First up, a Between the Lines interview with the remarkable Jeffery Deaver. The #1 bestselling author talks about his long career, his innovative projects, and, of course, his amazing new thriller, Solitude Creek.
But what also makes this month special is that we’re celebrating the new releases of some of our own: the Contributing Editors. You may not know that most of the articles in The Big Thrill are written by writers who donate their time to support their ITW peers. This month several members of our team have new releases—so we hope you’ll return the support and buy their books:
There’s Nancy Bilyeau, who delivers another winner with The Tapestry, the third in her award-winning Joanna Stafford series set during the Tudor era.
John Clement is back with his cozy-fan-favorite Dixie Hemingway mystery series with The Cat Sitter’s Whiskers.
Let’s not forgot about hot debut author John A. Connell and Ruins of War, a thrilling tale set in Post WWII Germany where a predator is prowling the lawless streets of Munich.
Our International Thrills correspondent Layton Green, on the heels of his nomination for a 2015 Thriller Award, brings readers another explosive Dominic Grey story in The Shadow Cartel.
And third time is the charm for Wendy Tyson who returns with Dying Brand, book three in her haunting Allison Campbell mystery series.
Last but not least, James W. Ziskin delights fans with the return of 1960s heroine Ellie Stone in Stone Cold Dead.
Finally, don’t forget to check out the Specials, the Africa Scene, this month’s International Thrills, and many more hot new releases from ITW members.
—The managing editors, Anthony Franze, Barry Lancet, and Dawn Ius
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines with New York Times Bestselling Author Jeffery Deaver
- Special to the Big Thrill: Digging Deep for a Story by Gary Grossman
- Special to the Big Thrill: Next Steps: ITW’s New Radio Show by John A. Connell
- International Thrills: An interview with bestselling UK thriller author Tom Harper by J. F. Penn
- Africa Scene: An interview with Penny Lorimer by Michael Sears
- Ruins of War by John A. Connell
- The Invention of Fire by Bruce Holsinger
- The Tapestry by Nancy Bilyeau
- Stone Cold Dead by James W. Ziskin
- See Also Murder by Larry D. Sweazy
- The Shadow Cartel by Layton Green
- The Russian Bride by Ed Kovacs
- The Cat Sitter’s Whiskers by John Clement
- Roses Are Dead My Love by Penny Clover Petersen
- Dying Brand by Wendy Tyson
- Hunt the Fox by Don Mann and Ralph Pezzullo
- Cash Crash Jubilee by Eli K.P. William
- Her Wild Hero (X-OPS 3) by Paige Tyler
- Against the Tide by Kat Martin
- Manhunt by Tyler Anne Snell
- Skies of Ash by Rachel Howzell Hall
- Double Vision by Colby Marshall
- Assume Nothing, Believe Nobody, Challenge Everything by Mike Craven
- Ugly Young Thing by Jennifer Jaynes
- The Killing Season by Mason Cross
- Fatal Trauma by Richard L. Mabry, MD
- The Organ Broker by Stu Strumwasser
- The Secrets We Keep by Trisha Leaver
- Pirate’s Alley by Suzanne Johnson
- Don’t Go Home by Carolyn Hart
- Red Gold by Robert D. Kidera
- Basic Law: A Mystery of Cold War Europe by J. Sydney Jones
- The Raven’s Head by Karen Maitland
- Lowcountry Boneyard by Susan M. Boyer
- Circling the Runway by J. L. Abramo
- The Venusian Gambit by Michael J. Martinez
- Lucky Chance by Linell Jeppsen
- Broken by Cynthia Eden
- No Place To Hide by Lynette Eason
- The Altar Girl by Orest Stelmach
- Eraserbyte by Cat Connor
- You Will Never Find Me by Robert Wilson
- Manhattan in Miniature by Margaret Grace
- Black Wood by SJI Holliday
- Mayhem in Margaux by Jean-Pierre Alaux, Noël Balen and Sally Pane (translator)
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Joseph Finder, J. T. Ellison, Lisa von Biela, Allison Leotta, Vaughn C. Hardacker, Robert Rotstein, John Palisano, Eric Red, Jeffrey Westhoff, Alex Dolan, Mark Pryor, Melissa F. Miller, Matt Cyle, Thomas Waite, Elizabeth Goddard, Kate White, Scott A. Lerner, Beth Cato, John Farrow, N. J. Paige, Christine Carbo, Steve Vincent, Gary Phillps, Paul Gitsham, Patrick Freivald, Kate White, Andy Boot, Stephen M. DeBock, J. P. Touzeau, Keith Rommel, Jane Isaac, Adam Mitzne, Darynda Jones, Bob Doerr, Colin Edmonds and many more!
New E-Releases from ITW Members
- Mean Streets Bundle by authors Ed Gorman, Bill Pronzini, Sean Black, Clive Barker and David Morrell, just to name a few
- Lessons for Suspicious Minds by Charlie Cochrane
- Burial Plot (A Jonelle Sweet Mystery Book 1) by R. Lanier Clemons
- Death Order by Jan Needle
- Dangerous Obsessions by Bob Van Laerhoven
- A Kangaroo’s Pouch (A Children’s Picture Book) by R. Barri Flowers
- ABC’S of Earth’s Creatures (A Children’s Picture Book) by R. Barri Flowers
- Heater by Katherine G. Thomas
- Guarding Shakespeare by Quintin Peterson
- The Gumshoe, and Other Brit Grit Yarns by Paul D. Brazill
- The Secret Sharers by Keith Dixon
- Standpoint by Derek Thompson
- Our Lady of Vengeance: 13 Dishes Served Cold by Thomas Pluck
- Cold Fear by Toni Anderson
- Beyond A Reasonable Doubt by Linda S. Prather
- Midnight Secrets by Lisa Marie Rice
- All This Time by Tiffani Burnett-Velez
- Devil’s Dance by Steve Myers
- Holy Smoke (An Andi Comstock Supernatural Mystery, Book 1) by Ann Simas
- Judge, Jury, Desert Fury by L. J. Martin
- Harmonized by Mary Behre
- The Perseid Collapse Series: BLACKLINE (Kindle Worlds Novella) by Alex Shaw
- Abducted by Brian Pinkerton
- Summerchill by Quentin Bates
- Murder and Mai Tais (A Danger Cove Cocktail Mystery) by Sibel Hodge
- Rx Murder by Richard L. Mabry, MD
- Go Down Hard by Craig Faustus Buck
- Radio Moscow, and Other Stories by David Malcolm and Paul D. Brazill
- Causing Chaos by Deborah J Ledford
- The Housewife Assassin’s Garden of Deadly Delights by Josie Brown
- The Thousand Dollar Man by J.T. Brannan
New Audio Books from ITW Members
- Kaanapali Beach Paradise: A Maui Novelette by R. Barri Flowers
- Twisted by Cynthia Eden
- The Truth Will Out by Jane Isaac
- Cold Pursuit by Toni Anderson
- Personal Target by Kay Thomas
- Hard Target by Kay Thomas
ThrillerFest X – Register Today!
ThrillerFest X – July 7th – 11th, Grand Hyatt, NYC.
Check out the Thrillerfest website, registration now available!
In 2015 we’ll be honoring:
- 2015 ThrillerMaster Nelson DeMille
- 2014 ThrillerMaster Scott Turow
- 2015 Silver Bullet Recipient Kathy Reichs
- 2014 Silver Bullet Recipient Brenda Novak
- 2015 Spotlight guest Mark Billingham
- 2015 Spotlight guest Charlaine Harris
- 2015 Spotlight guest Greg Iles
Some of the highlights of this year’s event include:
- Master CraftFest
- Thriller Awards Banquet
Want to learn more about ThrillerFest? Read a recap of the last ThrillerFest, ThrillerFest IX: Celebrating Ten Years of Innovation by Kimberley Howe and Anthony J. Franze.
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at TheBigThrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
Here’s what’s in store for May!
May 4 – 10: “What are the considerations when adopting a title for a series?”
May 11 – 17: “What are the best bands for writing thrillers? Or does haunting classical music work best? ”
May 18 – 24: “People imagine the publishing world to be one of camaraderie. But is that naïve? How intense is the plotting and vindictiveness of some houses – no names!”
May 25 – 31: “Have you used the American Psychological Association’s DSM V – or previous versions of the Diagnostic and Statistic Manuel of Mental Disorders – to help develop characters?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J.H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!
Congratulations to Lori Beyer, the winner of this month’s BIG THRILL giveaway. Lori will receive an assortment of signed thrillers including Manhunt by Tyler Anne Snell, The Boy Who Knew Too Much by Jeffrey Westhoff, Caffeine Can Kill by Bob Doerr, Ruins of War by John A. Connell, Broken by Cynthia Eden, No Doves by Andy Boot, You Will Never Find Me by Robert Wilson, Astonishing Heroes: Shades of Justice by Gary Phillips, Never Smile at Strangers by Jennifer Jaynes, Ugly Young Thing by Jennifer Jaynes, A Good Killing by Allison Leotta, and Losing Faith by Adam Mitzner.
All subscribers to THE BIG THRILL webzine are automatically eligible for the monthly drawing. CLICK HERE to subscribe to the BIG THRILL email.
Latest posts by ITW (see all)
- January 27 – February 2: “What can thriller writers learn from the film industry?” - January 26, 2020
- January 20 – 26: “What is your favorite thriller sub-genre?” - January 20, 2020
- January 13 – 19: “What About Language?” - January 12, 2020