John le Carré understood something special about human nature—deep down, most of us want to be spies. It’s perhaps one of the reasons his novels resonated so well. In this ICONS feature, Dawn Ius talks to authors who admired and were inspired by the late author, John le Carré, arguably one of the greatest espionage writers in the literary world. Plus, Michael Sears gets the scoop on a new Joanne Hichens novel in Africa Scene, and we get up close and personal with genre rock stars Gregg Hurwitz, Walter Mosley, Luanne Rice, Joe Ide, Jonathan Kellerman, and many more. There’s a lot to love about the February issue of The Big Thrill—and it’s live now.
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- ICONS: John le Carré by Dawn Ius
- On the Cover: Brad Taylor by Esme Addison
- Up Close: Paul Vidich by Karen Hugg
- Up Close: Gregg Hurwitz by Adam Meyer
- On the Cover: Alison Wisdom by E.M. Powell
- Up Close: Joe Ide by Jaden Terrell
- Up Close: Elle Cosimano by Millie Naylor Hast
- Up Close: Jonathan Kellerman by Dawn Ius
- AudioFile Spotlight: Remembering John le Carré, Master of Spy Thrillers
- Up Close: Michael Koryta by Rick Pullen
- Up Close: Luanne Rice by Angela Channel
- Up Close: Daniel Pyne by Dawn Ius
- On the Cover: Walter Mosley by Austin Camacho
- Up Close: Jon Land by K.L. Romo
- Up Close: Joshua Hood by J.H. Bográn
- Up Close: Charles Todd by K.L. Romo
- Africa Scene: Joanne Hichens by Michael Sears
- Up Close: Andrew Mayne by Dawn Ius
- Shadow Falls by Wendy Dranfield
- Genesys X by B. J. Graf
- The Vatican Conspiracy by Peter Hogenkamp
- Killer Content by Olivia Blacke
- Branded by Eric Red
- Amid Rage by Joel Burcat
- Pursuit of the Truth by K.D. Richards
- Gunny Mac Private Detective Trouble in Chinatown by Steven Walker
- Death on the Homefront by Frances McNamara
- Hide In Place by Emilya Naymark
- Obsession by Patricia Bradley
- A Question of Time by James Stejskal
- Death on the Boardwalk by Caleb Wygal
- Hit or Miss by Jeff Markowitz
- The Thousand Dollar Patriot by J.T. Brannan
- The Writer’s Tool Box by Daniel C. Lorti
- Pretty Little Wife by Darby Kane
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Heather Graham, Alma Katsu, Harlan Coben, Dean Koontz, J.T. Ellison, Joel C. Rosenberg, J.A. Jance, Rick Mofina, John Farrow, Alison Morton, Don Bentley, Peter Swanson, Victoria Helen Stone, Peter Robinson, Lynn H. Blackburn, Nadine Matheson, Christina McDonald, Larysa Rychkova, Alan Brenham, Kim Taylor Blakemore, Glenn A. Bruce, Russ Thomas, Donald J. Bingle and many more!
Virtual ThrillerFest XVI – Save The Date!
The ThrillerFest team is hard at work planning the Virtual ThrillerFest XVI conference. Registration will open in February and the event will run from June 28th to July 9th, 2021.
Due to continuing pandemic concerns, the conference will be held online. The health and safety of our attendees is our top priority.
We had such a successful event last July that we decided to plan another virtual conference, allowing our attendees to remain safe in the comfort of their homes yet still participate in the learning and camaraderie that is the hallmark of the annual conference of the International Thriller Writers.
There will be no travel, no hotel stay, but we will recruit an extensive group of bestselling ITW authors who can help you polish your thrillers and top drawer New York agents and editors to whom you can pitch—and we’ll offer attractive prices!
Stay tuned for more information along with a list of our outstanding array of guests and publishing professionals. Our X-treme CraftFest (including CareerFest), Master Class, Pitching Sessions, and Consulting Sessions will all be offered this June 28th – July 9th, 2021.
This year’s event also includes:
- Free Debut Authors’ Presentation
- Free ITW Author Videos
- Free Thriller Awards Presentation
- Free Best First Sentence Contest.
The Big Thrill Book Giveaway
Congratulations to Dan L. and Linda G., winners of the January The Big Thrill Book Giveaway!
They each received 10 signed thrillers from ITW members.
On February 19 we’ll draw two new winners, and one of them could be you!
Current and new subscribers welcome.