Read the stories that were in the November edition of The Big Thrill.
A successful thriller author can be counted on to show grace under pressure, and we have a trio of exceptionally graceful writers in our cover subject: Linwood Barclay, Kate White, and Lee Child. This is an issue filled with stories on compelling authors with new books, such as Michael Stanley, Jake Needham, and Layton Green. In this month’s “Trend Alert,” Dawn Ius tackles the private-detective novel—what’s the latest in the world of sleuths? Joe Clifford interviews Danny Gardner in “Debut Spotlight”; Michael Sears talks to Martin Steyn in “African Scene”; and David Swatling catches up with France’s Johana Gustawsson in “International Thrills.”
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines: Linwood Barclay by E. M. Powell
- Trend Alert: What’s Next for the Detective Novel? by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: Kate White by A. J. Colucci
- Up Close: Lee Child by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: Layton Green by R. G. Belsky
- Up Close: Michael Stanley by J. H. Bográn
- Debut Author Spotlight: Danny Gardner by Joe Clifford
- Africa Scene: Martin Steyn by Michael Sears
- International Thrills: Johana Gustawsson by David Swatling
- Killing John the Baptist by Matthew Peters
- Ryan Quinn and the Lion’s Claw by Ron McGee
- Merlin at War by Mark Ellis
- Headhunter by Michael Slade
- A Conspiracy of Ravens by Terrence McCauley
- Broken Chords by Jessica Bayliss
- Desert Kill Switch by Mark S. Bacon
- Don’t Get Caught by Jake Needham
- Stay Calm and Collie On by Lane Stone
- Next of Kin by James Tucker
- Pulse by Felix Francis
- Hunger Moon by Alexandra Sokoloff
- Death’s Silent Judgement by Anne Coates
- Come Home by Patricia Gussin
- Habitat for Human Remains by Scott A. Lerner
- Bones to Pick by Linda Lovely
- Best-Laid Plants by Marty Wingate
- The Eulogist by Jeffrey B. Burton
- The Missing by C. L. Taylor
- Velvet on a Tuesday Afternoon by Clive Rosengren
- Protocol by Kathleen Valenti
- Down to No Good by Earl Javorsky
- Kingsman: the Golden Circle by Tim Waggoner
- Dead Stop by Barbara Nickless
- Breathe by Mike Brogan
- Storm’s Edge by Tony Healey
- JackHammer by Paul Dale Anderson
- Dark Signal by Shannon Baker
- Shakedown by Martin Bodenham
- Cut. Print. Kill. by Robert D. Kidera
- Last Call by Phyllis Smallman
- Cthulhu Blues by Douglas Wynne
- The Woman in the Camphor Trunk by Jennifer Kincheloe
- Killing State by Judith O’Reilly
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Con Lehane, Robert Crais, D.P. Lyle, Wendy Tyson, Jon Land, Lynn Cahoon, Elizabeth Goddard, Marissa Garner, Earl Javorsky, Tim Tigner, Windy Lynn Harris, Lee Gimenez, Cheryl Hollon, Cat Connor, Khaled Talib, Matt Phillips, Angel Luis Colón, Gloria Ferris, Colin Campbell, Jamie Freveletti, Toni Anderson, Jennifer Kincheloe, Mya O´Malley, Matt Coyle, Patricia Smiley and many more!
ThrillerFest XIII: Advance Registration is Open!
• 2018 ThrillerMaster George R.R. Martin
• 2018 Silver Bullet Award James Rollins
• 2017 ThrillerMaster Lee Child
• 2017 Silver Bullet Award Lisa Gardner
• More spotlight guests will be announced soon – stay tuned!
ATF Pre-Conference Workshop: Presented by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). Add authenticity to your thrillers! The pre-conference ATF Workshop is a limited attendance event on the day before the main elements of the ThrillerFest conference. The cost is $150 which includes morning coffee service. Lunch is on your own during a 1.5 hour break. Space is limited and has previously sold out quickly. The workshop will be held at the Grand Hyatt.
Master CraftFest: This one-day intensive writing program allows your instructor to focus on your craft and your story. Everyone is welcome, from beginning writers to well-established authors. Teachers for Master CraftFest 2018 include top-selling members of ITW who will work with you in a small class setting. Instructors this year will be Steve Berry, Gayle Lynds, Grant Blackwood, F. Paul Wilson, Don Maass, Steven James, DP Lyle, and others. Space is limited, so sign up soon.
CraftFest: Learn the craft of thriller writing from the best in the genre! Hone your thriller writing skills on many topics to provide you with the tools needed to take your writing to the next level. Special feature: CareerFest! Now that you’ve written that sparkling manuscript, where do you go from there? You don’t want to miss it!
PitchFest: You asked for a time dedicated to pitching your projects to agents, editors, publishers, and producers – we listened! Face-to-face pitching with top agents who are actively looking for new thriller writer clients. Don’t miss this exceptional opportunity. Purchase an admittance package that includes PitchFest.
ThrillerFest: Spotlight guests, extraordinary programming, author book signings, and camaraderie. Includes the ThrillerFest Grand Opening Reception on Thursday evening.
Thriller Award Banquet: 2018 ThrillerMaster George R.R. Martin will receive his ThrillerMaster Lifetime Achievement award, introduced by 2017 ThrillerMaster Lee Child. 2017 Silver Bullet Award Lisa Gardner will present the 2018 Silver Bullet Award to James Rollins. All Thriller Award Winners will be announced. Fun, entertainment, and before and after cocktail parties!
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for November. You won’t want to miss it!
November 6 – 12: “Is tone linked more to the author’s or the character’s attitude?”
November 13 – 19: “Can holidays like Thanksgiving be effectively used as the backdrop in thrillers?”
November 20 – 26: THANKSGIVING – NO ROUNDTABLE
November 27 – December 3: “Can an infectious disease take the role of an antagonist in a thriller?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J.H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!
Interested in becoming a member of the International Thriller Writers? ITW offers Active and Associate memberships.
Latest posts by ITW (see all)
- July 15 – 21: “What was the most difficult thing to research in your last novel?” - July 14, 2019
- The July 2019 Edition of The Big Thrill is Here! - June 30, 2019
- ITW Award Nominees: Best Short Story - June 30, 2019