There are 4.7 billion searchable sites that make up 10% of the web; the other 90% is dedicated to the “Dark Web.” Within that environment there is a thriving economy where everything is for sale: Sex, Armies and Code for hire. Well-known companies buy and sell for governments and NGO’s (non-governmental organizations). They appear as benign legal boutique companies and consultants, but their true purpose is to be the middlemen/cyber lynchpins for these illicit goods and services.
Isabella Nunez owns a computer firm in Brooklyn with her lover Jacob Costa. Accepting her infertility, they have a blue nose pit bull called Justice as their “child” and live simple lives as techy nerds. Isabella’s idyllic life is shattered when several days after her lover’s ex-wife, Simone Johns’, reported death, Simone sends Jacob an email to come save their child, which he didn’t know they had.
SANCTUARY OF LIES author Chad Bishop took time out of his busy schedule to discuss his latest thriller with The Big Thrill:
What do you hope readers will take away from this book?
I hope people understand that technology is everywhere. I want them to see women as an integral part of the technology field as well.
How does this book make a contribution to the genre?
SANCTUARY OF LIES contributes to the genre by exposing a new form of high action. As we become more technologically advanced, action will include viruses, intelligent code and cyber espionage pitted against lawmakers and everyday people. This series shows just how integrated technology is in our social issues and everyday pursuits.
Was there anything new you discovered, or that surprised you, as you wrote this book?
What I discovered was a universal condition I find in all fields: old school and new school. While everyone in the book is competent in their field, there are some characters who can build wifi from Pringles cans and others who know where to order the latest parts to disrupt magnetic doors.
No spoilers, but what can you tell us about your book that we won’t find in the jacket copy or the PR material?
Isabella Nunez was a hacker for sale at one point in her life. Both of the main characters come from disadvantaged backgrounds.
What authors or books have influenced your career as a writer, and why?
It’s hard to pinpoint one author. I read across genres and I’m always learning to improve my craft. My foundations are layered with R.A. Salvatore, Orson Scott Card. The structure of how I write is learned from studying Aristotle’s the Poetics and looking at play writers like Aaron Sorkin and David Mamet. Finally, for my wordsmithing, I’m constantly learning from Jullet Mariller, Terry Goodkind, Charles Dickens and Jacqueline Carey.
Chad Bishop is a writer who dreamed that others would be able to see the stories in his head. Being a writer is a dream come true and a compulsion that has to be exercised.
To learn more about Chad, please visit his website.
- The September 2021 Edition of The Big Thrill is Here! - August 31, 2021
- Up Close: Matthew FitzSimmons - August 31, 2021
- AudioFile Spotlight: Talking with Author Louise Penny - August 31, 2021