Read the stories that were featured in the September edition of The Big Thrill.
40 new thrillers this month from ITW members, including four from first-time authors Johnny Shaw, Trevor Shane, Alma Katsu and Amy Rogers, plus News From South Africa by Mike Nicol!
Print the Big Thrill list and head on down to your favorite bookstore, or download your selections to your electronic e-reader, and enjoy a month’s worth of great reading from your friends at the International Thriller Writers.
Click on a book title to read the feature story
- News From South Africa by Mike Nicol
- Flash and Bones by Kathy Reichs
- Petroplague by Amy Rogers
- Saint’s Gate by Carla Neggers
- Only Fear by Anne Marie Becker
- Where All The Dead Lie by J.T. Ellison
- The Black Stiletto by Raymond Benson
- The Arranger by L.J. Sellers
- The Ninth Day by Jamie Freveletti
- Getting Off by Lawrence Block writing as Jill Emerson
- Children of Paranoia by Trevor Shane
- Did Not Finish by Simon Wood
- Half-Past Dawn by Richard Doetsch
- The City of Secrets by Kelli Stanley
- Pay Me in Flesh by K. Bennett
- The Ronin’s Mistress by Laura Joh Rowland
- A Killer’s Essence by Dave Zeltserman
- Dove Season: A Jimmy Veeder Fiasco by Johnny Shaw
- Under the Dog Star by Sandra Parshall
- Pirate King by Laurie R. King
- The Queen by Steven James
- The Essene Conspiracy by S.Eric Wachtel
- Lassiter by Paul Levine
- Claim of Innocence by Laura Caldwell
- 13 Million Dollar Pop by David Levien
- A Rhumba In Waltz Time by Robert S. Levinson
- The Taker by Alma Katsu
- The Jihad’s Messiah by Nick Daniels
- The Hitman’s Woman by Devon Vaughn Archer
- Revenge by Michael Haskins
- Dangerous Women & Desperate Men by Rick Mofina
- Sweet Justice by Christy Reece
- A Just Deception by Adrienne Giordano
- Primacy by J.E. Fishman
- Suckerpunch by Jeremy Brown
- Very Bad Men by Harry Dolan
- Moonlight Rises by Vincent Zandri
- Motor City Shakedown by D.E. Johnson
- Exit by Phillip Thomas Duck
- Kusanagi by Clem Chambers
- Secrets of the Dead by Tom Harper
Coming Next Month
Coming next month: the latest thrillers from Lee Child, Shiloh Walker, Wendy Corsi Staub, Todd Ritter, Richard Mabry, Adrianne Sainte-Eve, Joelle Charbonneau, Elizabeth Goddard, David Hodges, Barbara Graham, C. C. Harrison, John C. Boland, Wendy Corsi Staub, W.D. Gagliani, David J. Walker, Linda O. Johnston, J.N. Duncan and more. It’s gonna be a thriller!
2011 Operation Thriller USO Tour
In Fall 2011, ITW members Clive Cussler, Sandra Brown, Kathy Reichs, Mark Bowden, and Andrew Peterson will deploy to the Middle East on a week-long USO tour to visit and uplift troops. The authors will sign autographs, pose for photos with the troops and talk about their books, movies, television series and writing.
The tour, conceived of and organized by Andy Harp, and entitled Operation Thriller, is the second USO Operation Thriller tour. Last year, authors David Morrell, Douglas Preston, James Rollins, Steve Berry, and Andy Harp kicked off the tour with a special visit to Washington, D.C., where the group visited with troops at Walter Reed Army Medical Center and National Naval Medical Center. The group then flew to the Persian Gulf, visiting five bases in Kuwait and Iraq, where they talked fiction, inspired service men and women, spread cheer and, most importantly, showed their heartfelt gratitude.
Read more about last year’s tour here, and find links to what the authors had to say about their experiences.
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at the Big Thrill website, where each week, a new group of authors discuss what inspires them, who their favorite hero characters are, what advice they’d offer the next generation of thriller authors, and more.
Week of September 6 – 11: “As writers and readers, we love a beginning that hooks us, and a twisting ending that won’t let us go. But what about often overlooked Act II? How do you keep it equally compelling?” with Jim Duncan, Steven James and Todd Ritter
Week of September 12 – 18: “What do you call upon to create your characters? Life experience? People you’ve encountered? Other fictional characters? Your own inner-psyche? Archetypes?” C. C. Harrison, CE Lawrence, Bob Levinson, S. Eric Wachtel and Camille Minichino
Week of September 19 – 25: “What’s the one thriller (or perhaps thriller writer) that really grabbed you, but seems to never have gotten the deserved notoriety and/or accolades? Why that book/writer?” S. Eric Wachtel and more
Week of September 26 – October 2: “In On Writing, Stephen King tells the story of asking Amy Tan what’s the one question she’s never asked in a Q&A. She responded, “They never ask about the language.” So, we’re asking: What about language? How much credence do you give it? What does it do for your story? Characters? Dialogue? Setting? The reader? How important is it?” Catriona McPherson, D.E/ Johnson and Kelli Stanley
Congratulations to Bob Moeller, the winner of this month’s BIG THRILL giveaway. Bob will receive an assortment of signed thrillers including Suckerpunch by Jeremy Brown, Dove Season: A Jimmy Veeder Fiasco by Johnny Shaw, Low Town by Daniel Polansky, The Story in the Stars by Yvonne Anderson, Kage by John Donohue, Full Black by Brad Thor, Primacy by J.E. Fishman, The Jihad’s Messiah by Nick Daniels, Nothing But The Truth by Jarkko Sipila, The Ninth Day by Jamie Freveletti, Pay Me In Flesh by K. Bennett, Killing Kate by Julie Kramer, Saint’s Gate by Carla Neggers.
All subscribers to THE BIG THRILL webzine are automatically eligible for the monthly drawing. CLICK HERE to subscribe to the BIG THRILL email.
ITW “Fear” authors support RIF at ThrillerFest
During the 2011 Thrillerfest, authors from the YA anthology, FEAR: 13 Stories of Suspense and Horror, edited by R.L. Stine, crowded together to support Reading Is Fundamental (RIF), the nation’s oldest and largest children’s literacy organization.
You can read all about it, here.
All of the authors involved in this anthology including R.L. Stine have generously donated their stories to this effort. Half of the proceeds from the FEAR anthology go to support RIF (Reading is Fundamental), and the other half go to support ITW. The International Thriller Writers warmly thanks the authors for their time and effort.
BIG sale on Thrillerfest CD’s and MP3’s
Thrillerfest 2008 through 2010:
All MP3’s on sale for just $2.99 each!
CD’s only $3.99 each, and a full set recorded on 2 CD’s is now only $149!
Find out what you’ve been missing. Click here to get your copies today!
- The October 2021 Edition of The Big Thrill is Here! - September 30, 2021
- Up Close: Anthony Horowitz - September 30, 2021
- AudioFile Spotlight: Behind the Mic with Actor Alfred Molina - September 30, 2021