The July 2020 Edition of The Big Thrill
Debut authors are often paralyzed when it comes to writing that second book—but what kind of pressure comes with writing the follow-up to a New York Times bestseller that also spawned a hit Netflix movie starring Sandra Bullock? Dawn Ius goes Between the Lines with Josh Malerman to talk about his upcoming release MALORIE, the terrifying sequel to Bird Box. Plus, Riley Sager gives us the scoop on HOME BEFORE DARK, Rachel Amphlett, Timothy Jay Smith, Karen Hamilton, and Katie Tallo dish on their thrilling new releases, and Sherri Crichton weighs in on what her late husband would have thought about the pandemic—and how one of his iconic sci-fi thrillers may have even foretold it. And, in this month’s Africa Scene, four acclaimed authors share insight into writing about murder in Africa. All this and more—the July issue of The Big Thrill is live now!
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines: Josh Malerman by Dawn Ius
- On the Cover: Karen Hamilton by Millie Naylor Hast
- Up Close: Timothy Jay Smith by E. M. Powell
- Africa Scene: Murder Out of Africa by Michael Sears
- On the Cover: Riley Sager by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: Rachel Amphlett by Jaden Terrell
- ITW Awards: Another Look at the Nominees by April Snellings
- An Interview with Sherri Crichton by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: Katie Tallo by K. L. Romo
- BookTrib Spotlight: Jeffrey B. Burton by Neil Nyren
- AudioFile Spotlight: Golden Voice J. D. Jackson’s Audiobook Mysteries
- The Crushing Depths by Dani Pettrey
- Never the Crime by Colin Conway and Frank Zafiro
- The Girl Under The Bridge by Fred Zackel
- Absolution by John A. Vanek
- No One Will Hear Your Screams by Thomas O’Callaghan
- Good Night, Sweet Daddy-O by John A. Connell
- The Adventure of the Murdered Midwife by Liese Sherwood-Fabre
- This is How I Lied by Heather Gudenkauf
- Payback by Ronald S. Barak
- Driving Reign by T. G. Wolff
- The Mountain by Steven Konkoly
- Still Knife Painting by Cheryl Hollon
- A Light In the Dark by Elisabeth Rose
- Let the Guilty Pay by Rick Treon
- A Desperate Place by Jennifer Greer
- Edinburgh Midnight by Carole Lawrence
- Dead End by Mauro Azzano
- Tie Die by Max Tomlinson
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Hank Phillippi Ryan, Karen Dionne, Julia Heaberlin, Jenny Milchman, Jon Land, Jeff Rovin, Amber Garza, Chris Mooney, Guillermo del Toro & Chuck Hogan, Alex Gilly, Poppy Gee, Vanessa Savage, Christopher Reich, Alex Segura, Mark Edward Langley, Debra Webb, Alexandra Burt, Drew Murray, Kat Martin, Cathy Ace, Gary McAvoy, Bob Bickford, David Hewson, Addison Brae and many more!
Virtual ThrillerFest XV (2020) Starts July 6!
Due to the pandemic this year, we’ve canceled the in-person ThrillerFest Conference at the Grand Hyatt in New York City this July. The health and safety of our attendees is our top priority.
But we have fantastic news! We are offering a virtual conference so our attendees can remain safe in the comfort of their homes yet still participate in the learning and camaraderie that is the hallmark of the annual conference of the International Thriller Writers. No travel, no hotel stay, but an even more extensive array of bestselling ITW authors who can help you polish your thrillers and top drawer New York agents and editors to whom you can pitch—along with attractive prices!
We have an outstanding array of guests and publishing professionals, with this year’s event including a Free Debut Authors’ Presentation, Free ITW Author Videos, and a Free Awards Presentation.
Our Mega CraftFest, Master Class, Pitching Sessions, Consulting Sessions, and CareerFest will all be offered from July 6th through the 14th.
CLICK HERE to learn more, or Register Today!
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discusses everything from what they love about writing thrillers to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for this month. You won’t want to miss it!
July 6 – 12: “Do you encourage your family and community to read more? What can we do to gain future readers?”
July 13 – 19: “Which determines character behavior the most – cultural background, education, or wealth?”
July 20 – 26: “Entertainment? Escapism? Provoke thought? What is the primary job of a thriller?”
July 27 – August 2: “Mentors can be some of the most intriguing characters in fiction as they are often deeply layered and, at times, seem counterintuitive. What is foremost in your mind as you create your mentor characters?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J. H. Bográn.
The NEW Big Thrill Book Giveaway
Congratulations to Diane C. and Janet N. winners of June’s New The Big Thrill Book Giveaway!
They each received 10 signed thrillers from ITW members.
On July 17 we’ll draw 4 lucky subscribers to win 5 thrillers each!
You could be our next winner!
Current and new subscribers welcome.
The Room of White Fire by T. Jefferson Parker
Falling Darkness by Karen Harper
Firewolf by Jenna Kernan
Trust Me by Richard Z. Santos
This Is How I Lied by Heather Gudenkauf
Even If It Kills Her by Kate White
Critical Decision by Richard L. Mabry, M.D.
Disappearing Act by Ann Simas
Dark Tomorrow by Reece Hirsch
Vineyard Prey by Carole Price
Awakening by Stephan Schwartz
The Complaint by Tom Breen
The Paloma Crossing by Randall Reneau
Bum Deal by Paul Levine
Thorpe’s Candle by Joe Moore
The Warrior’s Way by Jenna Kernan
The Measure of the Moon by Lisa Preston
Impulse to Murder by Laura Munder
Beyond Control by Kat Martin
Pretend You’re Safe by Alexandra Ivy
- Adrift by Lisa Brideau - June 1, 2023
- Fortune’s Cookie by Ann Simas - June 1, 2023
- A Nuclear Reaction by David Beckler - June 1, 2023