The September 2016 Edition of The Big Thrill
Read the stories that were in the September edition of the Big Thrill.
The September issue showcases writers who tackle topics of real meaning. Yes, these books are page-turners, and they’re written with depth and heart too. Andrew Gross, our cover story, talks about what path he followed that led to The One Man, his thriller set in World War II. Karin Slaughter talks about The Kept Woman and how humor helps when she must travel to dark places of the soul. Other must-reads: Brenda Novak, Reed Farrel Coleman, Clare Mackintosh, and the trio of Tim O’Mara, Charles Salzberg and Ross Klavan on their book of crime-fiction novellas. Plus, Dawn Ius on her young adult car-heist thriller and Donna Galanti on her middle grade suspense adventure.
It’s one of our favorite times of year: Kimberley Howe’s report on ThrillerFest 2016, so we can relive the high points! Another story related to Thrillerfest: our interview with hot military-thriller team Brian Andrews and Jeff Wilson, who met as debuts at the ITW conference in 2012.
In this month’s “Guided Tour,” J.H. Bográn reveals the beauty and rich history of Honduras, and in “Get It Right,” R.G. Belsky sets us straight on writing about the newsroom. (Such as, Stop writing “Stop the presses!”)
Other compelling interviews in the issue: Wendy Walker, Sally Andrew, Grant McKenzie, Paul Kemprecos and more.
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines: Interview with Andrew Gross by Josie Brown
- International Thrills: Clare Mackintosh by Joanna Penn
- Africa Scene: Sally Andrew by Michael Sears
- Up Close: Karin Slaughter by Dawn Ius
- Get It Right: R.G. Belsky on the Job of Journalists
- Author Guided Tour: J.H. Bográn on Honduras
- Industry Focus: Kimberley Howe’s Report on Thrillerfest
- Debt to Pay by Reed Farrell Coleman
- Triple Shot by Ross Klavan, Tim O’Mara and Charles Salzberg
- Her Darkest Nightmare by Brenda Novak
- Her Rogue Alpha by Paige Tyler
- Overdrive by Dawn Ius
- Joshua and the Arrow Realm by Donna Galanti
- Tier One by Brian Andrews & Jeff Wilson
- Outside the Lines by Sheila Lowe
- All Is Not Forgotten by Wendy Walker
- The Butcher’s Son by Grant Mckenzie
- Whispers Beyond the Veil by Jessica Estevao
- What Gold Buys: A Silver Rush Mystery by Ann Parker
- Festival of Fear by Ron Parham
- Skeletons in the Attic by Judy Penz Sheluk
- A Living Grave by Robert E. Dunn
- Stripped Bare by Shannon Baker
- Recall by David McCaleb
- Shadow of Death by David M. Salkin
- Grand Trunk and Shearer by Ian Truman
- Wanted by Marissa Garner
- Swann Songs by Arlene Kay
- Blood of Brothers by Richard Edde
- Salem’s Cipher by Jess Lourey
- The Minoan Cipher by Paul Kemprecos
- MJ-12: Inception by Michael J. Martinez
- The Breastplate of Faith and Love by Paul McGoran
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Allen Eskens, R.G. Belsky, Jon Land, Alex Kava, Charlaine Harris, Robert Dugoni, Diane Capri, Christina Hoag, Leslie Budewitz, Mary SanGiovanni and many more!
New E-Releases from ITW Members
- Penitence by Ann Simas
- The Medinandi License by Randall Reneau
- Disruption by Chuck Barrett
- Murder of the Hula Dancers (Leila Kahana Mysteries, Book 3) by R. Barri Flowers
- The Yemen Contract by Arthur Kerns
- Insurrectio by Alison Morton
New Audio Books from ITW Members
- Inceptio by Alison Morton
Missed ThrillerFest XI?
Get the CDS & MP3s from CraftFest and ThrillerFest here:
From Steve Berry to Heather Graham to Meg Gardiner to David Corbett to Jane Stine and many others, we’ve got it all. Learn from the masters while customizing your learning experience. You pick and choose which session(s) you want and only buy what you want.
And don’t forget to stay tuned here. Registration for next year’s conference will be open in this month. It’s going to be another great one. We hope to see you there!
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for September. It’s going to be a thriller!
September 5 – 11: “What is the best point of view for a thriller?”
September 12 – 18: “Have you created characters with moral ambiguity? How difficult are they to become believable?”
September 19 – 25: “Do you interact with readers on Goodreads, or any other social media?”
September 26 – October 2: “Can there be too many surprises in a thriller plot? Must each thrill help move the plot?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J.H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!
Congratulations to Amy Strauch, the winner of this month’s BIG THRILL giveaway. Amy will receive an assortment of signed thrillers including Air Time by Hank Phillippi Ryan, The Ninja’s Daughter by Susan Spann, Swann Songs by Arlene Kay, Field of Graves by J.T. Ellison, Tag, You’re Dead by J.C. Lane, Lowcountry Book Club by Susan M. Boyer and Ice Station Nautilus by Rick Campbell.
All subscribers to The Big Thrill webzine are automatically eligible for the monthly drawing. CLICK HERE to subscribe to The Big Thrill.
- No One Needs to Know by Lindsay Cameron - May 2, 2023
- The Comanche Code by Mike Pace - May 2, 2023
- The Right Road by Yvonne Rediger - May 2, 2023