S of Earth’s Creatures (A Children’s Picture Book) by R. Barri Flowers
- A Kangaroo’s Pouch (A Children’s Picture Book) by R. Barri Flowers
ThrillerFest X – Register Today!
ThrillerFest X – July 7th – 11th, Grand Hyatt, NYC.
Check out the Thrillerfest website, registration now available!
In 2015 we’ll be honoring:
- 2015 ThrillerMaster Nelson DeMille
- 2014 ThrillerMaster Scott Turow
- 2015 Silver Bullet Recipient Kathy Reichs
- 2014 Silver Bullet Recipient Brenda Novak
- 2015 Spotlight guest Mark Billingham
- 2015 Spotlight guest Charlaine Harris
- 2015 Spotlight guest Greg Iles
Some of the highlights of this year’s event include:
- Master CraftFest
- Thriller Awards Banquet
Want to learn more about ThrillerFest? Read a recap of the last ThrillerFest, ThrillerFest IX: Celebrating Ten Years of Innovation by Kimberley Howe and Anthony J. Franze.
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at TheBigThrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
Here’s what’s in store for June!
June 1 – 7: “How do you choose your character’s names?”
June 8 – 14: “What steps should writers take when they disagree with the publisher’s choice of a cover?”
June 15 – 21: “Readers of thrillers appreciate realism. How much can writers play fast and loose on politics, foreign relations, technology, careers or personality traits?”
June 22 – 28: “Finding a mentor, what should you look for in one?”
June 29 – July 5: NO ROUNDTABLE
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J.H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!
Congratulations to Becky Jacoby, the winner of this month’s BIG THRILL giveaway. Becky will receive an assortment of signed thrillers including The Secret Sister by Brenda Novak, EXXXIT by Svea Tornow, Backfire by Elizabeth Goddard, Hemophage by Stephen M. DeBock, The Euthanist by Alex Dolan, Black Wood by SJI Holliday, See Also Murder by Larry D. Sweazy, The Shadow Cartel by Layton Green, Broken by Cynthia Eden, Steam, Smoke & Mirrors by Colin Edmonds, Lethal Code by Thomas Waite, Trident Code by Thomas Waite, Eighth Grave After Dark by Darynda Jones, Critical Vulnerability and Chilling Effect by Melissa F. Miller.
All subscribers to THE BIG THRILL webzine are automatically eligible for the monthly drawing. CLICK HERE to subscribe to the BIG THRILL email.
Interested in becoming a member of the International Thriller Writers? ITW offers Active and Associate memberships.