Read the stories that were in the March edition of The Big Thrill.
Struggling to decide on your next read? You’re in luck! The March issue of The Big Thrill features interviews with Max Allan Collins, Steve Berry, E. A. Aymar, Brad Parks and 30 other thrilling writers of mystery and suspense, all sharing insight into their latest release. Plus, Dawn Ius takes a look at what’s driving the resurgence of locked-room mysteries, Neil Nyren gets the scoop on a chilling debut from Samantha Downing, and Harriet Tyce delivers a bloody good thriller from across the pond.
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines: Max Allan Collins by Alex Segura
- Trend: Unlocking the Allure of Locked Room Thrillers by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: Steve Berry by R. G. Belsky
- Up Close: Heather Graham by J. H. Bográn
- Up Close: Cara Robertson by Dawn Ius
- Africa Scene: Peter Church by Michael Sears
- On the Cover: Brad Parks by Adam Meyer
- On the Cover: E. A. Aymar by Wendy Tyson
- On the Cover: Eileen Cook by Dawn Ius
- BookTrib Spotlight: Samantha Downing by Neil Nyren
- International Thrills: Harriet Tyce by Dawn Ius
- Before She Knew Him by Peter Swanson
- Dragonfly by Tom Lowe
- Unleashed by Jacob Stone
- End of the Lie by Diana Rodriguez Wallach
- Guillotine by Paul Heatley
- Only When I Sleep by E. V. Lind
- Open Carry by Marc Cameron
- Exploring Dark Short Fiction #3: A Primer to Nisi Shawl by Eric J. Guignard (editor)
- Sophie Last Seen by Marlene Adelstein
- Lizzie’s Lullaby by Lono Waiwaiole
- Last Night by Karen Ellis
- Missing Daughter by Rick Mofina
- After You’ve Gone by Kay Kendall
- And Every Word is True by Gary McAvoy
- Advance to the Rear by Desiree Holt
- Hipster Death Rattle by Richie Narvaez
- House on Fire by Bonnie Kistler
- The Rigel Affair by L. M. Hedrick
- Where Angels Fear by D. K. Hood
- Dead of Winter by Annelise Ryan
- The Extractor – Mission: Arctic by J. T. Brannan
- Dead of Winter by Sherry Knowlton
- Bridge to Burn by Rachel Amphlett
- Pop the Clutch: Thrilling Tales of Rockabilly, Monsters, and Hot Rod Horror by Eric J. Guignard
- When It’s Murder by C. M. Okonkwo
- The Lonely Grave by Keith Dixon
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Christopher Reich, Rachel Caine, Terry Shames, Carla Buckley, Greg Isles, Vanessa Savage, Melinda Leigh, Rachel Howzell Hall, J. E. Holling, Lynn Cahoon, Laurie Stevens, Christina Hoag, Cathy Ace, Caitlin Starling, August Norman, Lisa Towles, S. A. Lelchuck, Daniel Kalla, Jerry Kennealy, Holly West (editor), Michael Pool, Elisabeth Elo, Nicole Bross, Keenan Powell, Paul A. Barra, Rick Campbell and many more!
Online Thriller School Starts March 25!
Plus a Bonus Learn-to-Pitch Session!
Join Steve Berry, Grant Blackwood, F. Paul Wilson, Hank Phillippi Ryan,
David Corbett, Gayle Lynds, James Scott Bell and Kathleen Antrim.
In this eight-week program, which begins March 25, 2019 the craft of thriller writing will be front and center. Each instructor will teach an aspect of craft though a podcast, written materials that include further reading and study suggestions, and an entire week of on-line Q&A with the registered students. The goal is simple: To make each student a better writer.
Attendance is limited, and we sold out last year, so register today!
Register Today for Master Class 2019!
Take your writing and storytelling to the next level at Master Class 2019.
Join our stellar group of teachers on Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at ITW’s Master Class, a hands-on workshop for writers of all levels. Attendees submit the first 10 pages of their manuscript for critiquing. You’ll receive helpful feedback on how to take your writing to the next level—and you’ll spend time under the tutelage of one of our phenomenal instructors. It’s an intense but extremely helpful day. Each class, which is limited to 10 students, will allow you to work with a bestselling author on your manuscript in progress.
And of course we will again have our popular Best First Sentence Contest. So get to work on your opening line.
ThrillerFest XIV: Registration is Open!
Your ThrillerFest team proudly announces that the 2019 conference, held at the Grand Hyatt, New York City from July 9-13, is open for registration now. Don’t wait! Take advantage of the lowest prices available for the conference. Lock in your price for this great event now.
ThrillerFest XIV will include:
- 2019 ThrillerMaster John Sandford
- 2019 Silver Bullet Award recipient Harlan Coben
- 2018 Silver Bullet Award recipient James Rollins
- 2019 Thriller Legend Margaret Marbury
- 2019 Spotlight Guest Lisa Unger
- 2019 Spotlight Guest Stephen Hunter
ConsultFest: New! One-on-one fifteen minute session with a top acquiring editor or agent to get instant feedback on your query letter or first two pages of your manuscript. The writer will be assigned a time during CraftFest or ThrillerFest. Up to two consultations may be purchased when registering for any package.
ATF Pre-Conference Workshop: Presented by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). Add authenticity to your thrillers! The pre-conference ATF Workshop is a limited attendance event on the day before the main elements of the ThrillerFest conference. Space is limited and has previously sold out quickly. The workshop will be held at the Grand Hyatt.
Master Class: This one-day intensive writing program allows your instructor to focus on your craft and your story. Everyone is welcome, from beginning writers to well-established authors. Teachers for Master Class 2019 include top-selling members of ITW who will work with you in a small class setting. Instructors this year will be Grant Blackwood, David Corbett, Karen Dionne, Robert Dugoni, Steven James, D. P. Lyle, Gayle Lynds, Donald Maass, and F. Paul Wilson. Space is limited, so sign up soon.
CraftFest: Learn the craft of thriller writing from the best in the genre! Hone your thriller writing skills on many topics to provide you with the tools needed to take your writing to the next level. Special feature: CareerFest! Now that you’ve written that sparkling manuscript, where do you go from there? You don’t want to miss it!
PitchFest: Face-to-face pitching with fifty-plus top agents and acquiring editors who are actively looking for new thriller writer clients. Don’t miss this exceptional opportunity. Purchase an admittance package that includes PitchFest.
ThrillerFest: Spotlight guests, extraordinary programming, author book signings, and camaraderie. Includes the ThrillerFest Grand Opening Reception on Thursday evening, July 11th.
Thriller Awards Banquet: John Sandford will receive his 2019 ThrillerMaster Lifetime Achievement award. 2018 Silver Bullet Award James Rollins will present the 2019 Silver Bullet Award to Harlan Coben. Margaret Marbury will receive the 2019 Thriller Legend Award. All Thriller Award Winners will be announced. Fun, entertainment, and before and after cocktail parties!
Conference elements are priced flexibly to allow you more choices to fit your pocketbook and tailor your experience as you wish. When combining several events, you’ll receive a discount off individual item prices. Early Bird prices are the lowest available, so don’t wait!
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for this month. You won’t want to miss it!
March 4 – 10: “The first chapter is usually the hardest to write. How do you prepare to start a new book?”
March 11 – 17: “What books are next to you when you write? Dictionaries, editing, or nothing writing-related.”
March 18 – 24: “What was the big lesson that awaited you after you completed your last novel?”
March 25 – 31: “The Holocaust during World War II is a recurring theme in books, why do you think we’re always returning to that era in books, movies or stories in general?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J.H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!
The NEW Big Thrill Book Giveaway
Congratulations to Bill H. and Marianne W. for winning February’s New The Big Thrill Book Giveaway! Bill and Marianne will each receive 10 signed thrillers from ITW members!
You could be March’s winner! On March 15 we will choose 3 more lucky winners to receive 10 signed books each!
But you have to enter to have a chance to win.
Current and new subscribers welcome.
The Neighbors by Hannah Mary McKinnon
The Divine Affliction by Robert M. Fleisher
Support Your Local Pug by Lane Stone
Tribal Blood by Jenna Kernan
Implant: A Gardener and Reilly Crime Thriller by Ray Clark
CLICK HERE to enter our next Big Thrill Giveaway. You could be our next winner!
- The Big Thrill Recommends: DEATH AND THE SISTERS by Heather Redmond - September 21, 2023
- The Big Thrill Recommends: THE GIRL IN THE EAGLE’S TALONS by Karin Smirnoff - September 21, 2023
- All that Glisters with Topper Jones - September 21, 2023