Read the stories that were in the July edition of The Big Thrill.
With ThrillerFest just around the corner, it makes sense that our July issue be an ode to the premiere thriller event of the year. In Between the Lines, April Snellings talks to last year’s Best Hardcover winner, Riley Sager, Dawn Ius interviews this year’s award nominees, and ITW Executive Director Liz Berry offers up invaluable advice on making the most of your conference experience. Don’t worry if you can’t attend (though there’s still time to register)—we have lots for you to read in this issue, including up close interviews with David Bell, Laura Lippman, Denise Mina, Brad Thor, Carter Wilson, and more than a dozen authors of this summer’s hottest thrillers.
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines: Riley Sager by April Snellings
- ITW Award Nominees: Best Hardcover Novel
- On the Cover: Carter Wilson by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: Nina Laurin by Jaden Terrell
- Up Close: David Bell by P. J. Bodnar
- Africa Scene: Tony Park by Michael Sears
- ITW Award Nominees: Best First Novel
- On the Cover: Laura Lippman by Alex Segura
- Up Close: Brad Thor by Josie Brown
- Up Close: Denise Mina by April Snellings
- Liz Berry on Making the Most of ThrillerFest by Dawn Ius
- ITW Award Nominees: Best Young Adult Novel
- Up Close: Joshilyn Jackson by K. L. Romo
- Up Close: Alison Gaylin by K. L. Romo
- ITW Award Nominees: Best Short Story
- BookTrib Spotlight: Chanelle Benz
- AudioFile: Audiobook Fan Goes Gaga for Golden Voices by Ellen Quint
- The Last House Guest by Megan Miranda
- Dear Wife by Kimberly Belle
- The Midnight Call by Jodé Millman
- Girl in the Rearview Mirror by Kelsey Rae Dimberg
- New York Minute by Bob Mayer
- Black Summer by M. W. Craven
- Her Daughter’s Mother by Daniela Petrova
- Whisper in the Night by D. K. Hood
- Proof of Life by Sheila Lowe
- One Small Sacrifice by Hilary Davidson
- Chai Another Day by Leslie Budewitz
- Images by Lauri Broadbent
- Dark Spiral Down by Michael Houtz
- A House Divided: A Lincoln & Speed Mystery by Jonathan F. Putnam
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from David Baldacci, Hallie Ephron, Hank Phillippi Ryan, Karin Slaughter, Steve Berry & M J Rose, Caleb Breakey, Jack Carr, Rob Hart, Alex Segura, Lincoln & Child, Sandra Brown, Matthew Betley, Ann Simas, Ronie Kendig, Kaira Rauda, Annelise Ryan, Cynthia Kuhn, Jane Jordan, Elizabeth Blake, Ellison Cooper, Heather Redmond, Patricia McLinn and many more!
ThrillerFest XIV: Still Time to Register!
Your ThrillerFest team proudly announces that the 2019 conference, held at the Grand Hyatt, New York City from July 9-13, is open for registration. Don’t wait!
ThrillerFest XIV will include:
- 2019 ThrillerMaster John Sandford
- 2019 Silver Bullet Award recipient Harlan Coben
- 2018 Silver Bullet Award recipient James Rollins
- 2019 Thriller Legend Margaret Marbury
- 2019 Spotlight Guest Lisa Unger
- 2019 Spotlight Guest Stephen Hunter
ConsultFest: New! One-on-one fifteen minute session with a top acquiring editor or agent to get instant feedback on your query letter or first two pages of your manuscript. The writer will be assigned a time during CraftFest or ThrillerFest. Up to two consultations may be purchased when registering for any package.
ATF Pre-Conference Workshop: Presented by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). Add authenticity to your thrillers! The pre-conference ATF Workshop is a limited attendance event on the day before the main elements of the ThrillerFest conference. Space is limited and has previously sold out quickly. The workshop will be held at the Grand Hyatt.
Master Class: This one-day intensive writing program allows your instructor to focus on your craft and your story. Everyone is welcome, from beginning writers to well-established authors. Teachers for Master Class 2019 include top-selling members of ITW who will work with you in a small class setting. Instructors this year will be Grant Blackwood, David Corbett, Karen Dionne, Robert Dugoni, Steven James, D. P. Lyle, Gayle Lynds, Donald Maass, and F. Paul Wilson. Space is limited, so sign up soon.
CraftFest: Learn the craft of thriller writing from the best in the genre! Hone your thriller writing skills on many topics to provide you with the tools needed to take your writing to the next level. Special feature: CareerFest! Now that you’ve written that sparkling manuscript, where do you go from there? You don’t want to miss it!
PitchFest: Face-to-face pitching with fifty-plus top agents and acquiring editors who are actively looking for new thriller writer clients. Don’t miss this exceptional opportunity. Purchase an admittance package that includes PitchFest.
ThrillerFest: Spotlight guests, extraordinary programming, author book signings, and camaraderie. Includes the ThrillerFest Grand Opening Reception on Thursday evening, July 11th.
Thriller Awards Banquet: John Sandford will receive his 2019 ThrillerMaster Lifetime Achievement award. 2018 Silver Bullet Award James Rollins will present the 2019 Silver Bullet Award to Harlan Coben. Margaret Marbury will receive the 2019 Thriller Legend Award. All Thriller Award Winners will be announced. Fun, entertainment, and before and after cocktail parties!
Conference elements are priced flexibly to allow you more choices to fit your pocketbook and tailor your experience as you wish. When combining several events, you’ll receive a discount off individual item prices. Early Bird prices are the lowest available, so don’t wait!
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for this month. You won’t want to miss it!
July 1 – 7: NO ROUNDTABLE – JULY 4 HOLIDAY
July 8 – 14: NO ROUNDTABLE – THRILLERFEST
July 15 – 21: “What was the most difficult thing to research in your last novel?”
July 22 – 28: “Tell us about your favorite book on the craft of writing.”
July 29 – August 4: “Is it difficult to write characters of the opposite sex? How do you tackle it?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J. H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!