Prostitution—often referred to as “the world’s oldest profession”—is alive and well in the modern world. In the United States alone, an estimated $14 billion is generated in annual revenue from the sex-for-sale industry. Worldwide revenue from the commercial sex trade industry is estimated at more than $100 billion each year.
This candid book reveals the enormity of the commercial sex-for-sale industry in the modern era.
For those without direct experience with the seamy, real-life world of prostitution, it can be easy to accept the glamorized depictions of the sex-for-sale industry as it is often portrayed in fiction and Hollywood or sensationalized in the media. In reality, the business of sexual exploitation such as prostitution, sex trafficking, pornography, and sex tourism is far from attractive.
This latest book from literary criminologist R. Barri Flowers updates the subject of prostitution for the 21st century, explaining why the commercial sex trade industry continues to flourish and exploring its proliferation in the digital world of the Internet, cell phones, and text messaging. The grim ramifications of prostitution—such as victimization, substance abuse, HIV, arrest, or even death—are addressed. Careful attention has also been paid to the various individuals involved: those who are prostituted (female and male), customers, pimps, traffickers, and other players in the sex trade.
• Provides factual information regarding a topic that is of great interest to general readers in light of recent prostitution-related scandals, prostitution stings, and serial killers of prostitutes
• Includes a complete bibliography of sources used in researching the commercial sex trade industry and sexual exploitation of women and children
• Examines prostitution in the digital age with emphasis on use of the Internet in the proliferation of the commercial sex trade industry
• Discusses the connection between human trafficking and commercial sexual exploitation within the United States and abroad
• Explores high-end prostitution in depth, including super-elite sex workers, escorts, and brothel prostitutes
• Probes the realities of teenage prostitution and sexual exploitation
• Addresses recent scandals involving prostitutes and prominent figures
“Selected as one of Suspense Magazine’s Best of 2011 books.” — John Raab, CEO/Publisher on THE SEX SLAVE MURDERS
“A gripping account of the murders committed by husband-and-wife serial killers Gerald and Charlene Gallego.” –Gary C. King, author of Blood Lust on THE SEX SLAVE MURDERS
“R. Barri Flowers always relates an engrossing story.” –Robert Scott, author of The Last Time We Saw Her on THE SEX SLAVE MURDERS
“A model of exposition not to be missed by anyone interested in the annals of American criminal behavior.” –Jim Ingraham, Ph.D., professor emeritus of American Studies at Bryant University on THE PICKAXE KILLERS
“Striking, well-written tales sparkle in this ocean of murder.” –Diane Fanning, author of Mommy’s Little Girl on MASTERS OF TRUE CRIME
“Exhaustively researched, each storyteller brings their own unique prose to these pages, creating what will soon become a true crime classic.” –Kevin M. Sullivan, author of The Bundy Murders on MASTERS OF TUE CRIME
“This book should be a mandatory purchase and read for any true-crime buff.” —Steven A. Egger, PhD, associate professor on MASTERS OF TRUE CRIME
“Incredible cases, psychopathic killers, unwitting victims, along with the very best writers, make for an exciting, no-holds-barred, soon-to-be true-crime classic.” —Dan Zupansky, host of True Murder on MASTERS OF TRUE CRIME
“An indispensable sourcebook for anyone interested in American homicide, from law-enforcement professionals to armchair criminologists.” —Harold Schechter, author of The Serial Killer Files on THE DYNAMICS OF MURDER
“Vivid case studies of murder to complement this well researched criminology text.”—Scott Bonn, Ph.D., criminology professor on THE DYNAMICS OF MURDER
R. Barri Flowers is an award winning criminologist and bestselling author of nearly seventy books, including true crime, criminology, thriller fiction, and young adult mysteries. True crime titles include THE SEX SLAVE MURDERS, THE PICKAXE KILLERS, SERIAL KILLER COUPLES, MURDER AT THE PENCIL FACTORY, and a highly praised anthology, MASTERS OF TRUE CRIME.
Fiction titles include thrillers, BEFORE HE KILLS AGAIN, DARK STREETS OF WHITECHAPEL, MURDER IN MAUI, MURDER IN HONOLULU, SEDUCED TO KILL IN KAUAI, STATE’S EVIDENCE, and PERSUASIVE EVIDENCE.
Follow R. Barri Flowers on Twitter (@RBarriFlowers), Facebook, Wikipedia, LinkedIn, Pinterest, YouTube, Goodreads, LibraryThing, MySpace, andwww.rbarriflowers.com.
- The September 2021 Edition of The Big Thrill is Here! - August 31, 2021
- Up Close: Matthew FitzSimmons - August 31, 2021
- AudioFile Spotlight: Talking with Author Louise Penny - August 31, 2021