The June 2019 Edition of The Big Thrill
Read the stories that were in the June edition of The Big Thrill.
From features on bestselling authors Janet Evanovich, D. P. Lyle, Ronan Frost, and this year’s ThrillerMaster John Sandford, to former Cosmopolitan boss-turned mystery writer Kate White’s 15-minute cure for procrastination, the June issue of The Big Thrill has something for both readers and writers alike. In this month’s trend article, Dawn Ius explores why memoirs are the new darlings of the true crime genre, Michael Sears interviews Max Annas in Africa Scene, and we launch a new partnership with AudioFile Magazine, bringing you some of the hottest audio books of the season. Plus, interviews with more than 30 authors of page-turning suspense.
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines: John Sandford by Dawn Ius
- The Fifteen Minute Miracle: How I Learned to Stop Procrastinating and Start Writing by Kate White
- On the Cover: D. P. Lyle by J. H. Bográn
- On the Cover: Karen Harper by Wendy Tyson
- Trend Report: True Crime Memoirs by Dawn Ius
- ITW Award Nominees: Best Paperback Original Novel
- Up Close: Layton Green by P. J. Bodnar
- Up Close: Janet Evanovich by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: Charles Salzberg by Nish Amarnath
- International Thrills: Ashley Dyer by Dawn Ius
- Africa Scene: Max Annas by Michael Sears
- Up Close: Michael Stanley by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: Ronan Frost by J. H. Bográn
- AudioFile: The Many Mysteries of The Big Apple
- Up Close: Peter Houlahan by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: Jeremy Burns by Rick Pullen
- BookTrib Spotlight: Allison Montclair by Neil Nyren
- ITW Award Nominees: Best E-Book Original Novel
- Only When I Scream by E. V. Lind
- No Right Way by Michael Niemann
- Seven Ways to Get Rid of Harry by Jen Conley
- Terminal by Michaelbrent Collings
- Coyote’s Poison by Jennifer Lawler
- Chilling Effect by R. J. Pineiro
- No Salvation by Jeffery Hess
- An Excuse for Murder by Vanessa Westermann
- Long Walk Home by DiAnn Mills
- The Thousand Dollar Killers by J. T. Brannan
- Borrowed Time by Tracy Clark
- White Oaks by Jill Hand
- Murder She Wrote, Murder in Red by Jon Land & Jessica Fletcher
- Countdown by Matt Phillips
- Part-time Zombie by Gerald Dean Rice
- Her Secret Son by Hannah Mary McKinnon
- Greasepaint & .45s by Ryan Sayles (editor)
- Charlie 316 by Colin Conway and Frank Zafiro
- The Alchemist of Lost Souls by Mary Lawrence
- Into the Ashes by Lee Murray
- Blood Type X by J. L. Delozier
- The Art of Deception by Louise Mangos
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Brad Thor, Carter Wilson, Riley Sager, Nina Lauren, David Bell , Laura Lippman, Alison Gaylin, Denise Mina, Adrian McKinty, Joshilyn Jackson, Kimberly Belle, M. W. Craven, Megan Miranda, Bob Mayer, Daniela Petrova, D. K. Hood, Kelsey Rae Dimberg, Sheila Lowe, Jode Millman, Hilary Davidson and many more!
The ThrillerFest Schedule is Now Available!
Featured guests, extraordinary programming, author book signings, and camaraderie!
ThrillerFest is the annual conference of International Thriller Writers and the premier event of the year for thriller fans, authors, and publishing professionals. ThrillerFest runs from Thursday, July 11th’s fabulous Grand Opening Reception (6:30pm-8:00pm) to Saturday, July 13th’s Thriller Awards Banquet (6:00pm-late) with cocktail parties before and after the banquet.
View the ThrillerFest Schedule – Click on the schedule to download and print the PDF.
ThrillerFest XIV: Still Time to Register!
Your ThrillerFest team proudly announces that the 2019 conference, held at the Grand Hyatt, New York City from July 9-13, is open for registration. Don’t wait!
ThrillerFest XIV will include:
- 2019 ThrillerMaster John Sandford
- 2019 Silver Bullet Award recipient Harlan Coben
- 2018 Silver Bullet Award recipient James Rollins
- 2019 Thriller Legend Margaret Marbury
- 2019 Spotlight Guest Lisa Unger
- 2019 Spotlight Guest Stephen Hunter
ConsultFest: New! One-on-one fifteen minute session with a top acquiring editor or agent to get instant feedback on your query letter or first two pages of your manuscript. The writer will be assigned a time during CraftFest or ThrillerFest. Up to two consultations may be purchased when registering for any package.
ATF Pre-Conference Workshop: Presented by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). Add authenticity to your thrillers! The pre-conference ATF Workshop is a limited attendance event on the day before the main elements of the ThrillerFest conference. Space is limited and has previously sold out quickly. The workshop will be held at the Grand Hyatt.
Master Class: This one-day intensive writing program allows your instructor to focus on your craft and your story. Everyone is welcome, from beginning writers to well-established authors. Teachers for Master Class 2019 include top-selling members of ITW who will work with you in a small class setting. Instructors this year will be Grant Blackwood, David Corbett, Karen Dionne, Robert Dugoni, Steven James, D. P. Lyle, Gayle Lynds, Donald Maass, and F. Paul Wilson. Space is limited, so sign up soon.
CraftFest: Learn the craft of thriller writing from the best in the genre! Hone your thriller writing skills on many topics to provide you with the tools needed to take your writing to the next level. Special feature: CareerFest! Now that you’ve written that sparkling manuscript, where do you go from there? You don’t want to miss it!
PitchFest: Face-to-face pitching with fifty-plus top agents and acquiring editors who are actively looking for new thriller writer clients. Don’t miss this exceptional opportunity. Purchase an admittance package that includes PitchFest.
ThrillerFest: Spotlight guests, extraordinary programming, author book signings, and camaraderie. Includes the ThrillerFest Grand Opening Reception on Thursday evening, July 11th.
Thriller Awards Banquet: John Sandford will receive his 2019 ThrillerMaster Lifetime Achievement award. 2018 Silver Bullet Award James Rollins will present the 2019 Silver Bullet Award to Harlan Coben. Margaret Marbury will receive the 2019 Thriller Legend Award. All Thriller Award Winners will be announced. Fun, entertainment, and before and after cocktail parties!
Conference elements are priced flexibly to allow you more choices to fit your pocketbook and tailor your experience as you wish. When combining several events, you’ll receive a discount off individual item prices. Early Bird prices are the lowest available, so don’t wait!
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for this month. You won’t want to miss it!
June 3 – 9: “As writers, what lessons can we glean from the fans’ backlash to the finale of Game of Thrones?”
June 10 – 16: “What are the pitfalls and/or benefits of using real people as characters?”
June 17 – 23: “Besides technology, what are the main differences from the thrillers of the 50s, 60s and 70s with today’s bestsellers?”
June 24 – 30: “At what age did you realize writing suited you, and how did it happen?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J. H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!
- Adrift by Lisa Brideau - June 1, 2023
- Fortune’s Cookie by Ann Simas - June 1, 2023
- A Nuclear Reaction by David Beckler - June 1, 2023