The May 2020 Edition of The Big Thrill
With nearly one third of the world’s population forced into isolation, the thirst for “quarantainment” has never been greater. In this issue of The Big Thrill, we showcase some of the best ways you can quench that thirst, whether it’s binge-watching one of Harlan Coben’s Netflix adaptations, dusting off your earbuds to listen to a new release, or devouring one—or all—of the new thrillers and mysteries hitting virtual bookshelves this month. Don’t miss the latest from bestselling authors like Sara Paretsky, Jack Carr, Kate White, Scott Turow, Liv Constantine, and more. Or, if “realism” is more your style, check out some of the upcoming thrillers that may hit a little too close to home. Our May issue has enough page-turning content to keep you safely hunkered down—and it’s live now!
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines: Sara Paretsky by Dawn Ius
- Trend: Are Audiobook Sales on the Rise? by Dawn Ius
- On the Cover: Scott Turow by K. L. Romo
- Up Close: Liv Constantine by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: Paul Levine by Robert Rotstein
- Tales From The Script: Harlan Coben by April Snellings
- BookTrib Spotlight: Debra Bokur by Neil Nyren
- On the Cover: Kate White by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: Jack Carr by Dawn Ius and P. J. Bodnar
- Up Close: Sheena Kamal by K. L. Romo
- Africa Scene: Nechama Brodie by Michael Sears
- Writing About the Pandemic—Too Soon? by Dawn Ius
- On the Cover: Dale Brown by Austin S. Camacho
- Up Close: R. G. Belsky by Rick Pullen
- Career Pursuit: An Interview with Michael A. Stackpole
- AudioFile Spotlight: Let Audiobooks Transport You to Mysterious Places
- In Memory: Karen Harper by Dawn Ius
- On Deadly Grounds by Kaye D. Schmitz
- Man of the World by Paul D. Brazill
- Roar Back by John Farrow
- Days of the Hunters by Arthur Kerns
- The Redwood Con by Reagan Keeter
- The Mendel Paradox by Nick Thacker
- If She Had Stayed by Diane Byington
- All We Buried by Elena Taylor
- Disappearing Act by Ann Simas
- Dark Tomorrow by Reece Hirsch
- Secret Investigation by Elizabeth Heiter
- Pushing Water by Dana King
- Treasure Fever by James B. McPike
- Some Awful Cunning by Joe Ricker
- Before Familiar Woods by Ian Pisarcik
- Stop At Nothing by Michael Ledwidge
- Chasing Shadows by Eric J. Gates
- Hell And High Water by Keenan Powell
- The Lost Boys of London by Mary Lawrence
- The Third Factor by S. P. Brown
- Boundless Ambition by Tim Tigner
- Expect Betrayal by JoAnn Smith Ainsworth
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Iris Johanson, Katie Tallo, Jon Land, Hannah Mary McKinnon, Jessica Barry, Heather Young, D. P. Lyle, Joe Clifford, Casey Sherman and Dave Wedge, Dave Wickenden, Kit Frick, Elizabeth Goddard, Mike Nappa and Melissa Kosci, H. W. “Buzz” Bernard, Haris Orkin, Martin Roy Hill, D. E. White, Judith Gonda, Tom Young, Tom Pitts, Belle Ami, Eric Van Lustbader, Paul D. Marks, Colin Campbell, Cynthia Kuhn, Lauren A. Forry, Michael Bradley and many more!
ThrillerFest XV: Cancelled
The ThrillerFest XV – 2020 International Thriller Writers
annual conference will NOT BE HELD at the
Grand Hyatt, New York City from July 7-11, 2020
due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The health and safety of our attendees is our absolute priority, and because of the current health risks in New York City, we’re deeply saddened to announce that ITW is cancelling ThrillerFest 2020. We will be providing full refunds to everyone, and you will receive those funds in approximately two weeks, as soon as Cvent (our registration provider) can process our request. We look forward to seeing everyone next year, when ThrillerFest will return in July 2021. Remember, if you have booked rooms for the conference at the Hyatt or any other hotel, be sure to cancel your reservations.
To help you avoid ThrillerFest withdrawal, we will be offering, in July, a virtual conference that you can enjoy from the safety of your own home. This event will include PitchFest, ConsultFest, Master Class, the Debut Author Breakfast, the Thriller Awards Presentation, and other special ThrillerFest presentations. Current registrants will have first dibs to register for these events before others are welcomed to join in the fun (if there’s still space). Details and your chance to sign up will follow soon.
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discusses everything from what they love about writing thrillers to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for this month. You won’t want to miss it!
May 4 – 10: “Thrillers usually take the reader to exotic locations. How do you select and research those places?”
May 11 – 17: “Can you identify leading trends—besides good story, thrills, and suspense—among the books coming out this year?”
May 18 – 24: “As an author, how do you tackle obtaining advanced reviews for new releases?”
May 25 – 31: “Do you encourage your family and community to read more? What can we do to gain future readers?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J. H. Bográn.
The NEW Big Thrill Book Giveaway
Congratulations to Michael B. and Sally S. winners of March’s New The Big Thrill Book Giveaway!
They each received 10 signed thrillers from ITW members.
On May 15 we’ll draw 4 lucky subscribers to win 5 thrillers each!
You could be our next winner!
Current and new subscribers welcome.
Gone Dark by Kirk Russell
The Girl on the Bridge by James Hayman
The Device Trial by Tom Breen
Storm Shelter by J. L. Delozier
Falling Darkness by Karen Harper
Masquerade by Gayle Lynds
Bad Analysis by Colin Knight
Let It Snow by Nigel Bird
Seconds To Live by Susan Sleeman
The Sin Eater by Lee McIntyre
Root Cause by Steven Laine
The Russian Heist by Robb White
Cheater’s Game by Paul Levine
The Starr Sting Scale by C. S. Cinneide
Scorched Grounds by Debbie Herbert
A Twinkle in the Eyes of God by David William Pearce
Treasure Fever: The Hunt For El Dorad by James B. McPike
Killing Spree by Kevin O’Brien
The Far Empty by J. Todd Scott
Eagle Warrior by Jenna Kernan
- The March 2023 Edition of The Big Thrill is Here! - February 28, 2023
- On the Cover: Jacqueline Holland - February 28, 2023
- On the Cover: Jonathan Kellerman - February 28, 2023