Read the stories that were in the August edition of the Big Thrill.
In our August issue, go behind the scenes to learn how authors create their worlds. In the cover story, Megan Abbott shares how she crafted a dark and suspenseful narrative in a bright suburban community. In “Up Close,” Eric Van Lustbader discusses the inspirations for his stand-alone novel: corruption, war in the Middle East, and the occult. In “Turning Point,” Hank Phillippi Ryan talks about a beloved main character who investigates crime in Boston. And other top-notch novelists discuss their work, from Peter Robinson and Linda Fairstein to Rick Mofina and Susan Spann.
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines: Megan Abbott by Nancy Bilyeau
- Up Close: Eric Van Lustbader by Jessica Driscoll
- Turning Point: Hank Phillippi Ryan by Wendy Tyson
- Author Guided Tour: Dawn Ius in Las Vegas
- Industry Focus: Richard Kevolin by Layton Green
- Africa Scene: Michéle Rowe by Michael Sears
- When the Music’s Over by Peter Robinson
- Killer Look by Linda Fairstein
- Fatal Odds by John F. Dobbyn
- The Ninja’s Daughter by Susan Spann
- The Paris Librarian by Mark Pryor
- Free Fall by Rick Mofina
- Killfile by Christopher Farnsworth
- Still Mine by Amy Stuart
- Love Her Madly by M. Elizabeth Lee
- Eterna & Omega by Leanna Renee Hieber
- Deadly Encounter by DiAnn Mills
- Deadly Secrets by Jen Talty
- Stay Dead by Jessie Keane
- Storm Crashers by Richard Wickliffe
- The Short List by Frank Zafiro and Eric Beetner
- Tea Cups and Carnage by Lynn Cahoon
- Terror in Taffeta by Marla Cooper
- Two for the Show by Jonathan Stone
- The Four Night Run by William Lashner
- Dancing With the Tiger by Lili Wright
- Brain Storm by Elaine Viets
- Arrowood by Laura McHugh
- Lowcountry Book Club by Susan M. Boyer
- Nomad by James Swallow
- Friend of the Devil by Mark Spivak
- Shattered by Death by Catherine Finger
- Operation Goodwood by Sara Sheridan
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Andrew Gross, Brenda Novak, Karin Slaughter, Harlan Coben, Sally Andrews, Paige Tyler, Donna Galanti, Grant McKenzie, Dawn Ius, Judy Penz Sheluk and many more!
New E-Releases from ITW Members
- Isolation by SJ Gardiner
- Shadow of Death – The Team IV by David M. Salkin
- A Touch of Morning Calm by Wayne Zurl
- Cold London Blues by Paul D Brazill
- Untouchable by Sibel Hodge
- The Price of Normal by Meb Bryant
- Shattered Spirits by L.L. Bartlett
- Brutal Obsession (The Safeguard Series, Book One) by Kennedy Layne
- The Assassin’s Case by Craig Alexander
- 44 Caliber Funk: Tales of Crime, Soul and Payback by Gary Phillips
- Born To Love: Keiki & Lia Thriller (Lei Crime Kindle Worlds) by Amy Shojai
- The Warrior’s Seal by Ronie Kendig
- Cougar Chaos by A.J. Marcus
- The Mystery of Nevermore by C.S. Poe
- Confessions by Ethan Stone
- An Eye For An Eye (Matthew Richter Thriller Book #2) by L.D. Beyer
- The Devil’s Due by L.D. Beyer
- Safe Havens: Primed Charge (A Sean Havens Black Ops Novel) by J.T. Patten
- What Meets the Eye by David DeLee
- Redline by Alex Shaw
- Unity by Jeremy Robinson
- The Media Murders by Lee Gimenez
New Audio Books from ITW Members
- The Prisoner of Hell Gate by Dana I. Wolff
- Dead in Kihei (Eddie Naku Maui Mysteries Book 2) by R. Barri Flowers
- In the Flesh by Ethan Stone
- Permed to Death by Nancy J. Cohen
- Cross Examinations by John Hegenberger
Missed ThrillerFest XI?
From Steve Berry to Heather Graham to Meg Gardiner to David Corbett to Jane Stine and many others, we’ve got it all. Learn from the masters while customizing your learning experience. You pick and choose which session(s) you want and only buy what you want.
And don’t forget to stay tuned here. Registration for next year’s conference will go be open in September. It’s going to be another great one. We hope to see you there!
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for August. It’s going to be a thriller!
August 1 – 7: “Some writing teachers suggest that tone is about attitude and that tone should be consistent throughout a book. But doesn’t consistency counter the unexpected and suspense?”
August 8 – 14: “How do writers alter thrillers for appeal to a YA audience?”
August 15 – 21: “Who is your favorite protagonist for all time – and why?”
August 22 – 28: “Are thrillers naturally noir?”
August 29 – September 4: “Do thriller writers have a responsibility not to put ideas into the heads of would-be criminals?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J.H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Interested in becoming a member of the International Thriller Writers? ITW offers Active and Associate memberships.
Latest posts by ITW (see all)
- December 10 – 16: “What are the happy, accidental finds you’ve come across during the research of a novel?” - December 9, 2018
- December 3 – 9: “Who is your favorite fictional mentor?” - December 2, 2018
- The December 2018 Edition of The Big Thrill is Here! - November 30, 2018