Read the stories that were in the September edition of the Big Thrill.
September is back-to-school time for kids–and for readers of The Big Thrill too, although the lessons could not possibly be more entertaining than in this month’s stories. Cover subject Robert Dugoni not only tells us how he crafts his bestselling books but explains why so many lawyers long to become novelists and why Seattle is the perfect place to dispose of a body (yes, really).
In “International Thrills,” Simon Toyne takes us along on his journeys, whether it’s to a hilltop of southern France or a barren desert in Arizona, to research and write his novels. Roger Smith of “Africa Scene” gives an enthralling interview on how his fiction deals with the hypocrisies of modern Cape Town, while Charles Todd discusses the stress suffered by his characters in World War I England and France.
This month marks a return of our popular “Industry Spotlight,” with attorney Susan Spann shedding some light on the dark corners of publishing contracts. Thrillerfest Executive Director Kimberley Howe tells why this year’s conference hit some all-time highs. And Art Taylor delivers a frank and fascinating perspective on just what it’s like to edit a crime anthology.
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines with Robert Dugoni on Her Final Breath, interview by Robert Rotstein
- International Thrills: An interview with Simon Toyne on his new Arizona Thriller, by J.F. Penn
- Africa Scene: An interview with Roger Smith on Cape Town corruption, by Joanne Hichens
- Industry Spotlight: Susan Spann on the Five Things This Publishing Lawyer Wishes Authors Knew
- Thrillerfest 2015: Kimberly Howe on All the High Points!
- Dangers Faced By a World War I Nurse, by Charles Todd
- Murder Under the Oaks: Behind the Scenes of Editing a Crime-Fiction Collection by Art Taylor
- Blind Justice by Ethan Cross
- Dance of the Bones by J. A. Jance
- Hostage Taker by Stefanie Pintoff
- Hollow Man by Mark Pryor
- Peril by Ponytail by Nancy J. Cohen
- Miracle Drug by Richard L. Mabry
- Speak the Dead by Grant McKenzie
- On the Road With Del & Louise: A Novel in Stories by Art Taylor
- To Love a Traitor by J. L. Merrow
- Gone Cold by Douglas Corleone
- Dawn of the Deb by Laurie Moore
- Hard Latitudes by Baron R. Birtcher
- Second to Nun by Alice Loweecey
- Broken Chain by Lisa von Biela
- Idyll Threats by Stephanie Gayle
- Just Another Termination by Linda Thorne
- Primal Force by D. D. Ayres
- Error in Diagnosis by Mason Lucas
- No Hard Feelings by Mark Coggins
- The Gates of Evangeline by Hester Young
- The Grid by Harry Hunsicker
- The Ripper Gene by Michael Ransom
- Robert B. Parker’s The Devil Wins by Reed Farrel Coleman
- Slaughter by John Lutz
- The Fury by Shane Gericke
- The Smoke Hunter by Jacquelyn Benson
- Search and Destroy by James Hilton
- The Girl in the Maze by R. K. Jackson
- Killer Run by Lynn Cahoon
- Contract to Kill by Andrew Peterson
- Code of Honor by Alan Gratz
- Anne & Henry by Dawn Ius
- Dante’s Dilemma by Lynne Raimondo
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Karin Slaughter, Sue Grafton, Jon Land, Laura Benedict, Rick Mofina, Robert Palmer, DiAnn Mills, Cynthia Eden, Kira Peikoff, Tom Avitabile, Diane Kelly, J. Sydney Jones, Richard Godwin, Jennifer Hillier, Maynard Sims and many more!
New E-Releases from ITW Members
- Jack and Joe by Diane Capri
- Treasure Hunt by J. H. Bográn
- Fool’s Mate by Ritchie Perry
- Odd Odyssey by Benni Chisholm
- Pinking Shears by Paul Dale Anderson
- Warrior by Terry Irving
- The Neon Boneyard by Paul D. Brazill
- Error in Diagnosis by Mason Lucas M.D.
- The Lilitu (Lilitu Trilogy Part I) by Toby Tate
- A Pirate’s Time Served by Chris Malburg
- The Dollhouse in the Crawlspace by Ellen Byerrum
- Murder on Kaanapali Beach (Leila Kahana Mysteries, Book 2) by R. Barri Flowers
- Final Extinction by Michael Curley
- Blindsided by E. J. Rand
- Herculean by Jeremy Robinson and Sean Ellis
- Pretty Enough to Catch Her by J.D. Horn
- Tripl3 Cross by John Hegenberger
- Where the Memories Lie by Sibel Hodge
- Deviance (A London Psychic Thriller) by J.F.Penn
- Deadly Trouble (Vegas Vixens series) by J.L. Hammer
- Skyflash by Lee Gimenez
- The Tomb by Lynn Sholes & Joe Moore
- The Neon Moon: A Roman Dalton Anthology by Paul D. Brazill
- Curiously Dark Tales by Debbie Christiana
New Audio Books from ITW Members
- Finding Claire Fletcher by Lisa Regan
- Cold Black by Alex Shaw
- Delta Force Vampire: Insurgency by Alex Shaw
Missed ThrillerFest X in 2015?
Get the CDS & MP3s from CraftFest and ThrillerFest here:
From Steve Berry to Donald Maass to Brenda Novak to Greg Iles to Andrew Gross and many others, we’ve got it all. Learn from the masters while customizing your learning experience. You pick and choose which session(s) you want and only buy what you want.
And don’t forget to stay tuned here. Registration for next year’s conference will go be open in September. It’s going to be another great one. We hope to see you there!
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for September. You won’t want to miss it!
August 31 – September 6: “Does nonfiction writing invigorate your fiction?”
September 7 – 13: “Writers must wear many hats. Do you spend more time on your research, writing or marketing?”
September 14 – 20: “What do you value most in a copy editor? Consistency, logic, commas?”
September 21 – 27: “Have you given up your day job to write thrillers full-time? What advice do you have for others considering this leap?”
September 28 – October 4: “Must a thriller prompt fear in readers? Can a plot work without that emotion?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J.H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!
Congratulations to Leila Emadin, the winner of this month’s BIG THRILL giveaway. Leila will receive an assortment of signed thrillers including Skinshift by Lisa von Biela, The Hanged Man’s Noose by Judy Penz Sheluk, Idyll Threats by Stephanie Gayle, The Eternal World by Christopher Farnsworth and The Eye of Ra by Jeanne D’Août.
All subscribers to THE BIG THRILL webzine are automatically eligible for the monthly drawing.
CLICK HERE to subscribe to the BIG THRILL email.
Interested in becoming a member of the International Thriller Writers? ITW offers Active and Associate memberships.