Read the stories that were in the January edition of The Big Thrill.
We kick off the New Year with a 2019 thriller forecast in this month’s trend story by Dawn Ius. Allison Brennan gets the scoop on an exciting new novel of espionage from our cover girl, Taylor Stevens. Leye Adenle shares how he delves into Nigerian political corruption in Africa Scene. Plus we hear from J. H. Bográn, Samuel W. Gailey, Peter James, John Lescroart, and 25 more authors about their hot new releases.
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines: Taylor Stevens by Allison Brennan
- Trend Report: 2019 Thriller Forecast by Dawn Ius
- On the Cover: Peter James by E. M. Powell
- On the Cover: J. H. Bográn by Austin Camacho
- On the Cover: Mark Alpert by Steve P. Vincent
- BookTrib Spotlight: Jessica Barry by Neil Nyren
- Up Close: James Rollins by Josie Brown
- Up Close: John Lescroart by J. H. Bográn
- Up Close: Samuel W. Gailey by R. G. Belsky
- Up Close: Andrew Grant by Guy Bergston
- Up Close: Lincoln Child & Douglas Preston by R. G. Belsky
- International Thrills: Louise Jensen by Dawn Ius
- Africa Scene: Leye Adenle by Michael Sears
- All the Way Down by Eric Beetner
- Death Toll 3: End Game by Alex Shaw (Editor)
- The Night Agent by Matthew Quirk
- Alive in the Rose City by R. Barri Flowers
- The Dirty Network by A. M. Halvorssen
- Flamingo Coast by Martin Jay Weiss
- A Killer’s Alibi by William L. Myers, Jr.
- The Sidewinder by Simon Maltman
- Cyber Attack by Tim Washburn
- Midnight Blues by Robert D. Kidera
- The Widows by Jess Montgomery
- Ask No Mercy by Martin Österdahl
- A Thousand Doors by J. T. Ellison
- The Book Artist by Mark Pryor
- Love on the Rocks by Debbie De Louise
- Code Name: Lise: The True Story of the Woman Who Became WWII’s Most Highly Decorated Spy by Larry Loftis
- The Alchemist’s Illusion by Gigi Pandian
- #Chill: Turn Off Your Job and Turn On Your Life by Bryan E. Robinson, Ph.D.
- The Amazing Imagination Machine by Bailey Day
- Hy Brasil, Island of Eternity by Robert E. Kearns
- Dark Streets Cold Suburbs by Aimee Hix
- The Second Law by L. A. Starks
- Bar None: A Murder On The Rocks Mystery by Cathi Stoler
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Sophie Hannah, Christopher Rice, Brad Taylor, James Grippando, Elizabeth Goddard, Kat Martin, Charles Todd, Allen Eskens, Gregg Hurwitz, Tosca Lee, Dana King, Eliot Parker, John A. Vanek, Angel Luis Colón, Russell James, David Swinson, Lee Goldberg, Rick Treon, William Lashner, Tim Washburn, S. A. Cosby, Victoria Gilbert and many more!
Online Thriller School!
Plus a Bonus Learn-to-Pitch Session!
Join Steve Berry, Grant Blackwood, F. Paul Wilson, Hank Phillippi Ryan,
David Corbett, Gayle Lynds, James Scott Bell and Kathleen Antrim.
In this eight-week program, which begins March 25, 2019 the craft of thriller writing will be front and center. Each instructor will teach an aspect of craft though a podcast, written materials that include further reading and study suggestions, and an entire week of on-line Q&A with the registered students. The goal is simple: To make each student a better writer.
Attendance is limited, and we sold out last year, so register today!
Online Career School Starts Next Week!
Have you signed a book deal and are now anxiously awaiting publication? Do book tours and social media expectations overwhelm you? Are you a frustrated author looking for discovery? Do you feel like you need better tools to help you with the “business of writing”?
If you can answer yes to any of these questions, then this eight-week online course is perfect for you! Let the experts teach you step-by-step how to succeed in publishing!
ThrillerFest XIV: Registration is Open!
Your ThrillerFest team proudly announces that the 2019 conference, held at the Grand Hyatt, New York City from July 9-13, is open for Early Bird Registration now. Don’t wait! Take advantage of the lowest prices available for the conference. Lock in your price for this great event now.
ThrillerFest XIV will include:
- 2019 ThrillerMaster John Sandford
- 2019 Silver Bullet Award recipient Harlan Coben
- 2018 Silver Bullet Award recipient James Rollins
- 2019 Thriller Legend Margaret Marbury
- 2019 Spotlight Guest Lisa Unger
- 2019 Spotlight Guest Stephen Hunter
ConsultFest: New! One-on-one fifteen minute session with a top acquiring editor or agent to get instant feedback on your query letter or first two pages of your manuscript. The writer will be assigned a time during CraftFest or ThrillerFest. Up to two consultations may be purchased when registering for any package.
ATF Pre-Conference Workshop: Presented by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). Add authenticity to your thrillers! The pre-conference ATF Workshop is a limited attendance event on the day before the main elements of the ThrillerFest conference. Space is limited and has previously sold out quickly. The workshop will be held at the Grand Hyatt.
Master Class: This one-day intensive writing program allows your instructor to focus on your craft and your story. Everyone is welcome, from beginning writers to well-established authors. Teachers for Master Class 2019 include top-selling members of ITW who will work with you in a small class setting. Instructors this year will be Grant Blackwood, David Corbett, Karen Dionne, Robert Dugoni, Steven James, D. P. Lyle, Gayle Lynds, Donald Maass, and F. Paul Wilson. Space is limited, so sign up soon.
CraftFest: Learn the craft of thriller writing from the best in the genre! Hone your thriller writing skills on many topics to provide you with the tools needed to take your writing to the next level. Special feature: CareerFest! Now that you’ve written that sparkling manuscript, where do you go from there? You don’t want to miss it!
PitchFest: Face-to-face pitching with fifty-plus top agents and acquiring editors who are actively looking for new thriller writer clients. Don’t miss this exceptional opportunity. Purchase an admittance package that includes PitchFest.
ThrillerFest: Spotlight guests, extraordinary programming, author book signings, and camaraderie. Includes the ThrillerFest Grand Opening Reception on Thursday evening, July 11th.
Thriller Awards Banquet: John Sandford will receive his 2019 ThrillerMaster Lifetime Achievement award. 2018 Silver Bullet Award James Rollins will present the 2019 Silver Bullet Award to Harlan Coben. Margaret Marbury will receive the 2019 Thriller Legend Award. All Thriller Award Winners will be announced. Fun, entertainment, and before and after cocktail parties!
Conference elements are priced flexibly to allow you more choices to fit your pocketbook and tailor your experience as you wish. When combining several events, you’ll receive a discount off individual item prices. Early Bird prices are the lowest available, so don’t wait!
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for this month. You won’t want to miss it!
January 7 – 13: “Your New Year’s resolutions for 2019, writing and/or personal.”
January 14 – 20: “What is the primary job of a thriller? Entertainment, escapism, to provoke thought?”
January 21 – 27: “Which books would you recommend to new writers?”
January 28 – February 3: “Tell us about your favorite sub-genre of thrillers and why.”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J. H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!
The NEW Big Thrill Book Giveaway
Congratulations to Linda B. and Reed F. for winning December’s New The Big Thrill Book Giveaway! Linda and Reed will each receive 10 signed thrillers from ITW members!
You could be January’s winner. On January 11 we will choose 2 more lucky winners to receive 10 signed books each.
But you have to enter to have a chance to win.
Current and new subscribers welcome.
The Second Son by Martin Jay Weiss
Rip the Angels From Heaven by David Krugler
Art of the Gods: A Father Sheehan Thriller by Gary Gabelhouse
Her Rocky Mountain Defender by Jennifer D. Bokal
Southernmost Murder by C. S. Poe
CLICK HERE to enter our next Big Thrill Giveaway.
You could be this month’s winner!
Interested in becoming a member of the International Thriller Writers? ITW offers Active and Associate memberships.
Latest posts by ITW (see all)
- November 11 – 17: “What are the advantages of using new media to bridge readers with authors?” - November 10, 2019
- November 4 – 10: “Imagine you’re giving a two-minute ‘state of industry’ speech to ITW members. What would you say?” - November 3, 2019
- The November 2019 Edition of The Big Thrill is Here! - October 31, 2019