Read the stories that were in the July edition of the Big Thrill.
This month The Big Thrill offers 50-plus new titles for your summer reading pleasure—from mysteries and YA to thrillers of every stripe.
Our cover story featuring bestselling author Gayle Lynds delves into her latest book and much more about her fascinating career. In our International Thrills column, Irish bestseller John Connolly unveils his newest Charlie Parker adventure. And on the Africa Scene, an interview with one of the leaders of South African crime fiction, Mike Nicol.
In our Big Break segment, perennial hit-meister Joseph Finder talks about his early days and his path to the bestseller list. And in a Special to The Big Thrill, Edgar-nominated author Manda Scott explores the intricacies of the increasingly popular “dual time line” suspense novel.
We also have the latest works by Julia Dahl, Kay Kendall, Jenny Milchman, Lori Rader-Day, and Cathy Scott, in addition to exciting debut novels from Eileen Magill, Ronnie Allen, Erik Therme, Alex Gilly, and M. J. Arlidge, among many others. Explore and enjoy!
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines Interview with New York Times bestselling author Gayle Lynds by Anthony Franze
- Special to The Big Thrill: The Big Break with Joseph Finder by Jeremy Burns
- Special to The Big Thrill: Dual Time Line Thrillers by Manda Scott
- International Thrills: A Conversation with John Connolly by J. F. Penn
- Africa Scene: Mike Nicol Speaks by Michael Sears
- Cash Landing by James Grippando
- The Devil’s Share by Wallace Stroby
- As Night Falls by Jenny Milchman
- Devil’s Harbor by Alex Gilly
- Under Fire by Grant Blackwood
- Cold East by Alex Shaw
- Swerve by Vicki Pettersson
- Bum Rap by Paul Levine
- State of Emergency by Steve P. Vincent
- Cold Moon by Alexandra Sokoloff
- House of Homicide by Eileen Magill
- Elisha Rex by E. C. Ambrose
- Little Pretty Things by Lori Rader-Day
- Rainy Day Women by Kay Kendall
- Mortom by Erik Therme
- Q Island by Russell James
- Inhuman Interest by Eric Turowski
- What Doesn’t Kill Her by Carla Norton
- Gemini: The Sign Behind The Crime by Ronnie Allen
- Gray Vengeance by Alan McDermott
- Ashstorm by A. D. Starrling
- Atonement by Winter Austin
- A Question of Honor by Mona Karel
- Into The Fire by Manda Scott
- The Anonymous Source by A. C. Fuller
- The Lost Concerto by Helaine Mario
- Acoustic Shadows by Patrick Kendrick
- Family Matters by K. J. Janssen
- Run You Down by Julia Dahl
- Let Me Die in His Footsteps by Lori Roy
- A Dark Lure by Loreth Anne White
- Twisted by Cynthia Eden
- Fallen: A Cassidy & Spenser Thriller by Carey Baldwin
- eXXXit by Svea Tornow
- Remember Mia by Alexandra Burt
- The Six by Mark Alpert
- Roses are Red…Violet is Dead by Monica-Marie Vincent
- Awake by Melanie Surani
- Web of Deceit by Susan Sleeman
- Final Solstice by David Sakmyster
- If Anything Should Happen by Bonnie Hearn Hill
- Corrupted Memory by Ray Daniel
- A Brilliant Deception by Kim Foster
- Rampage by Alan Brenham
- Eeny Meeny by M. J. Arlidge
- The Boys of the Dixie Pig by Stacy Childs
- Murder of a Mafia Daughter: The Story Behind The Suspicions Robert Durst Murdered Susan Berman by Cathy Scott
- Worked to Death by Kerri Nelson
- A Study in Death by Anna Lee Huber
- I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Linda Fairstein, Brenda Novak, James Abel, Alex Kava, Allison Brennan, Shelley Coriell, Paige Tyler, Kathy Reichs, A. D. Garrett, Gloria Ferris, Tom Young, Joel Gomez-Dossi, David Freed, Rich Zahradnik and many more!
New E-Releases from ITW Members
- Heaven Sent by Ann Simas
- Vegas, Lies, and Murder by Sibel Hodge
- Ryder: Bird of Prey by Nick Pengelley
- Get Plucked: 13 Twisted Tales by Thomas Pluck
- The Tithing Herd by J. R. Lindermuth
- Falling Fast by Tina Wainscott
- Rosolio Red by Traci Andrighetti
- Hunger by Jeremiah Knight
- Tor Maddox: Embedded by Liz Coley
- Unfinished Business by Jenna Bennett
- A Geek Girl’s Guide to Murder by Julie Anne Lindsey
New Audio Books from ITW Members
- One Day in New York (An ARKANE Thriller) by J.F. Penn
- Gates of Hell (An ARKANE Thriller) by J.F. Penn
- Masters of True Crime: Chilling Stories of Murder and the Macabre by R. Barri Flowers
- Cash Crash Jubilee by Eli K.P. William
- Broken Bonds by Karen Harper
- “A” Things: A-Z Things, Book 1 by R. Barri Flowers
ThrillerFest X – One Week Left to Register!
ThrillerFest X – July 7th – 11th, Grand Hyatt, NYC.
Check out the Thrillerfest website, registration now available!
This year, we’ll be honoring:
- 2015 ThrillerMaster Nelson DeMille
- 2014 ThrillerMaster Scott Turow
- 2015 Silver Bullet Recipient Kathy Reichs
- 2014 Silver Bullet Recipient Brenda Novak
- 2015 Spotlight guest Mark Billingham
- 2015 Spotlight guest Charlaine Harris
- 2015 Spotlight guest Greg Iles
Some of the highlights of this year’s event include:
- Master CraftFest
- Thriller Awards Banquet
Want to learn more about ThrillerFest? Read a recap of the last ThrillerFest, ThrillerFest IX: Celebrating Ten Years of Innovation by Kimberley Howe and Anthony J. Franze.
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
In July the Thriller Roundtable will focus on Literary Agents. You won’t want to miss it!
June 29 – July 5: NO ROUNDTABLE
July 6 – 12: “What is the most common mistake writers make in approaching an agent?”
July 13 – 19: “What is the added-value of agents in the self-publishing model?”
July 20 – 26: “Do agents have regrets about the story that got away?”
July 27 – August 2: “When should a writer change agents? Are agents wary of writers with low sales seeking such a change?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J.H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!
Congratulations to Diane Grant, the winner of this month’s BIG THRILL giveaway. Diane will receive an assortment of signed thrillers including Mortom by Erik Therme, The Fraternity of the Soul Eater by Scott A. Lerner, As Night Falls by Jenny Milchman, Ashstorm by A. D. Starrling, The Gates of Evangeline by Hester Young, Circling the Runway by J. L. Abramo, Counting to Infinity by J. L. Abramo, Clutching at Straws by J. L. Abramo, Devil’s Harbor by Alex Gilly and Into the Fire by Manda Scott.
All subscribers to THE BIG THRILL webzine are automatically eligible for the monthly drawing. CLICK HERE to subscribe to the BIG THRILL email.
Interested in becoming a member of the International Thriller Writers? ITW offers Active and Associate memberships.
Latest posts by ITW (see all)
- October 16 – 22: “Is it a good idea to set thrillers in the Fall?” - October 15, 2017
- October 9 – 15: “What’s the one fiction writing guidebook that every writer should have?” - October 8, 2017
- October 2 – 8: “Are some careers more suitable for characters in thrillers than others?” - October 1, 2017