Read the stories that were in the March edition of The Big Thrill.
Our cover subject Walter Mosley takes you behind the scenes of his fiction, with top-selling authors Brad Meltzer, Meg Gardiner, Brad Parks, Christopher Rice, Michael Niemann, and Debra Webb sharing their secrets too. E. A. Aymar and Sarah M. Chen talk about how they developed their exciting new anthology. In “Trend Alert,” Dawn Ius reports on the serial killer phenomenon in fiction and why it shows no sign of slowing. And in “Author Guided Tour,” Don Helin reveals how a ferry ride led to his new thriller.
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines: Walter Mosley by Nancy Bilyeau
- Trend Alert: Is There a “New” Serial Killer? by Dawn Ius
- Author Guided Tour: Staten Island by Don Helin
- Africa Scene: Michael Niemann by Michael Sears
- Up Close: Brad Meltzer by Alex Segura
- Up Close: Meg Gardiner by April Snellings
- Up Close: Brad Parks by Robert Rotstein
- Up Close: Debra Webb by Wendy Tyson
- Up Close: Christopher Rice by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: E. A. Aymar and Sarah M. Chen
- Rainbirds by Clarissa Goenawan
- Last Seen by Rick Mofina
- Murder in the One Percent by Saralyn Richard
- Holmes Entangled by Gordon McAlpine
- Surgeon’s Choice by Richard L. Mabry
- Winner Takes All by Robert Bidinotto
- Vanished by Karen E. Olson
- All Saints by Jason Jack Miller
- Death By a Whisker by T. C. LoTempio
- An Engineered Injustice by William L. Myers Jr.
- The Pandora Block by John Hegenberger
- Dead Calm by Annelise Ryan
- Speed the Dawn by Philip Donlay
- The Kill Wire by Nichole Christoff
- A Well-Timed Murder by Tracee de Hahn
- Sanctuary of Lies by Chad Bishop
- The Clown Forest Murders by A. C. Brooks and R. R. Brooks
- Gone Dark by Kirk Russell
- Shallow Grave by Karen Harper
- 19 Souls by J. D. Allen
- A Cold Day in Hell by Lissa Marie Redmond
- In Silence Sealed by J. R. Lindermuth
- Death on the Vine by L. Lee Kane
- Only the Rain by Randall Silvis
- Walking the Bones by Randall Silvis
- Blood Legacy by Gary Williams & Vicky Knerly
- Testament by Mark Dunn
- The K Factor by L. J. Martin
- The Song of Geneva Chance by Keith Dixon
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Steve Berry, K. J. Howe, Dawn Ius, Heather Graham, Alison Gaylin, Mary Sharratt, Charles Salzberg, Lee Goldberg, M. R. Morgan, Elena Hartwell, Carrie Rubin, Charlie Cochrane, Debra Sennefelder, Max Karpov (as James Lilliefors), Tom Lowe, Diana Deverell, Ken Newman, Linda Sands, Kelli Stanley, Rachel Amphlett, Don Helin and many more!
ITW’s Online Thriller School: Registration is Open!
Seven bestselling authors!
Seven LIVE video instruction sessions!
Last year’s Thriller School was a great success and students came away with many new skills for their writing tool box. And this year will be just as useful to writers of all skill levels.
This year’s seven-week program begins April 2nd, 2018, and as before, the craft of thriller writing will be front and center. Each instructor will teach an aspect of craft though a real-time Facebook Live video available exclusively to the students who are registered for the Online Thriller School.
ThrillerFest XIII: Advance Registration is Open!
Your ThrillerFest team proudly announces that the 2018 conference, held at the Grand Hyatt, New York City from July 10-14, will include:
• 2018 ThrillerMaster George R.R. Martin
• 2018 Silver Bullet Award James Rollins
• 2017 ThrillerMaster Lee Child
• 2017 Silver Bullet Award Lisa Gardner
• 2018 Spotlight Guest Megan Abbott
ATF Pre-Conference Workshop: Presented by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). Add authenticity to your thrillers! The pre-conference ATF Workshop is a limited attendance event on the day before the main elements of the ThrillerFest conference. The cost is $150 which includes morning coffee service. Lunch is on your own during a 1.5 hour break. Space is limited and has previously sold out quickly. The workshop will be held at the Grand Hyatt.
Master CraftFest: This one-day intensive writing program allows your instructor to focus on your craft and your story. Everyone is welcome, from beginning writers to well-established authors. Teachers for Master CraftFest 2018 include top-selling members of ITW who will work with you in a small class setting. Instructors this year will be Steve Berry, Gayle Lynds, Grant Blackwood, F. Paul Wilson, Don Maass, Steven James, DP Lyle, and others. Space is limited, so sign up soon.
CraftFest: Learn the craft of thriller writing from the best in the genre! Hone your thriller writing skills on many topics to provide you with the tools needed to take your writing to the next level. Special feature: CareerFest! Now that you’ve written that sparkling manuscript, where do you go from there? You don’t want to miss it!
PitchFest: You asked for a time dedicated to pitching your projects to agents, editors, publishers, and producers – we listened! Face-to-face pitching with top agents who are actively looking for new thriller writer clients. Don’t miss this exceptional opportunity. Purchase an admittance package that includes PitchFest.
ThrillerFest: Spotlight guests, extraordinary programming, author book signings, and camaraderie. Includes the ThrillerFest Grand Opening Reception on Thursday evening.
Thriller Award Banquet: 2018 ThrillerMaster George R.R. Martin will receive his ThrillerMaster Lifetime Achievement award, introduced by 2017 ThrillerMaster Lee Child. 2017 Silver Bullet Award Lisa Gardner will present the 2018 Silver Bullet Award to James Rollins. All Thriller Award Winners will be announced. Fun, entertainment, and before and after cocktail parties!
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for March. You won’t want to miss it!
March 5 – 11: “What are the best screenplay adaptations of crime or thriller novels?”
March 12 – 18: “A popular book marketing strategy for authors, with a back list of books, has been to offer digital copies free to encourage readers to buy a subsequent novel. Has this trend affected today’s sales?”
March 19 – 25: “Describe how your readers have shaped your books?”
March 26 – April 1: EASTER: NO ROUNDTABLE
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J.H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!
Congratulations to Dara Umberger, the winner of this month’s BIG THRILL giveaway. Dara will receive an assortment of signed thrillers including Etched in Tears by Cheryl Hollon, Shallow Grave by Karen Harper, Speed the Dawn by Philip Donlay, The Longest Silence by Debra Webb and House Witness by Mike Lawson (unsigned).
All subscribers to The Big Thrill magazine are automatically eligible for the monthly drawing. CLICK HERE to subscribe to The Big Thrill.
Interested in becoming a member of the International Thriller Writers? ITW offers Active and Associate memberships.
Latest posts by ITW (see all)
- July 15 – 21: “What was the most difficult thing to research in your last novel?” - July 14, 2019
- The July 2019 Edition of The Big Thrill is Here! - June 30, 2019
- ITW Award Nominees: Best Short Story - June 30, 2019