Read the stories that were in the December edition of The Big Thrill.
In this month’s issue, cover subject Robert Crais drives home the essential wisdom of writing what inspires you. Mary Higgins Clark tells whether she has actually been writing domestic thrillers all this time, and Jon Land and D. P. Lyle share insights into their craft.
We have some hugely entertaining columns this month. In “Trend Report,” Dawn Ius covers the State of the Cozy. R. G. Belsky takes us on an excursion to the hottest crime scenes of New York City in “Author Guided Tour.” We hear from one of Chile’s most beloved writers, Ramón Díaz Eterovic, in “International Thrills,” and from South Africa’s highly touted Deon Meyer in “Africa Scene.”
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines: Robert Crais by Alex Segura
- Trend Report: The State of the Cozy by Dawn Ius
- Author Guided Tour: R. G. Belsky on the Famous Crime Scenes of NYC
- Up Close: Mary Higgins Clark by Nancy Bilyeau
- Up Close: D. P. Lyle by R. G. Belsky
- Up Close: Wendy Tyson by E. M. Powell
- Up Close: Jon Land by April Snelling
- Up Close: Con Lehane by J. H. Bográn
- Africa Scene: Deon Meyer by Michael Sears
- International Thrills: Ramón Díaz Eterovic by Layton Green
- Of Murder and Men by Lynn Cahoon
- Texas Christmas Defender by Elizabeth Goddard
- Cthulhu Blues by Douglas Wynne
- Risky Redemption by Marissa Garner
- Down to No Good by Earl Javorsky
- Falling Stars by Tim Tigner
- Writing and Selling Short Stories by Windy Lynn Harris
- FBI Code Red by Lee Gimenez
- The Dispensable Wife by A B Plum
- The Sound of Murder by Ines Eberl
- The Hapsburg Variation by Bill Rapp
- Hell to Pay by Rachel Amphlett
- Etched in Tears by Cheryl Hollon
- Metabyte by Cat Connor
- Gun Kiss by Khaled Talib
- Accidental Outlaws by Matt Phillips
- Meat City on Fire by Angel Luis Colón
- Skull Garden by Gloria Ferris
- Beacon Hill by Colin Campbell
- Blood Run by Jamie Freveletti
- Killman Creek by Rachel Caine
- Vineyard Prey by Carole Price
- A Place in the Wind by Suzanne Chazin
- Cold Malice by Toni Anderson
- Her Rocky Mountain Hero by Jennifer D. Bokal
- A Murder For The Books by Victoria Gilbert
- Scorpio: The Sign Behind the Crime by Ronnie Allen
- Sacrificed by Channette Paul
- 16 Millimeters by Larissa Reinhart
- Heaven’s Crooked Finger by Hank Early
- Wild Card by Luke Murphy
- The Eterna Solution by Leanna Renee Hieber
- Bury The Past by James L’Etoile
- The House that Adelia Built by Mya O´Malley
- Blood Truth by Matt Coyle
- Outside the Wire by Patricia Smiley
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child, James Rollins, Thomas Perry, Brad Taylor, A. J. Tata, Bryan Robinson, Laura Joh Rowland, Lynette Eason, Mark Pryor, William Nikkel, Micki Browning, Sheila Lowe, David C. Dawson, T. R. Ragan, Patricia McLinn, Karen Ellis, F. Paul Wilson, Terry Shames, Susan Furlong, Ronald S. Barak, David Housewright, Harry Dolan and many more!
ThrillerFest XIII: Advance Registration is Open!
• 2018 ThrillerMaster George R.R. Martin
• 2018 Silver Bullet Award James Rollins
• 2017 ThrillerMaster Lee Child
• 2017 Silver Bullet Award Lisa Gardner
• More spotlight guests will be announced soon – stay tuned!
ATF Pre-Conference Workshop: Presented by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). Add authenticity to your thrillers! The pre-conference ATF Workshop is a limited attendance event on the day before the main elements of the ThrillerFest conference. The cost is $150 which includes morning coffee service. Lunch is on your own during a 1.5 hour break. Space is limited and has previously sold out quickly. The workshop will be held at the Grand Hyatt.
Master CraftFest: This one-day intensive writing program allows your instructor to focus on your craft and your story. Everyone is welcome, from beginning writers to well-established authors. Teachers for Master CraftFest 2018 include top-selling members of ITW who will work with you in a small class setting. Instructors this year will be Steve Berry, Gayle Lynds, Grant Blackwood, F. Paul Wilson, Don Maass, Steven James, DP Lyle, and others. Space is limited, so sign up soon.
CraftFest: Learn the craft of thriller writing from the best in the genre! Hone your thriller writing skills on many topics to provide you with the tools needed to take your writing to the next level. Special feature: CareerFest! Now that you’ve written that sparkling manuscript, where do you go from there? You don’t want to miss it!
PitchFest: You asked for a time dedicated to pitching your projects to agents, editors, publishers, and producers – we listened! Face-to-face pitching with top agents who are actively looking for new thriller writer clients. Don’t miss this exceptional opportunity. Purchase an admittance package that includes PitchFest.
ThrillerFest: Spotlight guests, extraordinary programming, author book signings, and camaraderie. Includes the ThrillerFest Grand Opening Reception on Thursday evening.
Thriller Award Banquet: 2018 ThrillerMaster George R.R. Martin will receive his ThrillerMaster Lifetime Achievement award, introduced by 2017 ThrillerMaster Lee Child. 2017 Silver Bullet Award Lisa Gardner will present the 2018 Silver Bullet Award to James Rollins. All Thriller Award Winners will be announced. Fun, entertainment, and before and after cocktail parties!
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for December. You won’t want to miss it!
December 4 – 10: “Are author blurbs today as effective today as they used to be?”
December 11 – 17: “What´s your favorite book or movie that combines thrillers with the Holidays?”
December 18 – 24: “As an author, what´s on your new year´s resolution list?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J.H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!
Congratulations to Trent Wills, the winner of this month’s BIG THRILL giveaway. Trent will receive an assortment of signed thrillers including The Cuban Affair by Nelson DeMille, Breathe by Mike Brogan, Stripped Bare by Shannon Baker, Guiltless by Mollie Blake, The Deep Dark Descending by Allen Eskens, Her Rocky Mountain Hero by Jennifer D. Bokal, Texas Christmas Defender by Elizabeth Goddard.
All subscribers to The Big Thrill magazine are automatically eligible for the monthly drawing. CLICK HERE to subscribe to The Big Thrill.
- The January 2021 Edition of The Big Thrill is Here! - December 31, 2020
- BookTrib Spotlight: Ashley Audrain - December 31, 2020
- AudioFile Spotlight: Favorite Crime Fiction Sidekicks - December 31, 2020