Read the stories that were in the October edition of The Big Thrill.
In our October issue we bring you a cover story with Heather Graham and her insights into finding the bizarre. In “Trend Report,” Dawn Ius tackles the bizarre in a different way, in her analysis of what’s new about horror fiction. Bestsellers Sophie Hannah, Allen Eskens, Charles Todd and Eric Rickstad bring you the latest in their careers, and Ray Daniels interviews Kellye Garrett in “Debut Author Spotlight.”
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines: Heather Graham by E. M. Powell
- Trend Report: The State of Horror by Dawn Ius
- International Thrills: Polina Dashkova by Layton Green
- Africa Scene: Paul Hardisty by Michael Sears
- Debut Author Spotlight: Kellye Garrett by Ray Daniel
- Up Close: Allen Eskens by Wendy Tyson
- Up Close: Sophie Hannah by Nancy Bilyeau
- Up Close: Jon McGoran by Donna Galanti
- Up Close: Eric Rickstad by Dawn Ius
- Up Close: Charles Todd by Nancy Bilyeau
- The Ninja’s Illusion by Gigi Pandian
- The Church of the Holy Child by Patricia Hale
- Her Last Goodbye by Melinda Leigh
- The Last Mrs. Parrish by Liv Constantine
- Nobody Rides for Free by Neil S. Plakcy
- Lethal Love by William Patrick Hackett
- Demaris Protocol by Brian Randall
- The Frenchman by Lise McClendon
- Truthers by Geoffrey Girard
- Double Trouble in Iowa by Wendy Byrne
- This Side of Murder by Anna Lee Huber
- Edinburgh Twilight by Carole Lawrence
- Into a Dark Frontier by John Mangan
- Hau Tree Green by Bob Bickford
- Bolt Action Remedy by J. J. Hensley
- Falling Too by Gordon Brown
- Best Day Ever by Kaira Rouda
- Book of Judas by Linda Stasi
- Lights Out Summer by Rich Zahradnik
- Deadly Defense by R. Barri Flowers
- The Secrets on Chicory Lane by Raymond Benson
- A Room with a Brew by Joyce Tremel
- Follow the Dead by Lin Anderson
- Desert Remains by Steven Cooper
- Undeniable by Tom Grace
- Dark Traces by Martin Steyn
- Passport to Murder: Bouchercon Anthology 2017 by John McFetridge (Editor)
- Coyote Zone by Kathryn Lane
- Asking for Truffle by Dorothy St. James
- Hair Brained by Nancy J. Cohen
- Angel Babies by Ann Simas
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Linwood Barclay, Michael Stanley, Layton Green, Kate White, Lee Child, Matthew Peters, Ron McGee, Mark Ellis, Michael Slade, Terrence McCauley, Jessica Bayliss, Mark S. Bacon, Jake Needham, Lane Stone, James Tucker, Patricia Gussin, Alexandra Sokoloff, C. L. Taylor, Judith O’Reilly, Clive Rosengren, Kathleen Valenti, Earl Javorsky, Tim Waggoner, Barbara Nickless and many more!
ThrillerFest XIII: Early Bird Registration is Open!
• 2018 ThrillerMaster George R.R. Martin
• 2017 ThrillerMaster Lee Child
• 2017 Silver Bullet Award Lisa Gardner
• More spotlight guests will be announced soon – stay tuned!
ATF Pre-Conference Workshop: Presented by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). Add authenticity to your thrillers! The pre-conference ATF Workshop is a limited attendance event on the day before the main elements of the ThrillerFest conference. The cost is $150 which includes morning coffee service. Lunch is on your own during a 1.5 hour break. Space is limited and has previously sold out quickly. The workshop will be held at the Grand Hyatt.
Master CraftFest: This one-day intensive writing program allows your instructor to focus on your craft and your story. Everyone is welcome, from beginning writers to well-established authors. Teachers for Master CraftFest 2018 include top-selling members of ITW who will work with you in a small class setting. Instructors this year will be Steve Berry, Gayle Lynds, Grant Blackwood, F. Paul Wilson, Don Maass, Steven James, DP Lyle, and others. Space is limited, so sign up soon.
CraftFest: Learn the craft of thriller writing from the best in the genre! Hone your thriller writing skills on many topics to provide you with the tools needed to take your writing to the next level. Special feature: CareerFest! Now that you’ve written that sparkling manuscript, where do you go from there? You don’t want to miss it!
PitchFest: You asked for a time dedicated to pitching your projects to agents, editors, publishers, and producers – we listened! Face-to-face pitching with top agents who are actively looking for new thriller writer clients. Don’t miss this exceptional opportunity. Purchase an admittance package that includes PitchFest.
ThrillerFest: Spotlight guests, extraordinary programming, author book signings, and camaraderie. Includes the ThrillerFest Grand Opening Reception on Thursday evening.
Thriller Award Banquet: 2018 ThrillerMaster George R.R. Martin will receive his ThrillerMaster Lifetime Achievement award, introduced by 2017 ThrillerMaster Lee Child. 2017 Silver Bullet Award Lisa Gardner will present the 2018 Silver Bullet Award. All Thriller Award Winners will be announced. Fun, entertainment, and before and after cocktail parties!
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for October. You won’t want to miss it!
October 2 – 8: “Are some careers more suitable for characters in thrillers than others?”
October 9 – 15: “What’s the one fiction/writing/craft guidebook that every writer should have, not on his or her shelf, but right there on the desk always within reach?”
October 16 – 22: “Thrillers set in the Fall, is it a good idea and why?”
October 23 – 29: “Which comes first, the reader or the story?”
October 30 – November 5: “Horror in thrillers, do they mix and match?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J.H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!
Interested in becoming a member of the International Thriller Writers? ITW offers Active and Associate memberships.
Latest posts by ITW (see all)
- January 14 – 20: “What is the primary job of a thriller?” - January 13, 2019
- January 7 – 13: “What is your New Year’s resolution for 2019?” - January 6, 2019
- Between the Lines: Taylor Stevens - December 31, 2018