Read the stories that were in the January edition of The Big Thrill.
Happy New Year! Our January issue takes you up close and personal with bestselling authors like J. T. Ellison, Lee Goldberg, Iris and Roy Johansen, and Chris Hauty. Plus, Austin Camacho goes Between the Lines with Brad Taylor, Dawn Ius takes a look at upcoming thriller trends for 2020, and Tim Maleeny shares why it took more than 10 years for him to publish a new Cape Weathers mystery. It’s a thrilling issue to kick off a new decade—and it’s live now!
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines: Brad Taylor by Austin Camacho
- Trending: Thriller 2020 Preview by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: Iris & Roy Johansen by Jaden Terrel
- Up Close: J. T. Ellison by K. L. Romo
- On the Cover: Tim Maleeny by Dawn Ius
- Booktrib Spotlight: Liz Moore by Neil Nyren
- Africa Scene: Kwei Quartey by Michael Sears
- Up Close: Lee Goldberg by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: Nancy Bilyeau by Dawn Ius
- On the Cover: Chris Hauty by K. L. Romo
- BookTrib Spotlight: Jeffrey L. Diamond by Jennifer Blankfein
- Career Pursuit: An Interview with Catriona McPherson
- AudioFile Column: 5 Questions with Narrator Michael Kramer
- Purgatory Bay by Bryan Gruley
- Script For Scandal by Renee Patrick
- Scavenger Hunt by Michaelbrent Collings
- The Savage Deeps by Timothy S. Johnston
- Encrypting Maya by Lawrence Kelter
- The Last Sister by Kendra Elliott
- How to Kill Your Friends by Phil Kurthausen
- Out Of Time by Cathi Stoler
- A Twinkle in the Eyes of God by David William Pearce
- Let Justice Descend by Lisa Black
- Collateral Damage by Lynette Eason
- Trouble & Strife: Crime Stories Inspired by Cockney Rhyming Slang by Simon Wood
- The Hollows by Jess Montgomery
- A Mysterious Mix Up by J. C. Kenney
- The Blue Pearl by L. J. Martin
- Revenge in Barcelona by Kathryn Lane
- Toward the Light by Bonnar Spring
- Saltaire Strangler by Benni Chisholm
- A Broken Woman: A Jinx Ballou Novel by Dharma Kelleher
- Stolen Identity by Michael W. Sherer
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Joseph Finder, Robert Dugoni, Allison Brennan, M. J. Rose, Walter Mosley, Mark Greaney, Gregg Hurwitz, Michael Stanley, Bruce Robert Coffin, Joe Ide, C. J. Tudor, Annette Dashofy, James Ziskin, Luanne Rice, Preston & Child, Basil Sands, R. J. Pineiro, Tom Threadgill, Debbie Herbert, Ann Parker, Saralyn Richard, Alan Orloff, Khaled Talib, Jon Bassoff, A. J. Davidson, David Healey and many more!
ITW’s Online Thriller School is Back!
Eight Weeks! Eight Bestselling Authors!
Includes a Bonus Learn-to-Pitch Session!
Join Allison Brennan, Grant Blackwood, Steven James, Peter James,
Raymond Khoury, Hank Phillippi Ryan, Karen Dionne and Kathleen Antrim!
In this eight-week program, which begins March 23, 2020, the craft of thriller writing will be front and center. Each instructor will teach an aspect of craft though a Facebook Live video, written materials that include further reading and study suggestions, and an entire week of online Q&A with the registered students. The goal is simple: To make each student a better writer.
Attendance is limited, and we sold out last year.
ThrillerFest XV: Registration is Open!
ThrillerFest XV – 2020 will be held at the Grand Hyatt New York from July 7 – 11, 2020.
Come share in the excitement of another thrilling conference!
We have a fabulous line-up of special guests this year, including:
- 2020 ThrillerMaster Diana Gabaldon
- 2019 ThrillerMaster John Sandford
- 2020 Silver Bullet Award recipient Michael Connelly
- 2020 Spotlight Guest Veronica Roth
- 2020 Spotlight Guest Joseph Finder
- 2020 Thriller Legend Writers House
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discusses everything from what they love about writing thrillers to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for this month. You won’t want to miss it!
January 6 – 12: Please share with us your writing-related resolutions for 2020?
January 13 – 19: “In On Writing, Stephen King tells the story of asking Amy Tan what’s the one question she’s never asked in a Q&A. She responded, ‘They never ask about the language.’ So, we’re asking: What about language? How much credence do you give it? What does it do for your story? Characters? Dialogue? Setting? The reader? How important is it?”
January 20 – 26: “What is your favorite thriller sub-genre? Why?”
January 27 – February 2: “What can thriller writers learn from the film industry?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J. H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!