Read the stories that were in the November edition of the Big Thrill.
With the November issue, we are excited to present a new look for The Big Thrill, and who better as our cover subject than David Morrell, the co-founder of International Thriller Writers, Inc., and author of Ruler of the Night. Other enthralling interviews include talks with Lee Child, Linda Fairstein, Peter James, Kathy Reichs, Hank Phillippi Ryan, Marcia Clark, and Alexandra Sokoloff.
In “Trend Alert,” Dawn Ius charts the rise of Sunshine Noir. In “Author Guided Tour,” Dominic Selwood takes us to Cypress. In “Off the Page,” Linwood Barclay reveals his inspirations for a character. And in “Debut Spotlight,” M.A. Richards chats with E.A. Aymar.
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines: David Morrell by Alison McMahon
- Turning Point: Linda Fairstein Writes Middle Grade by Dawn Ius
- Debut Spotlight: M.A. Richards by E.A. Aymar
- Trend Alert: Sunshine Noir Heats Up by Dawn Ius
- Author Guided Tour: Dominic Selwood Discovers Northern Cyprus
- Off the Page: Linwood Barclay on Creating Detective Duckworth
- Lee Child, by J.H. Bográn
- Kathy Reichs, by R.G. Belsky
- Peter James, by Nancy Bilyeau
- Hank Philippi Ryan, by Dawn Ius
- Marcia Clark, by Dawn Ius
- Mindy McGinnis, by Nancy Bilyeau
- Craig Robertson, by Dawn Ius
- Alexandra Sokoloff, by Nancy Bilyeau
- Pushing Perfect by Michelle Falkoff
- Goliath by Shawn Corridan & Gary Waid
- Shipwreck by William Nikkel
- A Question of Faith by Mona Karel
- Fatal Courage by Misty Evans
- We Wish You a Murderous Christmas by Vicki Delany
- Sierra by Ray Anderson
- A Chaser on the Rocks by Simon Maltman
- The Thrill List: An Anthology of Crime Thriller Quick Reads by Catherine Lea
- Stormwolf by Stephen Morris
- The Longest Con by Michaelbrent Collings
- The Highest Stakes by Rick Reed
- Ryan Quinn and the Rebel’s Escape by Ron McGee
- Mojo for Murder: A Bertie Bigelow Mystery by Carolyn Marie Wilkins
- The Dead of Winter by Jean Rabe
- Order to Kill by Kyle Mills
- Yanapop by John T. Cullen as John Argo
- The Next One Will Kill You by Neil S. Plakcy
- Eggnog Murder by Barbara Ross, Lee Hollis and Leslie Meier
- Cat in an Alphabet Endgame by Carole Nelson Douglas
- More Than a Lawman by Anna J. Stewart
- In From the Cold by J.T. Rogers
- The Tunguska Encounter by David M. Mannes
- Kiss of the Sun by R. K. Jackson
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from James Rollins, Karen Harper, Larissa Reinhart, Carter Wilson, Simon Wood, Phyllis Smallman, Joan Hall Hovey, Ray Dyson, Susan McBride, Amanda Lee, Rick Chesler & Jack Douglas, Ashley Elston, Tim Washburn, M. A. Richards, Keith Dixon, Diane Kelly, Debra Webb and many more!
ThrillerFest XII: Early Bird Registration is Open!
Your ThrillerFest team is already hard at work planning for next July’s conference where we’ll feature 2017 ThrillerMaster Lee Child, 2016 ThrillerMaster Heather Graham, 2017 Silver Bullet Award recipient Lisa Gardner, 2016 Silver Bullet Award recipient John Lescroart and MATCH UP (ITW Anthology) authors: Lara Adrian, Steve Berry, C.J. Box, Sandra Brown, Lee Child, Nelson DeMille, Diana Gabaldon, Andrew Gross, Charlaine Harris, Lisa Jackson, Peter James, J.A. Jance, Michael Koryta, Gayle Lynds, Val McDermid, David Morrell, Kathy Reichs, John Sandford, Lisa Scottoline, Karin Slaughter, and Eric Van Lustbader.
Like a compelling page-turner, we need to keep you in suspense, so stay tuned for more details!
Master CraftFest: An extraordinary opportunity for writers and authors to meet and learn from the best in the industry in a full day of teaching and review of sample writing on Tuesday.
CraftFest: A host of industry experts or phenomenal teachers helping writers and authors improve their craft or assist in advancing their careers in classroom-type settings of hour-long sessions throughout the day Wednesday and Thursday morning.
PitchFest: An incredible opportunity for writers to pitch their manuscripts to as many of the best agents, publishers, and editors in the industry as they want on Thursday afternoon. (Note: Registration for PitchFest is an additional cost to either CraftFest or ThrillerFest and cannot be purchased as a stand-alone event for writers.)
ThrillerFest: A wonderful opportunity to meet the most successful and bestselling thriller authors in the world, starting with the Opening Night Cocktail Party on Thursday evening, and continuing with panels, interviews, and autograph sessions on Friday and Saturday.
The Thriller Awards Banquet, which is an added feature on the registration options, provides attendees a chance to see authors recognized by their peers for their work on Saturday night, the closing event. This is an amazing experience for both the readers and authors and should not be missed.
ITW’s Fourth Annual Online ThrillerSchool!
Starts March 13th, 2017!
Seven Weeks! Seven Bestselling Authors!
Join Lee Child, Meg Gardiner, David Corbett, James Scott Bell, Peter James, Hank Phillippi Ryan and F. Paul Wilson.
In this seven-week program, which begins March 13th, 2017, the craft of thriller writing will be front and center. Each instructor will teach an aspect of craft though a podcast, written materials that include further reading and study suggestions, and an entire week of online Q&A with the registered students. The goal is simple: To make each student a better writer.
Like the past two years, the online school will fill up very quickly, so register soon. Visit ITW’s Online Thriller School for more information.
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for November. It’s going to be a thriller!
October 31 – November 6: “Is tone linked more to the author’s or the character’s attitude?”
November 7 – 13: “Describe some favorite symbolism detected in recent thrillers?”
November 14 – 20: “The holidays are here. Will you slow down or speed up writing?”
November 21 – 27: NO ROUNDTABLE – THANKSGIVING
November 28 – December 4: “Stop taking care of the house or the yard, drop friends, abandon families? Discuss how writers can make more time for writing.”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J.H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!
Congratulations to Maggie Merchant, the winner of this month’s BIG THRILL giveaway. Maggie will receive an assortment of signed thrillers including The Vanishing Year by Kate Moretti, Independence Day by Bob Mayer, Paraiso by Gordon Chaplin, Overdrive by Dawn Ius, Outside the Lines by Sheila Lowe, Drive Time by Hank Phillippi Ryan, The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis, and Woman Without Fear by J.P. Touzeau.
All subscribers to The Big Thrill magazine are automatically eligible for the monthly drawing. CLICK HERE to subscribe to The Big Thrill.
- The Big Thrill Recommends: DEATH AND THE SISTERS by Heather Redmond - September 21, 2023
- The Big Thrill Recommends: THE GIRL IN THE EAGLE’S TALONS by Karin Smirnoff - September 21, 2023
- All that Glisters with Topper Jones - September 21, 2023