The June 2018 Edition of The Big Thrill
Read the stories that were in the June edition of The Big Thrill.
In this issue, Ruth Ware tells how she weaves her web of suspense fiction, along with interviews with James Ziskin, Michael Koryta, Robert Dugoni, E. M. Powell, Matthew Betley, and Cynthia Swanson. Dawn Ius talks to 15 nominees for Thriller Awards, Neil Nyren explores the work of Owen Laukkanen, and in “Author Guided Tour,” Jeff Soloway does on-the-ground research for his book by going to a political rally.
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines: Ruth Ware by Nancy Bilyeau
- Between the Lines: James Ziskin by R. G. Belsky
- Between the Lines: Michael Koryta by R. G. Belsky
- Spotlight With Neil Nyren: Owen Laukkanen
- Author Guided Tour: Jeff Soloway Goes to a Political Rally
- Thriller Award: Best First Novel by Dawn Ius
- Thriller Award: Best Paperback Original Novel by Dawn Ius
- Thriller Award: Best E-Book Original by Dawn Ius
- Africa Scene: Rupert Smith by Michael Sears
- Up Close: Robert Dugoni by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: E.M. Powell by Wendy Tyson
- Up Close: Matthew Betley by J.H. Bográn
- Up Close: Cynthia Swanson by April Snellings
- Jane’s Baby by Chris Bauer
- How Far She’s Come by Holly Brown
- Bum Deal by Paul Levine
- A Blood Thing by James Hankins
- The Fairfax Incident by Terrence McCauley
- Murder at the Grand Raj Palace by Vaseem Khan
- The Forgotten Ones by Steena Holmes
- A Reason to Live by R. Barri Flowers
- I Am Justice by Diana Muñoz Stewart
- Shark Bait by Paul Kemprecos
- SEAL Team Six: Hunt the Viper by Ralph Pezzullo and Don Mann
- As the Christmas Cookie Crumbles by Leslie Budewitz
- Freefall by Adam Hamdy
- My Cousin Vinny by Lawrence Kelter
- Ana Rocha: Shadows of Justice by Ammar Habib & Glenda Mendoza
- The Surviving Girls by Katee Robert
- Defending Justice, Justice Team Series by Misty Evans & Adrienne Giordano
- The Big Bluff by Jack Halliday
- Eyes of Poseidon by Richard Wickliffe
- The Long Silence by Gerard O’Donovan
- A Sharp Solitude by Cristine Carbo
- Picked Off by Linda Lovely
- Blood Orbit by K. R. Richardson
- A Case Gone Cold by Paul Gitsham
- Wet Work: A Dick Thornby Thriller by Donald J. Bingle
- The Real Michael Swann by Bryan Reardon
- Reason to Die by Debbie De Louise
- Sentimental Journey by Paul Sinor
- The Consultant by T.J. O’Connor
- The Chateau by Tiffany Reisz
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Susan Spann, Riley Sager, Amy Stuart, Alan Jacobson, Sandra Block, William Martin, Dianne Freeman, Ellison Cooper, Paul D. Brazil, Andrew Shaffer, Kim Alexander, William Boyle, Sarah Simpson, Dan Fesperman, Autumn Jordon (as Dianne Gerber), Jay Brandon, Demetra Brodsky, Jerry Kennealy, David Housewright, Charlie Donlea, Michael Ruptured, R. Barri Flowers and many more!
ThrillerFest XIII: There’s Still Time to Register!
Your ThrillerFest team proudly announces that the 2018 conference, held at the Grand Hyatt, New York City from July 10-14, will include:
• 2018 ThrillerMaster George R.R. Martin
• 2018 Silver Bullet Award James Rollins
• 2017 ThrillerMaster Lee Child
• 2017 Silver Bullet Award Lisa Gardner
• 2018 Spotlight Guest Megan Abbott
ATF Pre-Conference Workshop: Presented by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). Add authenticity to your thrillers! The pre-conference ATF Workshop is a limited attendance event on the day before the main elements of the ThrillerFest conference. The cost is $150 which includes morning coffee service. Lunch is on your own during a 1.5 hour break. Space is limited and has previously sold out quickly. The workshop will be held at the Grand Hyatt.
Master CraftFest: This one-day intensive writing program allows your instructor to focus on your craft and your story. Everyone is welcome, from beginning writers to well-established authors. Teachers for Master CraftFest 2018 include top-selling members of ITW who will work with you in a small class setting. Instructors this year will be Steve Berry, Gayle Lynds, Grant Blackwood, F. Paul Wilson, Don Maass, Steven James, DP Lyle, and others. Space is limited, so sign up soon.
CraftFest: Learn the craft of thriller writing from the best in the genre! Hone your thriller writing skills on many topics to provide you with the tools needed to take your writing to the next level. Special feature: CareerFest! Now that you’ve written that sparkling manuscript, where do you go from there? You don’t want to miss it!
PitchFest: You asked for a time dedicated to pitching your projects to agents, editors, publishers, and producers – we listened! Face-to-face pitching with top agents who are actively looking for new thriller writer clients. Don’t miss this exceptional opportunity. Purchase an admittance package that includes PitchFest.
ThrillerFest: Spotlight guests, extraordinary programming, author book signings, and camaraderie. Includes the ThrillerFest Grand Opening Reception on Thursday evening.
Thriller Award Banquet: 2018 ThrillerMaster George R.R. Martin will receive his ThrillerMaster Lifetime Achievement award, introduced by 2017 ThrillerMaster Lee Child. 2017 Silver Bullet Award Lisa Gardner will present the 2018 Silver Bullet Award to James Rollins. All Thriller Award Winners will be announced. Fun, entertainment, and before and after cocktail parties!
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for this month. You won’t want to miss it!
June 4 – 10: “How do you plan your summer writing schedule? Does it change through the seasons?”
June 11 – 17: “Stephen King said a novel’s draft should be done in three months, how long does it take you to finish the first draft?”
June 18 – 24: “What’s the advantage of having a blurb from another author and how do you choose who to ask?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J.H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!
- The Woodstock Murders by James D. Robertson - January 31, 2020
- Introducing ITW’s Inaugural Online Career School - November 30, 2018
- The June 2018 Edition of The Big Thrill - May 31, 2018