Read the stories that were in the May edition of The Big Thrill.
There’s no such thing as overnight success in publishing—but the featured authors in our May issue seem to challenge those industry norms. This month, April Snellings gets the scoop on the big news from Liv Constantine, Kate White dishes on her latest Bailey Weggins mystery, James Ziskin returns to The Big Thrill to interview R. G. Belsky, and Lisa Scottoline shares her insights into the importance of working hard. Plus, who are the names behind some of today’s most popular pseudonyms? Dawn Ius reports in this month’s trend article. Interviews with nearly 40 writers of mystery and suspense—live now!
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines: Liv Constantine by April Snellings
- Trend Report: The Thrill of Partnering Up by Dawn Ius
- Africa Scene: Frank Owen by Michael Sears
- On the Cover: Wendy Walker by April Snellings
- On the Cover: Jon Land by J. H. Bográn
- On the Cover: R. G. Belsky by James Ziskin
- In Conversation With: Tom Ryan and April Snellings
- Up Close: Kate White by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: Michael Koryta by R. G. Belsky
- Up Close: Alafair Burke by Dawn Ius
- BookTrib Spotlight: Sara Collins by Neil Nyren
- Up Close: Lisa Scottoline by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: Chris Pavone by Rick Pullen
- International Thrills: Timothy Jay Smith by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: Marcie Rendon by Tim O’Mara
- ITW Shorts: Lee Child and Karin Slaughter Collaboration
- The Secrets We Bury by Debra Webb
- Changing of the Guard Dog by Lane Stone
- The Marijuana Murders by Mark S. Bacon
- Down to the River by Tim O’Mara
- Hellfire by Ann Simas
- Until the Day I Die by Emily Carpenter
- The Devil and the Deep Blue Spy by Tom Savage
- The Mykonos Mob by Jeffrey Siger
- The Lost Night by Andrea Bartz
- K-9 Defense by Elizabeth Heiter
- The Flagler Hunt by Jeremy Burns
- Before She Was Found by Heather Gudenkauf
- Outcry Witness by Thomas Zigal
- Every Last Breath by Juno Rushdan
- The Hiding Place by C. J. Tudor
- The Pandora Room by Christopher Golden
- The Furious Way by Aaron Phillip Clark
- Widows’ Revenge by Lynda La Plante
- Once More Unto the Breach by Meghan Holloway
- Love is a Grift by Graham Wynd
- The Time Collector by Gwendolyn Womack
- Fatally Haunted by Rachel Howzell Hall, Sheila Lowe and Laurie Stevens
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from D. P. Lyle, Peter Houlahan, Charles Salzberg, Layton Green, Karen Harper, Ronan Frost, Ashley Dyer, Jeremy Burns, Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark, Michael Nieann, Jen Conley, R. J. Pineiro, Jeffery Hess, J. T. Brannan, E. V. Lind, Vanessa Wertermann, Michaelbrent Collings, DiAnn Mills, Jennifer Lawler, Tracy Clark, Hannah Mary McKinnon, Lee Murray, Jill Hand, Jon Land & Jessica Fletcher, Mary Lawrence, J. L. Delozier and many more!
Take Your Writing to the Next Level at CraftFest!
The original vision of CraftFest was to create exceptional and one-of a-kind classes for teaching the craft of thriller writing. Our mission has always been to provide attendees with the tools needed to take their writing to the next level and to help each reach their individual career goals. For over a decade now, we have worked to fulfill this vision. 2018 was yet again a great success and now we are preparing our 2019 line up of teachers and classes.
As always, CraftFest will have 4 tracks that for 2019 will run all day Wednesday, July 10 and for two hours on the morning of Thursday, July 11. Many of your favorite teachers will return and other exceptional authors and teachers will be added as we continue to evolve and improve.
Come to New York July 2019 and join us for ThrillerFest XIV, and, of course, CraftFest. We hope to see you there for what is always a fun and rewarding week.
ThrillerFest XIV: Register Today!
Your ThrillerFest team proudly announces that the 2019 conference, held at the Grand Hyatt, New York City from July 9-13, is open for registration. Don’t wait!
ThrillerFest XIV will include:
- 2019 ThrillerMaster John Sandford
- 2019 Silver Bullet Award recipient Harlan Coben
- 2018 Silver Bullet Award recipient James Rollins
- 2019 Thriller Legend Margaret Marbury
- 2019 Spotlight Guest Lisa Unger
- 2019 Spotlight Guest Stephen Hunter
ConsultFest: New! One-on-one fifteen minute session with a top acquiring editor or agent to get instant feedback on your query letter or first two pages of your manuscript. The writer will be assigned a time during CraftFest or ThrillerFest. Up to two consultations may be purchased when registering for any package.
ATF Pre-Conference Workshop: Presented by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). Add authenticity to your thrillers! The pre-conference ATF Workshop is a limited attendance event on the day before the main elements of the ThrillerFest conference. Space is limited and has previously sold out quickly. The workshop will be held at the Grand Hyatt.
Master Class: This one-day intensive writing program allows your instructor to focus on your craft and your story. Everyone is welcome, from beginning writers to well-established authors. Teachers for Master Class 2019 include top-selling members of ITW who will work with you in a small class setting. Instructors this year will be Grant Blackwood, David Corbett, Karen Dionne, Robert Dugoni, Steven James, D. P. Lyle, Gayle Lynds, Donald Maass, and F. Paul Wilson. Space is limited, so sign up soon.
CraftFest: Learn the craft of thriller writing from the best in the genre! Hone your thriller writing skills on many topics to provide you with the tools needed to take your writing to the next level. Special feature: CareerFest! Now that you’ve written that sparkling manuscript, where do you go from there? You don’t want to miss it!
PitchFest: Face-to-face pitching with fifty-plus top agents and acquiring editors who are actively looking for new thriller writer clients. Don’t miss this exceptional opportunity. Purchase an admittance package that includes PitchFest.
ThrillerFest: Spotlight guests, extraordinary programming, author book signings, and camaraderie. Includes the ThrillerFest Grand Opening Reception on Thursday evening, July 11th.
Thriller Awards Banquet: John Sandford will receive his 2019 ThrillerMaster Lifetime Achievement award. 2018 Silver Bullet Award James Rollins will present the 2019 Silver Bullet Award to Harlan Coben. Margaret Marbury will receive the 2019 Thriller Legend Award. All Thriller Award Winners will be announced. Fun, entertainment, and before and after cocktail parties!
Conference elements are priced flexibly to allow you more choices to fit your pocketbook and tailor your experience as you wish. When combining several events, you’ll receive a discount off individual item prices. Early Bird prices are the lowest available, so don’t wait!
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for this month. You won’t want to miss it!
April 29 – May 5: “Writers strive for unusual methods of murder. Do writers try too hard and, if not, what are some of the most memorable?”
May 6 – 12: “The month of May was named after the Roman goddess of fertility, Maia. Are authors expected to write plenty during the spring season?”
May 13 – 19: “How does a writer go about avoiding stereotyped characters? Is it possible to go to the other extreme?”
May 20 – 26: “In historical thrillers, how much leeway can an author take to play with historic facts and characters?”
May 27 – June 2: “Mystery books are often the first among critics to question conventional wisdom or the status quo. What are your favorite examples?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J. H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!