The May 2017 Edition of The Big Thrill
Read the stories that were in the May edition of the Big Thrill.
In our May issue, Christopher Golden tells how he crafts a frightening story while keeping the characters real. We find out what’s most important to Sara Paretsky and how Jeffery Deaver builds his roller-coaster stories. Other essential lessons are learned in interviews with William Lasher, Brendan Reichs, and Alan Jacobson. We dive into the work of Kati Hiekkapelto of Finland in “International Thrills,” and Mike Nicol talks about the “deep state” in “African Scene.”
In “Author Guided Tour,” J. H. Bográn takes us to New Orleans, and in “Debut Spotlight” LynDee Walker chats with Jill Orr.
Other amazing authors in this issue include Radha Vatsal, Sandra Block, Rick Reed, Candace Robb, Karen Harper, Lisa Preston, David Healey, and many more.
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines: Christopher Golden, by Nancy Bilyeau
- Author Guided Tour: J. H. Bográn in New Orleans
- International Thrills: Kati Hiekkapelto by David Swatling
- Africa Scene: Mike Nicol by Michael Sears
- Debut Author Spotlight: Jill Orr by LynDee Walker
- Up Close: Jeffery Deaver by R. G. Belsky
- Up Close: Alan Jacobson by Austin Camacho
- Up Close: Sara Paretsky by David Swatling
- Up Close: Brendan Reichs by April Snellings
- Up Close: William Lashner by Donna Galanti
- The Secret Room by Sandra Block
- Murder Between the Lines by Radha Vatsal
- Red Moon Rising by J. T. Brannan
- The Measure of the Moon by Lisa Preston
- Falling Darkness by Karen Harper
- Damn Near Broke by Gary Alexander
- Dead of Spring by Sherry Knowlton
- The Forever Spy by Jeffrey Layton
- Resurrection Mall by Dana King
- A Negro and an Ofay by Danny Gardner
- The Darkest Night by Rick Reed
- Invisible Dead by Sam Wiebe
- Flamingo Road by Sasscer Hill
- Greed Can Kill by Bob Doerr
- Hunting Savage by Dave Edlund
- I Wish You Missed Me by Bonnie Hearn Hill
- A Twisted Vengeance by Candace Robb
- South California Purples by Baron R. Birtcher
- Red Sniper by David Healey
- The Body in the Ice by A. J. Mackenzie
- Death Never Lets Go by Maura Azzano
- Justice Delayed by Marti Green
- Fatal Mistake by Susan Sleeman
- Reunited With the P.I. by Anna J. Stewart
- The Devil’s Country by Harry Hunsicker
- The Age of Olympus by Gavin Scott
- Crossed Bones by S. W. Lauden
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Scott Turow, Karen Dionne, Joseph Finder, James W. Ziskin, Gwendolyn Womack, Matthew Sullivan, Melodie Winawer, John Farrow, Debra Webb, Christine Carbo, Elena Hartwell, Ovidia Yu, Kat Martin, Eric Van Lustbader, Khaled Talib, David M. Salkin, L. J. Sellers, Dennis Hetzel, Karen M. McManus and many more!
ThrillerFest XII: Register Today!
Your ThrillerFest team is hard at work planning July’s conference where we’ll feature 2017 ThrillerMaster Lee Child, 2016 ThrillerMaster Heather Graham, 2017 Silver Bullet Award recipient Lisa Gardner, 2016 Silver Bullet Award recipient John Lescroart and MATCH UP (ITW Anthology) authors: Lara Adrian, Steve Berry, C.J. Box, Sandra Brown, Lee Child, Nelson DeMille, Diana Gabaldon, Andrew Gross, Charlaine Harris, Lisa Jackson, Peter James, J.A. Jance, Michael Koryta, Gayle Lynds, Val McDermid, David Morrell, Kathy Reichs, John Sandford, Lisa Scottoline, Karin Slaughter, and Eric Van Lustbader.
Master CraftFest: An extraordinary opportunity for writers and authors to meet and learn from the best in the industry in a full day of teaching and review of sample writing on Tuesday.
CraftFest: A host of industry experts or phenomenal teachers helping writers and authors improve their craft or assist in advancing their careers in classroom-type settings of hour-long sessions throughout the day Wednesday and Thursday morning.
PitchFest: An incredible opportunity for writers to pitch their manuscripts to as many of the best agents, publishers, and editors in the industry as they want on Thursday afternoon. (Note: Registration for PitchFest is an additional cost to either CraftFest or ThrillerFest and cannot be purchased as a stand-alone event for writers.)
ThrillerFest: A wonderful opportunity to meet the most successful and bestselling thriller authors in the world, starting with the Opening Night Cocktail Party on Thursday evening, and continuing with panels, interviews, and autograph sessions on Friday and Saturday.
The Thriller Awards Banquet, which is an added feature on the registration options, provides attendees a chance to see authors recognized by their peers for their work on Saturday night, the closing event. This is an amazing experience for both readers and authors, and should not be missed.
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for May. You won’t want to miss it!
May 1 – 7: “What proportion do thrillers represent of your overall reading? As a writer, do you read more non-fiction or genre fiction?”
May 8 – 15: “Which recent event would you love to include in your next novel and why?”
May 16 – 22: “Some writers love inserting highly specific brand names and editors often pull those out. What works and when? Is it advertising or is are these an instant indicator of one’s personal wealth or whims.”
May 23 – 29: “Telling the story right, how accurate must thrillers be to stay plausible, and yet include imaginative tech or devices not in existence today?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J.H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!
- Adrift by Lisa Brideau - June 1, 2023
- Fortune’s Cookie by Ann Simas - June 1, 2023
- A Nuclear Reaction by David Beckler - June 1, 2023