The June 2017 Edition of The Big Thrill is Here!
Read the stories that were in the June edition of the Big Thrill.
In the June issue, Scott Turow reveals the writing principles that guide him, and we learn about the winning storytelling techniques of Karen Dionne, Barry Lancet, Joseph Finder, Andrew Pyper, Matthew Sullivan, James W. Ziskin, and Gwendolyn Womack. In “International Thrills,” we get up to speed on the burgeoning career of Anne Holt of Norway, and “Africa Scene” talks to Sally Andrew.
In “Off the Page,” Kate Quinn talks about her character moving through time, and in “Author Guided Tour,” Karen Harper talks about the beauty of Mackinac Island. This month’s “Debut Author Spotlight” is Sheena Kamal.
We also learn about new novels from Eric Van Lustbader, Melodie Winawer, John Farrow, Kat Martin, Elena Hartwell, and 30 more.
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines: Scott Turow by R. G. Belsky
- Off the Page: Kate Quinn on a Wartime Story
- Author Guided Tour: Karen Harper on Mackinac Island
- Africa Scene: Sally Andrew by Michael Sears
- International Thrills: Anne Holt by David Swatling
- Debut Author Spotlight: Sheena Kamal by Sam Wiebe
- Up Close: Karen Dionne by J. H. Bográn
- Up Close: Joseph Finder by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: Barry Lancet by Nancy Bilyeau
- Up Close: James Ziskin by Alex Segura
- Up Close: Melodie Winawer by Alison McMahan
- Up Close: Andrew Pyper by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: Matthew Sullivan by E. M. Powell
- Up Close: Gwendolyn Womack by April Snellings
- The Fallen by Eric Van Lustbader
- Perish the Day by John Farrow
- A Deeper Grave by Debra Webb
- Hunts Point by Uriel E. Gribetz
- The Weight of Night by Christine Carbo
- Proof of Lies by Diana Rodriguez Wallach
- Two Heads Are Deader Than One by Elena Hartwell
- The Frangipani Tree Mystery and Meddling and Murder by Ovidia Yu
- Beyond Reason by Kat Martin
- Incognito by Khaled Talib
- The Suffering Tree by Elle Cosimano
- One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus
- Shadow Man by Alan Drew
- Back to Brooklyn by Lawrence Kelter
- Red Sky by Chris Goff
- The Clock Strikes Nun by Alice Loweecey
- The Girls’ Weekend Murder by Lynn McPherson
- Wolf Hunt by Paige Tyler
- Say You’re Sorry by Melinda Leigh
- Dangerous Ground by David M. Salkin
- Guilt Game by L. J. Sellers
- Season of Lies by Dennis Hetzel
- I’ll Eat When I’m Dead by Barbara Bourland
- Nickel City Blues by Gary Earl Ross
- The Brass Compass by Ellen Butler
- The One-Eyed Judge by Michael Ponsor
- Will to Live by Rachel Amphlett
- What the Dead Leave Behind by David Housewright
- Honor Among Thieves by Wayne Zurl
- Yeti Unleashed by Richard Edde
- Murder During the Chicago World’s Fair by R. Barri Flowers
- More Faces by Simon Maltman
- The Woman Who Knew Too Much by Tom Savage
- The Ultimatum by Karen Robards
- You’ll Never Know, Dear by Hallie Ephron
Coming Next Month
The authors of ITW’s new anthology MATCHUP, including Lara Adrian, Steve Berry, C.J. Box, Sandra Brown, Nelson DeMille, Diana Gabaldon, Andrew Gross, Charlaine Harris, Lisa Jackson, Peter James, J.A. Jance, Michael Koryta, Eric Van Lustbader, Gayle Lynds, Val McDermid, David Morrell, Kathy Reichs, Christopher Rice, John Sandford, Lisa Scottoline and Karin Slaughter, plus Barry Lancet, Mark Alpert, Meg Gardiner, J. D. Barker, Erin Kelly, Jeff Gunhus, Victoria Houston, Brian Klingborg, Mary Torjussen, Laurie R. King, James Hankins, Alison Morton, Catherine Finger, Kathy Reichs, R. Barri Flowers, David M. Salkin and many more!
ThrillerFest XII: There’s Still Time to Register!
Your ThrillerFest team is hard at work planning July’s conference where we’ll feature 2017 ThrillerMaster Lee Child, 2016 ThrillerMaster Heather Graham, 2017 Silver Bullet Award recipient Lisa Gardner, 2016 Silver Bullet Award recipient John Lescroart and MATCH UP (ITW Anthology) authors: Lara Adrian, Steve Berry, C.J. Box, Sandra Brown, Lee Child, Nelson DeMille, Diana Gabaldon, Andrew Gross, Charlaine Harris, Lisa Jackson, Peter James, J.A. Jance, Michael Koryta, Gayle Lynds, Val McDermid, David Morrell, Kathy Reichs, John Sandford, Lisa Scottoline, Karin Slaughter, and Eric Van Lustbader.
Master CraftFest: An extraordinary opportunity for writers and authors to meet and learn from the best in the industry in a full day of teaching and review of sample writing on Tuesday.
CraftFest: A host of industry experts or phenomenal teachers helping writers and authors improve their craft or assist in advancing their careers in classroom-type settings of hour-long sessions throughout the day Wednesday and Thursday morning.
PitchFest: An incredible opportunity for writers to pitch their manuscripts to as many of the best agents, publishers, and editors in the industry as they want on Thursday afternoon. (Note: Registration for PitchFest is an additional cost to either CraftFest or ThrillerFest and cannot be purchased as a stand-alone event for writers.)
ThrillerFest: A wonderful opportunity to meet the most successful and bestselling thriller authors in the world, starting with the Opening Night Cocktail Party on Thursday evening, and continuing with panels, interviews, and autograph sessions on Friday and Saturday.
The Thriller Awards Banquet, which is an added feature on the registration options, provides attendees a chance to see authors recognized by their peers for their work on Saturday night, the closing event. This is an amazing experience for both readers and authors, and should not be missed.
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for June. You won’t want to miss it!
May 29 – June 4 : “Do publishers fact-check – or is that the author’s job? Who’s ultimately responsible?”
June 5 – 11: “What was the novel that turned you into a writer?”
June 12 – 18: “Just like Madonna’s song “The Power of Goodbye,” how difficult it is to let go of a character? Is it different in a series or stand-alone?”
June 19 – 25: “What are the advantages of the new media to bridge readers with authors?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J.H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!
Congratulations to Leah Blose, the winner of this month’s BIG THRILL giveaway. Leah will receive an assortment of signed thrillers including Need You Dead by Peter James, Disciples of Death by Paul Howard, The Sinking of the Angie Piper by Chris Riley, Kill Devil Falls by Brian Klingborg, Double Vision by F.T. Bradley, The Girl’s Weekend Murder by Lynn McPherson and Echoes of Terror by Maris Soule.
All subscribers to The Big Thrill magazine are automatically eligible for the monthly drawing. CLICK HERE to subscribe to The Big Thrill.
- The March 2023 Edition of The Big Thrill is Here! - February 28, 2023
- On the Cover: Jacqueline Holland - February 28, 2023
- On the Cover: Jonathan Kellerman - February 28, 2023