In times of crisis, we take solace in creature comforts—the familiarity of an old fictional friend, the opportunity to escape reality, if even for a few hours, or the friendly smile of encouragement from a literary idol. No question about it, the industry is shook. But writers are resilient, and in this issue of The Big Thrill, the authors of dozens of new releases share how they are weathering this storm. This month, Dawn Ius talks to editors, agents, and writers about the impact of COVID-19 on the thriller writing industry, David Baldacci and J. D. Barker give insight into how tragedy can fuel inspiration, Maxine Mei-Fung Chung, Jennifer Hillier, and many others share how they are adapting their promotional efforts to meet new marketing challenges, and Dean Koontz reiterates the importance of not believing everything you hear. Plus, we pay tribute to the Grandmaster of Adventure, Clive Cussler, with a look back on his iconic career. Our April issue is packed with enough articles to keep you busy throughout self isolation. Stay home, friends—and stay healthy.
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- ICONS: Clive Cussler by Dawn Ius
- The Impact of COVID-19 on the Thriller Writing Industry by Dawn Ius
- Practical Advice: Four Tips For Living and Working in Isolation from a Former Submarine Officer
- On the Cover: Jennifer Hillier by April Snellings
- Up Close: Dean Koontz by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: Sarah Zettel by Millie Naylor Hast
- Up Close: Linda Howard and Linda Jones by Jaden Terrell
- BookTrib Spotlight: Sara Sligar by Neil Nyren
- Up Close: David Baldacci by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: Samantha M. Bailey by Josie Brown
- Up Close: Marcia Clark by K. L. Romo
- Up Close: Tim O’Mara by J. H. Bográn
- Up Close: Menna van Praag by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: J. D. Barker by April Snellings
- Africa Scene: Tony Park by Michael Sears
- On the Cover: Rick Reed by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: Clarissa Goenawan by Charles Salzberg
- Up Close: Humphrey Hawksley by Austin S. Camacho
- Up Close: Matthew Quirk by K. L. Romo
- Career Pursuit: An Interview With Gary Phillips
- Up Close: Maxine Mei-Fung Chung by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: Alma Katsu by Adam Meyer
- AudioFile Spotlight: In Conversation with Jason Reynolds
- The Traitor’s Pawn by Lisa Harris
- Trust Me by Richard Z. Santos
- Flight Risk by Cara Putman
- The Body in the Garden by Katharine Schellman
- The Swamp Killers: A Novel in Stories by Sarah M. Chen and E.A. Aymar
- The Forever House by Tim Waggoner
- I’m Dying As Fast As I Can by Jerry Kennealy
- Covert Ops by J. T. Brannan
- Cross Her Heart by Melinda Leigh
- The Starr Sting Scale by C. S. O’Cinneide
- Mimi Lee Gets A Clue by Jennifer J. Chow
- Silent Shadows by Natalie Walters
- Follow You Down by Geoff Hyatt
- Crimes and Survivors by Sarah Smith
- Dead Wrong by Noelle Holten
- The Black Pill by L. J. Sellers
- I May Kill You by Keith Dixon
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Michael Connelly, R. G. Belsky, Scott Turow, Dale Brown, Paul Levine, Karen Harper, Kate White, Jack Carr, Heather Graham, Liv Constantine, Josie Brown, Sheena Kamal, Kaye D. Schmitz, Paul D. Brazill, Reagan Keeter, Arthur Kerns, Diane Byington, Nick Thacker, Elena Taylor, John Farrow, Ann Simas, Reece Hirsch, Dana King, James B. McPike, Joe Ricker and many more!
ThrillerFest XV: Registration is Open!
Kimberley Howe, ThrillerFest Executive Director, would like everyone to know we’re monitoring the situation in New York City carefully, and we’re in close contact with our friends at the Hyatt. The safety of our attendees is our absolute priority, and we’ll be keeping everyone informed about any updates. Please stay safe during these challenging times.
ThrillerFest XV – 2020 will be held at the Grand Hyatt New York from July 7 – 11, 2020.
Come share in the excitement of another thrilling conference!
We have a fabulous line-up of special guests this year, including:
- 2020 ThrillerMaster Diana Gabaldon
- 2019 ThrillerMaster John Sandford
- 2020 Silver Bullet Award recipient Michael Connelly
- 2020 Spotlight Guest Veronica Roth
- 2020 Spotlight Guest Joseph Finder
- 2020 Thriller Legend Writers House
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discusses everything from what they love about writing thrillers to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for this month. You won’t want to miss it!
April 13 – 19: “As thriller writers, what are we learning from the ongoing Covid-19 outbreak?”
April 20 – 26: “How hard it is to avoid “formula” writing?”
April 27 – May 3: “The term ‘high-concept’ is often suggested to beginner writers as something to aim for in their work. What is it and can you provide examples?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J. H. Bográn.
The NEW Big Thrill Book Giveaway
Congratulations to David P. and Linda L. winners of February’s New The Big Thrill Book Giveaway!
They each received 10 signed thrillers from ITW members.
You could be our next winner!
Current and new subscribers welcome.
- Vanished: Circle of the Red Lily with Anna J. Stewart - November 22, 2023
- From an Unknown Sender with Traci Hunter Abramson, Sian Ann Bessey - November 22, 2023
- Odyssey’s End with Matt Coyle - November 17, 2023