Read the stories that were in the July edition of the Big Thrill.
In this special issue we tell you the story behind the new ITW anthology MatchUp, which paired 22 top thriller authors in a suspenseful battle of the sexes. Gayle Lynds and Lee Child tell what went into developing the ambitious book, and the writers themselves share their collaboration highlights.
In the July issue, we also bring you interviews with bestselling authors Meg Gardiner, Peter James, Mark Alpert, and Wendy Webb. “International Thrills” takes us to Venezuela and the work of Israel Centeno. In “Africa Scene,” we learn more about Arthur Kerns.
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines: MatchUp by Dawn Ius
- Africa Scene: Arthur Kerns by Michael Sears
- International Thrills: Israel Centeno by Layton Green
- Up Close: Peter James by Alex Segura
- Up Close: Meg Gardiner by R. G. Belsky
- Up Close: Mark Alpert by April Snellings
- Up Close: Wendy Webb by Nancy Bilyeau
- The Fourth Monkey by J.D. Barker
- He Said/She Said by Erin Kelly
- Resurrection America by Jeff Gunhus
- Dead Spider by Victoria Houston
- Kill Devil Falls by Brian Klingborg
- Gone Without a Trace by Mary Torjussen
- American Static by Tom Pitts
- Hellmouth by Meredith Anthony
- The Fifth Reflection by Ellen Kirschman
- Persons Unkown by Susie Steiner
- Two Nights by Kathy Reichs
- Don’t Close Your Eyes by Holly Seddon
- Vice City by S. A. Stovall
- Retalio by Alison Morton
- The Dogs of War by John Wayne Falbey
- The Drowned Girls by Loreth Anne White
- Shallow Grave by Brian Thiem
- Murder in Mayfair by D. M. Quincy
- Flashmob by Christopher Farnsworth
- The Sinking of the Angie Piper by Chris Riley
- Watch Me Disappear by Janelle Brown
- Parent Teacher Association by Jennifer Soosar
- One Punch by Keith Dixon
- The Butcher’s Bill by Martin Roy Hill
- Blood and Needles by Billy Lyons
- Gitmo by Shawn Corridan & Gary Waid
- Exodus ’95 by Kifir Luzzatto
- The Last Good Man by Linda Nagata
- Treble at the Jam Fest by Leslie Budewitz
- Down on the Street by Alec Cizak
- Lockdown by Laurie R. King
- The Inside Dark by James Hankins
- Anchored by Death by Catherine Finger
- A Matter of Trust by Nancy A. Hughes
- Murder of the Doctor’s Wife by R. Barri Flowers
- The Hacker Chronicles by Patrick Oster
- Death’s Footprint by Donna Warner & Gloria Ferris
- Buried to Die by Ann Simas
- Perish From the Earth by Jonathan F. Putnam
- Battle Scars by David M. Salkin
- Trance Logic by Richard Rowland Billingsley
- Final Girls by Riley Sager
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Simon Toyne, James Swallow, Jon Land, Marcia Clarke and Linda Fairstein, Marcus Sakey, Sandra Brown, John Leonard Pielmeier, Pamela Crane, Bob Bickford, Barry W. Ozeroff, Ritter Ames, James Hankins, Glen Erik Hamilton, Connie Di Marco, Bill Schweigart, Maynard Sims, J. L. Delozier, Cara Black, David Housewright, Heidi Renee Mason, Kendra Elliot, Jack Getze, Eric J. Guignard and many more!
ThrillerFest XII: There’s Still Time to Register!
Your ThrillerFest team is hard at work planning July’s conference where we’ll feature 2017 ThrillerMaster Lee Child, 2016 ThrillerMaster Heather Graham, 2017 Silver Bullet Award recipient Lisa Gardner, 2016 Silver Bullet Award recipient John Lescroart and MATCH UP (ITW Anthology) authors: Lara Adrian, Steve Berry, C.J. Box, Sandra Brown, Lee Child, Nelson DeMille, Diana Gabaldon, Andrew Gross, Charlaine Harris, Lisa Jackson, Peter James, J.A. Jance, Michael Koryta, Gayle Lynds, Val McDermid, David Morrell, Kathy Reichs, John Sandford, Lisa Scottoline, Karin Slaughter, and Eric Van Lustbader.
Master CraftFest: An extraordinary opportunity for writers and authors to meet and learn from the best in the industry in a full day of teaching and review of sample writing on Tuesday.
CraftFest: A host of industry experts or phenomenal teachers helping writers and authors improve their craft or assist in advancing their careers in classroom-type settings of hour-long sessions throughout the day Wednesday and Thursday morning.
PitchFest: An incredible opportunity for writers to pitch their manuscripts to as many of the best agents, publishers, and editors in the industry as they want on Thursday afternoon. (Note: Registration for PitchFest is an additional cost to either CraftFest or ThrillerFest and cannot be purchased as a stand-alone event for writers.)
ThrillerFest: A wonderful opportunity to meet the most successful and bestselling thriller authors in the world, starting with the Opening Night Cocktail Party on Thursday evening, and continuing with panels, interviews, and autograph sessions on Friday and Saturday.
The Thriller Awards Banquet, which is an added feature on the registration options, provides attendees a chance to see authors recognized by their peers for their work on Saturday night, the closing event. This is an amazing experience for both readers and authors, and should not be missed.
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for July. You won’t want to miss it!
June 26 – July 2: NO ROUNDTABLE
July 3 – 9: NO ROUNDTABLE
July 10 – 16: “Why is the combination of villains and beauty – whether the orchids in Heat of the Night or the exotic tales of Uncle Charlie in Alfred Hitchcock’s Shadow of a Doubt – so alluring?”
July 17 – 23: “How hard do you work to avoid “formula” writing?”
July 24 – 30: “Character names – a first name can date an individual … Do names reflect the character of the character and do they offer their own tensions by defying a time period?”
July 31 – August 6: “The book you would recommend for those who are vacationing or staying at home – which is your one recommendation?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J.H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!
Congratulations to Melissa Hansen, the winner of this month’s BIG THRILL giveaway. Melissa will receive an assortment of signed thrillers including Battle Scars by David M. Salkin, The Hacker Chronicles by Patrick Oster, Red Sky by Chris Goff, Vice City by S.A. Stovall and Atticus by J.B. Manas.
All subscribers to The Big Thrill magazine are automatically eligible for the monthly drawing. CLICK HERE to subscribe to The Big Thrill.
- Vanished: Circle of the Red Lily with Anna J. Stewart - November 22, 2023
- From an Unknown Sender with Traci Hunter Abramson, Sian Ann Bessey - November 22, 2023
- Odyssey’s End with Matt Coyle - November 17, 2023