Read the stories that were in the October edition of The Big Thrill.
We’re leaping into the season with spooky tales of writers taking tremendous leaps of faith. Our cover author Patricia Cornwell shares why, after 24 books, she’s kicking off a new series with a new character. Stephen Chbosky abandons his young adult roots and launches a literary horror, 20 years after The Perks of Being a Wallflower became an international success. Four panelists explain why Stephen is King in a new column by April Snellings, Neil Nyren gives us two spotlight features, and we interview more than 30 authors of new thrillers including J. A. Jance, Jaden Terrell, Tess Gerritsen, and Steven James. The October issue of The Big Thrill is live—and it’s scary good!
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines: Patricia Cornwell by Dawn Ius
- ICONS: Weighing in on the King’s Influence by April Snellings
- On The Cover: Steven James by Rick Pullen
- Up Close: Vanessa Lillie by K. L. Romo
- Up Close: Stephen Chbosky by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: Casey Barrett by J. H. Bográn
- BookTrib Spotlight: John Vercher by Neil Nyren
- On the Cover: Clay McLeod Chapman by April Snellings
- Up Close: D. P. Lyle MD by J. H. Bográn
- Up Close: J. A. Jance by P. J. Bodnar
- Up Close: Raymond Khoury by Austin Camacho
- On the Cover: Jaden Terrell by Dawn Ius
- Africa Scene: Chris Abani by Michael Sears
- Up Close: Tess Gerritsen by April Snellings
- Up Close: J. J. Hensley by Wendy Tyson
- Up Close: Tosca Lee by Dawn Ius
- BookTrib Spotlight: Jane Cockram by Neil Nyren
- Up Close: Bill Brewer by K. L. Romo
- Up Close: Raymond Benson by J. H. Bográn
- AudioFile Spotlight: Gained in Translation by Ellen Quint
- Getting Graphic: Fantômas by Joshua Corin
- Always Look Twice by Elizabeth Goddard
- Pride & Extreme Prejudice by Eric J. Gates
- The Scandal by Nicola Marsh
- Lethal Agent by Kyle Mills and Vince Flynn
- The Headstone Detective Agency by Robert J. Randisi
- After the Storm by Marietta Miles
- The Brink by James S. Murray and Darren Wearmouth
- The Presence of Evil by J. T. Patten
- One Night Gone by Tara Laskowski
- The Girl Buried in the Woods: Detective Matt Jones Book 3 by Robert Ellis
- Gods & Snipers by David Healey
- Dark Museum by Melanie Surani
- The Dead Beat Scroll by Mark Coggins
- Bones of the Innocent by John A. Connell
- Handmade Ho-Ho Homicide: An Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery by Lois Winston
- Church of the Graveyard Saints by C. Joseph Greaves
- The Olympian by Mark Atley
- The Gryphon Heist by James R. Hannibal
- Crossing the Chicken by J. L. Abramo
- The Guilty Mother by Diane Jeffrey
- One Final Breath by Lynn H. Blackburn
- Diamonds & Deception: Karina Cardinal Mystery Book 3 by Ellen Butler
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Lee Child, Michael Connelly, Clive Cussler and Boyd Morrison, David Baldacci, Alan Furst, Brian Andrews, Leanna Renee Hieber, Avanti Centrae, Paula Munier, Chad Zunker, Kimberley Gabriel, A. J. Banner, Tori Eldridge, Richard Rowland Billingsley, D. K. Hood, John F. Dobbyn, Keith Dixon, Nigel Bird, Max Tomlinson, Lisa de Nikolits, Gigi Pandian, Cat Connor and many more!
ThrillerFest XV: Early Bird Registration is Here!
ThrillerFest XV – 2020 will be held at the Grand Hyatt New York from July 7 – 11, 2020.
Come share in the excitement of another thrilling conference!
We have a fabulous line-up of special guests this year, including:
- 2020 ThrillerMaster Diana Gabaldon
- 2019 ThrillerMaster John Sandford
- 2020 Silver Bullet Award recipient Michael Connelly
- 2020 Spotlight Guest Veronica Roth
- 2020 Spotlight Guest Joseph Finder
- 2020 Thriller Legend Writers House
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for this month. You won’t want to miss it!
October 7 – 13: “Is it hard to start a new novel? Is there a difference between writing a series or stand-alone?”
October 14 – 20: “What features of a thriller by an unknown author would make you want to read it?”
October 21 – 27: “Discuss your best sources for research.”
October 28 – November 3: “As thriller writers, do you like horror? Have you written anything in that genre?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J. H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!
The NEW Big Thrill Book Giveaway
We’re celebrating the beginning of Fall with a New The Big Thrill Book Giveaway!
You could be October’s winner!
On October 25th we will choose 2 more lucky winners to receive 10 signed books each!
But you have to enter to have a chance to win.
Current and new subscribers welcome.
Come and Get Me by August Norman
Final Shadows by Kay Hooper
An Excuse for Murder by Vanessa Westermann
The Girl With 39 Graves by Michael Beres
They All Fall Down by Rachel Howzell Hall
Before She was Found by Heather Gudenkauf
Guarding Savage by Dave Edlund
The Secrets We Bury by Debra Webb
You Will Suffer by Alexandra Ivy
The Cats Came Back by Sofie Kelly
Where Fools Dare to Tread by David William Pearce
Below the Fold by R. G. Belsky
The Dirty Network by A. M. Halvorssen
The Wrong Boy by Cathy Ace
Secret Shepherd: Maidstone Series, Book Two by James Osborne
The Art of Deception by Louise Mangos
Outcry Witness by Thomas Zigal
Hellfire: An Andi Comstock Supernatural Mystery by Ann Simas
Her Secret Son by Hannah Mary McKinnon
Dangerous Alliance by Randall Krzak
CLICK HERE to enter our next Big Thrill Giveaway. You could be our next winner!
Latest posts by ITW (see all)
- February 17 – 23: “Are broken-hearted villains suspenseful?” - February 16, 2020
- February 10 – 16: “What’s love got to do with it?” - February 9, 2020
- February 3 – 9: “How do you determine when a story is ready?” - February 2, 2020