Read the stories that were in the October edition of The Big Thrill.
In this issue, we kick off a new column, “Tales From the Script,” with an interview by April Snellings with the one and only R. L. Stine and how he navigates the film and television world. Also in this issue are interviews with Steven James, J. D. Barker, Kyle Mills, Lisa Unger, Brenda Novak, Wendy Tyson, E. M. Powell and 30 more. In “Author Guided Tour,” J. A. Jance shares the lowdown on Arizona’s classic crime spots and in “Trend Report,” Dawn Ius investigates whether the marching orders have changed for today’s military thrillers.
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Tales From The Script: R. L. Stine’s Goosebumps Movie & More by April Snellings
- Between the Lines: J. D. Barker by Nancy Bilyeau
- Between the Lines: Lisa Unger by Dawn Ius
- Between the Lines: Wendy Tyson by E. M. Powell
- Trend Report: Military Thrillers on the March by Dawn Ius
- Author Guided Tour: J. A. Jance Travels to Arizona
- Neil Nyren’s Spotlight: Stuart Turton
- Up Close: Kyle Mills by Steve Vincent
- Up Close: Steven James by R. G. Belsky
- Up Close: Brenda Novak by Nancy Bilyeau
- Up Close: Christa Faust & Gary Phillips by J. H. Bográn
- Africa Scene: Stephen Holgate by Michael Sears
- Two Thriller Writers Share Their Halloween Plans by Dawn Ius
- The Monastery Murders (Stanton & Barling Book #2) by E. M. Powell
- Shot of Love by R. J. Jagger
- Edinburgh Dusk by Carole Lawrence
- Mardi Gras Murder by Ellen Byron
- Trust But Verify by Karna Small Bodman
- Shelter Cove by Colin Campbell
- The Life and Times of Sherlock Holmes: Essays on Victorian England by Liese Sherwood-Fabre
- Game of the Gods by Jay Schiffman
- Deadly Vengeance by Ava Bradley
- That Which Grows Wild: 16 Tales of Dark Fiction by Eric J. Guignard
- What She Gave Away by Catharine Riggs
- The Spying Moon by Sandra Ruttan
- Mental State by M. Todd Henderson
- The Devil’s Wind by Steve Goble
- The Black Car Business Volume 2 by Lawrence Kelter
- Trimmed to Death by Nancy J. Cohen
- Beach Body by Jennifer Soosar
- Harms´ Way by Thomas Rayfiel
- The Spirit in Question (Lila Maclean Academic Mystery #3) by Cynthia Kuhn
- The Blue Kingfisher by Erica Wright
- Wish to Die by Robert Walton
- Repetition Kills You by Tom Leins
- Naked Truth by Rick Pullen
- Brothers of Blood by Tristan Drue Rogers
- Path of the Dead by Mark Edward Langley
- Into the Sounds by Lee Murray
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from C. J. Lyons, Debra Webb, Robert Rotstein, Lee Child, Wendy Webb, Vicki Lane, Math Bird, Libby Fischer Hellmann, Howard Levine, G. A. Chamberlin, Lynn Cahoon, Susanna Beard, Jeffrey Layton, Michaelbrent Collings, Bruce Robert Coffin, J. J. Hensley, Tom Pitts, Ovidia Yu, Steven Max Russo, Steven Cooper, Joseph Fink, Jay A. Gertzman, Roger Angle, J. Lincoln Fenn, Karen Harper, Dorothy St. James and many more!
ThrillerFest XIV: Early Bird Registration is Open!
Your ThrillerFest team proudly announces that the 2019 conference, held at the Grand Hyatt, New York City from July 9-13, is open for Early Bird Registration now. Don’t wait! Take advantage of the lowest prices available for the conference. Lock in your price for this great event now.
ThrillerFest XIV will include:
- 2019 ThrillerMaster John Sandford
- 2019 Silver Bullet Award recipient Harlan Coben
- 2018 Silver Bullet Award recipient James Rollins
- 2019 Thriller Legend Margaret Marbury
ConsultFest: New! One-on-one fifteen minute session with a top acquiring editor or agent to get instant feedback on your query letter or first two pages of your manuscript. The writer will be assigned a time during CraftFest or ThrillerFest. Up to two consultations may be purchased when registering for any package.
ATF Pre-Conference Workshop: Presented by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). Add authenticity to your thrillers! The pre-conference ATF Workshop is a limited attendance event on the day before the main elements of the ThrillerFest conference. Space is limited and has previously sold out quickly. The workshop will be held at the Grand Hyatt.
Master Class: This one-day intensive writing program allows your instructor to focus on your craft and your story. Everyone is welcome, from beginning writers to well-established authors. Teachers for Master Class 2019 include top-selling members of ITW who will work with you in a small class setting. Instructors this year will be Grant Blackwood, David Corbett, Karen Dionne, Robert Dugoni, Steven James, D.P. Lyle, Gayle Lynds, Donald Maass, and F. Paul Wilson. Space is limited, so sign up soon.
CraftFest: Learn the craft of thriller writing from the best in the genre! Hone your thriller writing skills on many topics to provide you with the tools needed to take your writing to the next level. Special feature: CareerFest! Now that you’ve written that sparkling manuscript, where do you go from there? You don’t want to miss it!
PitchFest: Face-to-face pitching with fifty-plus top agents and acquiring editors who are actively looking for new thriller writer clients. Don’t miss this exceptional opportunity. Purchase an admittance package that includes PitchFest.
ThrillerFest: Spotlight guests, extraordinary programming, author book signings, and camaraderie. Includes the ThrillerFest Grand Opening Reception on Thursday evening, July 11th.
Thriller Awards Banquet: John Sandford will receive his 2019 ThrillerMaster Lifetime Achievement award. 2018 Silver Bullet Award James Rollins will present the 2019 Silver Bullet Award to Harlan Coben. Margaret Marbury will receive the 2019 Thriller Legend Award. All Thriller Award Winners will be announced. Fun, entertainment, and before and after cocktail parties!
Conference elements are priced flexibly to allow you more choices to fit your pocketbook and tailor your experience as you wish. When combining several events, you’ll receive a discount off individual item prices. Early Bird prices are the lowest available, so don’t wait!
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discusses everything from what they love about writing thrillers to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for this month. You won’t want to miss it!
October 1 – 7: “Besides Google, what’s the most common research tool?”
October 8 – 14: “Describe how or why a stand-alone novel would become a series.”
October 15 – 21: “How much value do authors place in social media?”
October 22 – 28: “What can thriller writers learn from the horror genre?”
October 29 – November 4: “Do authors sometimes regret killing off a character?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J. H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!
The NEW Big Thrill Book Giveaway
Congratulations to Cathleen S.,
the winner of the September Big Thrill Book Giveaway!
Cathleen will receive a box of thrillers, including:
CLICK HERE to enter our next Big Thrill Giveaway. You could be our next winner!
Interested in becoming a member of the International Thriller Writers? ITW offers Active and Associate memberships.