Read the stories that were in the April edition of The Big Thrill.
Spring on the thrillers! In a new Tales from the Script column, Christopher Golden gives April Snellings the scoop on the screen adaptation of his Ben Walker series, Dawn Ius goes Between the Lines with epic storyteller Greg Iles, P. J. Bodnar gains insight into the kick-ass lives of the Rogue Women Writers, and we get up close and personal with Carla Buckley, Harlan Coben, Rachel Caine, Christopher Reich, and dozens more. Plus, we kick off a new column with a conversation between genre superstars Linda Fairstein and Jane Stanton Hitchcock. All this and much more in our most robust issue of The Big Thrill yet.
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines: Greg Iles by Dawn Ius
- Tales From the Script: Christopher Golden by April Snellings
- Trend Report: Fear thy Neighbor? by Dawn Ius
- On the Cover: Meet the Rogue Women of the Thriller Industry
- Up Close: Harlan Coben by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: Christopher Reich by Guy Bergston
- Up Close: Carla Buckley by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: Rachel Caine by K. L. Romo
- Up Close: Ed Fuller and Gary Grossman by Dawn Ius
- In Conversation With: Linda Fairstein and Jane Stanton Hitchcock
- BookTrib Spotlight: David R. Dow by Neil Nyren
- International Thrills: Vanessa Savage by Dawn Ius
- Africa Scene: Jo Macgregor by Michael Sears
- ITW Online Career School: Lessons Learned by Dawn Ius
- Corned Beef and Casualties by Lynn Cahoon
- Come and Get Me by August Norman
- Angel’s Lust by Christina Hoag
- The Mask of Midnight by Laurie Stevens
- The Luminous Dead by Caitlin Starling
- The Unseen by Lisa Towles
- An Evil Among Us by J. E. Holling
- Secrets Never Die by Melinda Leigh
- They All Fall Down by Rachel Howzell Hall
- The Wrong Boy by Cathy Ace
- Save Me From Dangerous Men by S. A. Lelchuk
- Silent Remains by Jerry Kennealy
- Banana Republic: Richie’s Run by Glenn A. Bruce
- The Blameless Dead by Gary Haynes
- Murder-a-Go-Go’s by Holly West (editor)
- The Orange Groove by Bob Bickford
- Skudakumooch by Russ Meidinger
- Titanshade by Dan Stout
- Treason by Rick Campbell
- We All Fall Down by Daniel Kalla
- Rose City by Michael Pool
- Past Presence by Nicole Bross
- Finding Katrina M. by Elisabeth Elo
- The Girl With 39 Graves by Michael Beres
- Hemlock Needle by Keenan Powell
- The Secrets that Lie Within by Elisabeth Rose
- The Maltese Jordans by Seth Harwood
- The Ghost Manuscript by Kris Frieswick
- Westfarrow Island by Paul A. Barra
- A Room Full of Night by T. R. Kenneth
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Michael Koryta, Liv Constantine, Jon Land, R. G. Belsky, Kate White, Marcie Rendon, Chris Pavone, Wendy Walker, Timothy Jay Smith, Tom Ryan, Ashley Dyer, Ann Simas, Andrea Bartz, Lane Stone, Emily Carpenter, Jeffrey Siger, Tim O’Mara, Tom Savage, Mark S. Bacon, Elizabeth Heiter, Debra Webb, Meghan Holloway, Rachel Howzell Hall, Sheila Lowe, Laurie Stevens, Juno Rushdan, C. J. Tudor and many more!
Register Today for ConsultFest 2019!
Get instant feedback on your first two pages
or query letter at ThrillerFest XIV!
We’re so excited to add yet another benefit to aspiring writers during ThrillerFest week called ConsultFest! ConsultFest will be available throughout CraftFest and ThrillerFest where attendees can meet for 15 minutes, one-on-one with an industry leading expert. Recruiting the top acquiring editors and agents for this opportunity, writers will get instant feedback on his or her query letter or first two pages of a manuscript.
ThrillerFest XIV: Register Today!
Your ThrillerFest team proudly announces that the 2019 conference, held at the Grand Hyatt, New York City from July 9-13, is open for registration now. Don’t wait! Take advantage of the lowest prices available for the conference. Lock in your price for this great event now.
ThrillerFest XIV will include:
- 2019 ThrillerMaster John Sandford
- 2019 Silver Bullet Award recipient Harlan Coben
- 2018 Silver Bullet Award recipient James Rollins
- 2019 Thriller Legend Margaret Marbury
- 2019 Spotlight Guest Lisa Unger
- 2019 Spotlight Guest Stephen Hunter
ConsultFest: New! One-on-one fifteen minute session with a top acquiring editor or agent to get instant feedback on your query letter or first two pages of your manuscript. The writer will be assigned a time during CraftFest or ThrillerFest. Up to two consultations may be purchased when registering for any package.
ATF Pre-Conference Workshop: Presented by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). Add authenticity to your thrillers! The pre-conference ATF Workshop is a limited attendance event on the day before the main elements of the ThrillerFest conference. Space is limited and has previously sold out quickly. The workshop will be held at the Grand Hyatt.
Master Class: This one-day intensive writing program allows your instructor to focus on your craft and your story. Everyone is welcome, from beginning writers to well-established authors. Teachers for Master Class 2019 include top-selling members of ITW who will work with you in a small class setting. Instructors this year will be Grant Blackwood, David Corbett, Karen Dionne, Robert Dugoni, Steven James, D. P. Lyle, Gayle Lynds, Donald Maass, and F. Paul Wilson. Space is limited, so sign up soon.
CraftFest: Learn the craft of thriller writing from the best in the genre! Hone your thriller writing skills on many topics to provide you with the tools needed to take your writing to the next level. Special feature: CareerFest! Now that you’ve written that sparkling manuscript, where do you go from there? You don’t want to miss it!
PitchFest: Face-to-face pitching with fifty-plus top agents and acquiring editors who are actively looking for new thriller writer clients. Don’t miss this exceptional opportunity. Purchase an admittance package that includes PitchFest.
ThrillerFest: Spotlight guests, extraordinary programming, author book signings, and camaraderie. Includes the ThrillerFest Grand Opening Reception on Thursday evening, July 11th.
Thriller Awards Banquet: John Sandford will receive his 2019 ThrillerMaster Lifetime Achievement award. 2018 Silver Bullet Award James Rollins will present the 2019 Silver Bullet Award to Harlan Coben. Margaret Marbury will receive the 2019 Thriller Legend Award. All Thriller Award Winners will be announced. Fun, entertainment, and before and after cocktail parties!
Conference elements are priced flexibly to allow you more choices to fit your pocketbook and tailor your experience as you wish. When combining several events, you’ll receive a discount off individual item prices. Early Bird prices are the lowest available, so don’t wait!
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for this month. You won’t want to miss it!
April 1 – 7: “How do you write your first draft, type it or in long hand?”
April 8 – 14: “What are the advantages or drawbacks of setting a novel around a holiday?”
April 15 – 21: NO ROUNDTABLE – EASTER
April 22 – 28: “Does character-driven novels mean plots should be simpler or more complex?”
April 29 – May 5: “Writers strive for unusual methods of murder. Do writers try too hard and, if not, what are some of the most memorable?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J.H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!
The NEW Big Thrill Book Giveaway
Congratulations to Denise P., Joanne E. and Annette S. for winning March’s New The Big Thrill Book Giveaway!
Denise, Joanne and Annette will each receive 10 signed thrillers from ITW members!
You could be April’s winner! On April 15 we will choose 2 more lucky winners to receive 10 signed books each!
But you have to enter to have a chance to win.
Current and new subscribers welcome.
CLICK HERE to enter our next Big Thrill Giveaway. You could be our next winner!