The January 2016 Edition of The Big Thrill
Read the stories that were in the January edition of the Big Thrill.
We’re proud to kick off 2016 with a killer lineup of stories. The one-and-only Ian Rankin takes you inside his writing process, while sharing his thoughts on both morality and mortality. Publisher Anne Trager delivers the second part in her much-talked-about series on being published in France. Dawn Ius captures the appeal of the ever-more-popular domestic thriller and profiles one of its most talented authors, Carla Buckley. And prepare for a lively interview with Andy Martin, author of the provocative Reacher Said Nothing: Lee Child and the Making of Make Me.
We predict these two stories will now find a place in your writer’s toolkit: Brian Feinblum’s “The Five Things This Publicist Wishes Authors Knew” and James Scott Bell’s Craft Fix column on “Lifting the Middle of the Thriller Plot.”
Don’t miss our interviews with amazing authors like Thomas Perry, Jeff Abbott, Deon Meyer, J.S. Law, Brad Taylor, Allison Brennan and Laura Griffin, Elizabeth Heiter, Peter Tonkin and many more!
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines with Ian Rankin on Even Dogs in The Wild, interview by Nancy Bilyeau
- International Thrills: An interview with J.S. Law
- Africa Scene: An interview with Deon Meyer
- Industry Focus: Being Published in France, Part Two, by Anne Trager
- Industry Focus: The Five Things This Media Expert Wishes Authors Knew, by Brian Feinblum
- Trend Watch: The Unstoppable Domestic Thriller, by Dawn Ius
- Craft Fix: Lifting the Middle of the Thriller Plot, by James Scott Bell
- The First Order by Jeff Abbott
- The Forgotten Soldier by Brad Taylor
- Forty Thieves by Thomas Perry
- The Good Goodbye by Carla Buckley
- Lost and Found by Allison Brennan & Laura Griffin
- Reacher Said Nothing: Lee Child and the Making of Make Me by Andy Martin
- Headed for Trouble by Shiloh Walker
- Where Lemons Bloom by Blair McDowell
- I’ll Never Let You Go by Mary Burton
- Blind Reef by Peter Tonkin
- Powerless by Tim Washburn
- The Locker by Adrian Magson
- Orchard Grove by Vincent Zandri
- The Bonus Boys by Jan Needle
- Seized by Elizabeth Heiter
- A Thousand Falling Crows by Larry D. Sweazy
- The Necessary Murder of Nonie Blake by Terry Shames
- The Masquerading Magician by Gigi Pandian
- The Dirt on Ninth Grave by Darynda Jones
- Wolf’s Blind by W.D. Gagliani
- The Gods of HP Lovecraft edited by Aaron French
- Helsinki Homicide: Behind Closed Doors by Jarkko Sipila
- The Gaf Killer: Son of Zodiac by Jerry Otis
- Murder in Tuxedo Park by William E. Lemanski
- Knight’s Cross by Christine Kling
- The Mystery of the Lone Wolf Killer by Unni Turrettini
- Truth Always Kills by Rick Ollerman
- Blaze by Kristina Stanley
- A Killer Necklace by Melodie Campbell & Cynthia St-Pierre
- Show and Tell by Amy Shojai
- Brute Force by Marc Cameron
- The Galapagos Agenda by Leonardo Wild
- Track Three by John H. Gibson
- Ruined Days by Guinotte Wise
- Dig Two Graves by Kim Powers
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Barry Eisler, Barry Lancet, Gregg Hurwitz, Carol Goodman, Hank Phillippi Ryan, Reed Farrell Coleman, Marcus Sakey, Diane Vallere, Drew Chapman, J.D. Rhoades, L.J. Sellers, Kat Martin, Stefanie Ross, Charlie Donlea, Christine Feehan, John A. Connell and many more!
New E-Releases from ITW Members
- With Murderous Intent by Maggi Andersen
- Subterrestrial by Michael McBride
- Kill Me Quick! by Paul D. Brazill
- The Couple Next Door by Rick R. Reed
- Ardennes Sniper: A World War II Thriller by David Healey
- The Woman Who Tasted Death by DG Wood
- Adverse Possession by Jenna Bennett
- A Secondhand Lie by Pamela Crane
- The Unforgiven by Jo Chumas
- Alibi for Evil by Michael Haskins
- No Evil by Maynard Sims
- The Spithead Nymph by Jan Needle
- Risen Gods by J.F.Penn
- Takedown by David DeLee
- Leila Kahana Maui Mysteries Bundle: Murder in Maui\Murder on Kaanapali Beach by R. Barri Flowers
- Christmas Love Bundle: Christmas Diamonds and Christmas Heat by Devon Vaughn Archer
- The Bitter End by Linda Hall
New Audio Books from ITW Members
- The Advocate’s Geocache by Teresa Burrell
- Seized by Elizabeth Heiter
- The Guns of Santa Sangre by Eric Red
- A Plague Of Echoes by Maynard Sims
- Stillwater by Maynard Sims
- Midnight Fire by Lisa Marie Rice
- The Cottoncrest Curse by Michael H. Rubin
- The Fall Guy by Simon Wood
ThrillerFest XI: Registration is Now Open!
Your ThrillerFest team is already hard at work planning for next July’s conference where we’ll feature 2016 ThrillerMaster Heather Graham, 2016 Silver Bullet Recipient John Lescroart, and bestselling authors C.J. Box, Gillian Flynn and Walter Mosley. Like a compelling page-turner, we need to keep you in suspense, so stay tuned for more details!
Master CraftFest: Don’t miss this opportunity to study with the Masters of the genre in a one-day intensive workshop to take your writing to the next level. Everyone is welcome, from beginning writers to well-established authors. The instructors this year will be Steve Berry, Grant Blackwood, David Corbett, Meg Gardiner, Heather Graham, Andrew Gross, Richard Krevolin (Screen Writing) and Gayle Lynds.
CraftFest: Director D.P. Lyle, M.D. is already recruiting talented teachers to broaden your knowledge about the craft of writing as well as experts in fields like forensics and firearms so you can get the facts right in your novel.
PitchFest: PitchFest is dedicated to pitching your project face-to-face to agents, editors, and producers. It’s an unprecedented opportunity for writers looking to get or change agents. Check out some success stories!
ThrillerFest: We’re planning some phenomenal panels, always trying to innovate and entertain. Join us for the spotlight interviews, cocktail parties, workshops, and fabulous networking opportunities. Please check the volunteer box during registration, as it’s a great way to make new friends and help out ITW.
ITW’s Third Annual Online ThrillerSchool!
Starts March 14th, 2016!
Seven Weeks! Seven Bestselling Authors!
Join Lee Child, Meg Gardiner, David Corbett, James Scott Bell, Peter James, Hank Phillippi Ryan and F. Paul Wilson.
In this seven-week program, which begins March 14nd, 2016, the craft of thriller writing will be front and center. Each instructor will teach an aspect of craft though a podcast, written materials that include further reading and study suggestions, and an entire week of online Q&A with the registered students. The goal is simple: To make each student a better writer.
Like the past two years, the online school will fill up very quickly, so register soon. Visit ITW’s Online Thriller School for more information.
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for January. You won’t want to miss it!
January 4 – 10: “The internet is full of helpful websites for crafting and researching plots, history, characters, setting. But are random character generators going too far?”
January 11 – 17: “Are the lines between good and evil increasingly more ambiguous in modern thrillers?”
January 18 – 24: “Conciseness, partial clues, short chapters – describe your favorite techniques for strong pacing.”
January 25 – 31: “The presidential campaign is starting to heat up. Do thriller writers have conservative or liberal leanings – or are they apolitical?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J.H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!
- No One Needs to Know by Lindsay Cameron - May 2, 2023
- The Comanche Code by Mike Pace - May 2, 2023
- The Right Road by Yvonne Rediger - May 2, 2023