Read the stories that were in the November edition of The Big Thrill.
In this issue, New York Times bestselling author Lee Child takes us back to the past with a new Reacher thriller, C. J. Lyons shares why she loves the dark side of YA, and Sara Paretsky gives insight into her formidable career. In Neil Nyren’s spotlight, he takes a look at Sarah Meuleman’s “unusual” novel and in Africa Scene, Michael Sears interviews Paul Hardisty. Plus, we get the scoop on hot new releases from Wendy Webb, Robert Rotstein, Vicki Delany and 31 others!
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between The Lines: Lee Child by Josie Brown
- Turning Point: C. J. Lyons by Dawn Ius
- Neil Nyren’s Spotlight: Sarah Meuleman
- Up Close: Sara Paretsky by R. G. Belsky
- Up Close: Robert Rotstein by Wendy Tyson
- Up Close: Debra Webb by E. M. Powell
- Up Close: Jeffrey Wilson & Brian Andrews by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: Wendy Webb by Nancy Bilyeau
- Africa Scene: Paul Hardisty by Michael Sears
- A Scandal in Scarlet by Vicki Delany
- The Faithful Spy by Jeffrey Layton
- Beyond the Truth by Bruce Robert Coffin
- High Crimes by Libby Fischer Hellmann
- Predators by Michaelbrent Collings
- The Kneeling Woman by G. A. Chamberlin
- A Deadly Brew by Lynn Cahoon
- Welcome to HolyHell by Math Bird
- Last Gasp by Howard Levine
- The Truth Waits by Susanna Beard
- The Housewife Assassin’s Horrorscope by Josie Brown
- Manuscript for Murder by Jessica Fletcher and Jon Land
- Record Scratch by J. J. Hensley
- Past & Present: A Marketville Mystery by Judy Penz Sheluk
- Too Far Gone by Allison Brennan
- A World of Horror by Eric J. Guignard
- Silent Scream by Karen Harper
- 101 by Tom Pitts
- Pulp According to David Goodis by Jay A. Gertzman
- The Betel Nut Tree Mystery by Ovidia Yu
- Santa Puppy by Lynn Cahoon
- The Disappearance of Maggie Collins by Roger Angle
- Kauai Killer by R. Barri Flowers
- Thieves by Steven Max Russo
- The Nightmarchers by J. Lincoln Fenn
- Dig Your Grave by Steven Cooper
- The Crying Season by D. K. Hood
- In Cold Chocolate by Dorothy St. James
- Splinter City by Shawn Corridan & Gary Waid
- Alice Isn’t Dead by Joseph Fink
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Matt Coyle, Nancy Bilyeau, Bryan Gruley, Lisa Preston, Leanna Renee Hieber, Carole Nelson Douglas, Tess Makovesky, John Wayne Falbey, Dan Mayer, Ken Kuhlken, Lee Gimenez, Frank Zafiro and Jim Wilsky, John E. Stith, Josie Brown, Beau Johnson, Les Edgerton, R. J. Pineiro, Carol Potenza, Lynn Cahoon, Joe Clifford, Marty Wingate, Uri Norwich, Sarah Simpson and many more!
Online Career School!
Have you signed a book deal and are now anxiously awaiting publication? Do book tours and social media expectations overwhelm you? Are you a frustrated author looking for discovery? Do you feel like you need better tools to help you with the “business of writing”?
If you can answer yes to any of these questions, then this eight-week online course is perfect for you! Let the experts teach you step-by-step how to succeed in publishing!
ThrillerFest XIV: Registration is Open!
Your ThrillerFest team proudly announces that the 2019 conference, held at the Grand Hyatt, New York City from July 9-13, is open for Early Bird Registration now. Don’t wait! Take advantage of the lowest prices available for the conference. Lock in your price for this great event now.
ThrillerFest XIV will include:
- 2019 ThrillerMaster John Sandford
- 2019 Silver Bullet Award recipient Harlan Coben
- 2018 Silver Bullet Award recipient James Rollins
- 2019 Thriller Legend Margaret Marbury
- 2019 Spotlight Guest Lisa Unger
ConsultFest: New! One-on-one fifteen minute session with a top acquiring editor or agent to get instant feedback on your query letter or first two pages of your manuscript. The writer will be assigned a time during CraftFest or ThrillerFest. Up to two consultations may be purchased when registering for any package.
ATF Pre-Conference Workshop: Presented by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). Add authenticity to your thrillers! The pre-conference ATF Workshop is a limited attendance event on the day before the main elements of the ThrillerFest conference. Space is limited and has previously sold out quickly. The workshop will be held at the Grand Hyatt.
Master Class: This one-day intensive writing program allows your instructor to focus on your craft and your story. Everyone is welcome, from beginning writers to well-established authors. Teachers for Master Class 2019 include top-selling members of ITW who will work with you in a small class setting. Instructors this year will be Grant Blackwood, David Corbett, Karen Dionne, Robert Dugoni, Steven James, D.P. Lyle, Gayle Lynds, Donald Maass, and F. Paul Wilson. Space is limited, so sign up soon.
CraftFest: Learn the craft of thriller writing from the best in the genre! Hone your thriller writing skills on many topics to provide you with the tools needed to take your writing to the next level. Special feature: CareerFest! Now that you’ve written that sparkling manuscript, where do you go from there? You don’t want to miss it!
PitchFest: Face-to-face pitching with fifty-plus top agents and acquiring editors who are actively looking for new thriller writer clients. Don’t miss this exceptional opportunity. Purchase an admittance package that includes PitchFest.
ThrillerFest: Spotlight guests, extraordinary programming, author book signings, and camaraderie. Includes the ThrillerFest Grand Opening Reception on Thursday evening, July 11th.
Thriller Awards Banquet: John Sandford will receive his 2019 ThrillerMaster Lifetime Achievement award. 2018 Silver Bullet Award James Rollins will present the 2019 Silver Bullet Award to Harlan Coben. Margaret Marbury will receive the 2019 Thriller Legend Award. All Thriller Award Winners will be announced. Fun, entertainment, and before and after cocktail parties!
Conference elements are priced flexibly to allow you more choices to fit your pocketbook and tailor your experience as you wish. When combining several events, you’ll receive a discount off individual item prices. Early Bird prices are the lowest available, so don’t wait!
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for this month. You won’t want to miss it!
November 5 – 11: “Readers seem to expect plot twists and surprises told inside a familiar story structure. How do you reconcile this?”
November 12 – 18: “Are book signings profitable to a writer’s career?”
November 19 – 25: THANKSGIVING WEEK. NO ROUNDTABLE.
November 26 – December 2: “Which comes first, the reader or the story?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J. H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!
The NEW Big Thrill Book Giveaway
On November 15th, ITW will randomly select 2 Big Thrill subscribers to win 10 signed books each! But you have to enter to have a chance to win.
Current and new subscribers welcome.
CLICK HERE to enter our next Big Thrill Giveaway.
You could be this month’s winner!
- The Big Thrill Recommends: DEATH AND THE SISTERS by Heather Redmond - September 21, 2023
- The Big Thrill Recommends: THE GIRL IN THE EAGLE’S TALONS by Karin Smirnoff - September 21, 2023
- All that Glisters with Topper Jones - September 21, 2023