Read the stories that were in the February edition of The Big Thrill.
February is the month of romance and we’re thrilled to give you a line-up sure to capture your heart. Romantic suspense queen Kat Martin graces our cover and shares insight about the first book in a brand new series, while Elizabeth Goddard talks about how her books have stood the test of time. Dawn Ius takes a look at what’s trending in the romantic suspense category, plus we’ve got up close interviews with Christopher Rice, James Grippando, Gregg Hurwitz and 25 other authors we know you’ll love.
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines: Kat Martin by Jaden Terrell
- Trend: Romancing the Genre by Dawn Ius
- On the Cover: Allen Eskens by E. M. Powell
- On the Cover: Elizabeth Goddard by Wendy Tyson
- On the Cover: Christopher Rice by April Snellings
- John D. MacDonald and Me by Jack Siler
- BookTrib Spotlight: Alex Michaelides by Neil Nyren
- Up Close: Sophie Hannah by K. L. Romo
- Up Close: Brad Taylor by Austin Camacho
- Up Close: Gregg Hurwitz by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: James Grippando by Robert Rotstein
- Up Close: Charles Todd by Alison McMahan
- Online Thriller School: Learn From the Masters by Dawn Ius
- Hell Chose Me by Angel Luis Colón
- A Knife’s Edge by Eliot Parker
- Deep Background by Rick Treon
- Killer Thriller by Lee Goldberg
- The Playing Card Killer by Russell James
- The Line Between by Tosca Lee
- Trigger by David Swinson
- Miracles (A Father Jake Austin Mystery) by John A. Vanek
- Sins of the Sister by Zari Reede
- Ten-Seven by Dana King
- Freedom Road by William Lashner
- The Thousand Dollar Christmas by J. T. Brannan
- One Fatal Mistake by Tom Hunt
- My Darkest Prayer by S. A. Cosby
- Past Due for Murder by Victoria Gilbert
- Remember Me by D. E. White
- Dangerous Alliance by Randall Krzak
- Once a Liar by A. F. Brady
- The Stranger Inside by Laura Benedict
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Steve Berry, Heather Graham, Brad Parks, Rick Mofina, E.A. Aymar, Cara Robertson, Max Allan Collins, Eileen Cook, Peter Swanson, Jacob Stone, Diana Rodriguez Wallach, Marc Cameron, Eric J. Guignard, Paul Heatley, Karen Ellis, Annelise Ryan, Bonnie Kistler, Sherry Knowlton, D. K. Hood, Rachel Amphlett and many more!
Online Thriller School!
Plus a Bonus Learn-to-Pitch Session!
Join Steve Berry, Grant Blackwood, F. Paul Wilson, Hank Phillippi Ryan,
David Corbett, Gayle Lynds, James Scott Bell and Kathleen Antrim.
In this eight-week program, which begins March 25, 2019 the craft of thriller writing will be front and center. Each instructor will teach an aspect of craft though a podcast, written materials that include further reading and study suggestions, and an entire week of on-line Q&A with the registered students. The goal is simple: To make each student a better writer.
Attendance is limited, and we sold out last year, so register today!
ThrillerFest XIV: Registration is Open!
Your ThrillerFest team proudly announces that the 2019 conference, held at the Grand Hyatt, New York City from July 9-13, is open for Early Bird Registration now. Don’t wait! Take advantage of the lowest prices available for the conference. Lock in your price for this great event now.
ThrillerFest XIV will include:
- 2019 ThrillerMaster John Sandford
- 2019 Silver Bullet Award recipient Harlan Coben
- 2018 Silver Bullet Award recipient James Rollins
- 2019 Thriller Legend Margaret Marbury
- 2019 Spotlight Guest Lisa Unger
- 2019 Spotlight Guest Stephen Hunter
ConsultFest: New! One-on-one fifteen minute session with a top acquiring editor or agent to get instant feedback on your query letter or first two pages of your manuscript. The writer will be assigned a time during CraftFest or ThrillerFest. Up to two consultations may be purchased when registering for any package.
ATF Pre-Conference Workshop: Presented by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). Add authenticity to your thrillers! The pre-conference ATF Workshop is a limited attendance event on the day before the main elements of the ThrillerFest conference. Space is limited and has previously sold out quickly. The workshop will be held at the Grand Hyatt.
Master Class: This one-day intensive writing program allows your instructor to focus on your craft and your story. Everyone is welcome, from beginning writers to well-established authors. Teachers for Master Class 2019 include top-selling members of ITW who will work with you in a small class setting. Instructors this year will be Grant Blackwood, David Corbett, Karen Dionne, Robert Dugoni, Steven James, D. P. Lyle, Gayle Lynds, Donald Maass, and F. Paul Wilson. Space is limited, so sign up soon.
CraftFest: Learn the craft of thriller writing from the best in the genre! Hone your thriller writing skills on many topics to provide you with the tools needed to take your writing to the next level. Special feature: CareerFest! Now that you’ve written that sparkling manuscript, where do you go from there? You don’t want to miss it!
PitchFest: Face-to-face pitching with fifty-plus top agents and acquiring editors who are actively looking for new thriller writer clients. Don’t miss this exceptional opportunity. Purchase an admittance package that includes PitchFest.
ThrillerFest: Spotlight guests, extraordinary programming, author book signings, and camaraderie. Includes the ThrillerFest Grand Opening Reception on Thursday evening, July 11th.
Thriller Awards Banquet: John Sandford will receive his 2019 ThrillerMaster Lifetime Achievement award. 2018 Silver Bullet Award James Rollins will present the 2019 Silver Bullet Award to Harlan Coben. Margaret Marbury will receive the 2019 Thriller Legend Award. All Thriller Award Winners will be announced. Fun, entertainment, and before and after cocktail parties!
Conference elements are priced flexibly to allow you more choices to fit your pocketbook and tailor your experience as you wish. When combining several events, you’ll receive a discount off individual item prices. Early Bird prices are the lowest available, so don’t wait!
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for this month. You won’t want to miss it!
February 4 – 10: “Research, do you love it or hate it?”
February 11 – 17: NO ROUNDTABLE
February 18 – 24: “Do you remember when you fell in love with the thriller genre?”
February 25 – March 3: “What are the dangers of modeling characters after people you know? When do you resort to this device?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J. H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!
The NEW Big Thrill Book Giveaway
Congratulations to Sandra G. and Laura M. for winning January’s New The Big Thrill Book Giveaway! Sandra and Laura will each receive 10 signed thrillers from ITW members!
You could be February’s winner. On February 15 we will choose 2 more lucky winners to receive 10 signed books each.
But you have to enter to have a chance to win.
Current and new subscribers welcome.
Without Fear by Colonel David Hunt and R. J. Pineiro
Hollywood Homicide by Kellye Garrett
Roses Are Dead My Love by Penny Clover Petersen
Game of the Gods by Jay Schiffman
Low Down Dirty: A Crime Fiction Anthology by Camille Minichino
CLICK HERE to enter our next Big Thrill Giveaway.
You could be this month’s winner!
- The Big Thrill Recommends: DEATH AND THE SISTERS by Heather Redmond - September 21, 2023
- The Big Thrill Recommends: THE GIRL IN THE EAGLE’S TALONS by Karin Smirnoff - September 21, 2023
- All that Glisters with Topper Jones - September 21, 2023