Read the stories that were in the June edition of the Big Thrill.
It’s all about the challenge, and this month’s issue delivers interviews on how authors rise to every one of them, beginning with our cover-story interview with Daniel Palmer. We’ve got other insightful interviews with bestsellers Brad Meltzer, Mary Kubica, Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, J.T. Ellison, John Farrow and Lisa Unger.
In “Trend Report,” James Patterson explains how the new short novel could be a game changer. Simon Toyne takes us with him to Arizona on “Author Guided Tour,” and in the debut of the new column “Get It Right,” Susanna Calkins explains how long it really takes someone to arrive at a destination on horseback.
We highly recommend two entertaining interviews: Brad Parks talks to Allison Leotta, and Marcus Sakey breaks it all down with Johnny Shaw. And check out our other top-notch interviews with James W. Ziskin, Roger Smith, Sofie Sarenbrant, Karen Harper, Addison Gunn, Joshua Hood, and twenty more thriller authors.
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines with Daniel Palmer, written by Austin Camacho
- Turning Point: Brad Meltzer
- Author Guided Tour: Simon Toyne
- Trend Report: The New Short, written by Dawn Ius
- Get It Right: Susanna Calkins
- African Scene: Roger Smith, written by Michael Sears
- International Thrills: Sofie Sarenbrant, written by Layton Greene
- Beyond the Ice Limit by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
- Seven Days Dead by John Farrow
- Don’t You Cry by Mary Kubica
- The Last Good Girl by Allison Leotta
- Field of Graves by J.T. Ellison
- Ink And Bone by Lisa Unger
- Floodgate by Johnny Shaw
- The Royal Nanny by Karen Harper
- Fever City by Tim Baker
- Strangely Beautiful by Leanna Renee Hieber
- Heart of Stone by James W. Ziskin
- Stealing the Countess by David Housewright
- The Last Time She Saw Him by Jane Haseldine
- Dark Hours by Sidney Williams
- Shadowed by Karen E. Olson
- Extinction Biome: Invasion by Addison Gunn
- Kill Devil by Mike Dellosso
- Warning Order by Joshua Hood
- Angel’s Revenge by Don Helin
- The Deepest Wound by Rick Reed
- The Trouble With Temptation by Shiloh Walker
- Vulnerable and The Shark by Mary Burton
- A Premonition of Murder by Mary Kennedy
- The Four-Night Run by William Lashner
- The Device Trial by Tom Breen
- The Rare Earth Exchange by Bernard Besson, Sophie Weiner (translator)
- The Hidden Reality by Stephen Martino
- The Far Empty by J. Todd Scott
- Riot Load by Bryon Quertermous
- Mortal Fall by Christine Carbo
- The Mask of Minos: Bruno’s Inferno by Robert Walton
- How to Disappear by Ann Redisch Stampler
- Type and Cross by J.L. Delozier
- Medical Judgement by Richard Mabry
- Targeted by Marissa Garner
- To Love a Wolf by Paige Tyler
- Into the Lion’s Mouth by Larry Loftis
- With a Vengeance by Annette Dashofy
- The Madness of Mercury by Connie De Marco
- Painted Beauty by J.M. LeDuc
- The Last Night by Mark Dunn
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Joseph Finder, M.J. Rose, Brad Thor, Raymond Khoury, William Lashner, David Bell, Kat Martin, Austin S. Camacho, Rick Campbell, J. C. Lane, Hollie Overton, Jen Conley, Jerry Kennealy, Tracy Clark, Shaun Harris, Caleb James, Lorna Peel, Frank De Blase, Elizabeth Noble, Terrence McCauley, Cara Black and many more!
New E-Releases from ITW Members
- If the Devil Had a Dog by T.K. Lukas
- The Infected Holiday Special by Andrea Speed
- The Other Traitor by Sharon Potts
- Cleaning Up Finn by Sarah M. Chen
- Naked Ambition by Rick Pullen
- 1935 Plot by Linda Cargill
- Dead in Kihei (Eddie Naku Maui Mysteries Book 2) by R. Barri Flowers
- Random Survival 3: The Endless Struggle by Ray Wenck
- The Gender Experiment by L.J. Sellers
- Banger by Charlie Flowers
- The Last Laugh by Paul D. Brazill
- Murder at Morningside by Sandra Bretting
- Empire by Jeremy Robinson & Sean Ellis
- Was a Time by James Hallan
- The Chosen by James Hallan
- The Unmoving Sky by K.L. Hallam
New Audio Books from ITW Members
ThrillerFest XI: Registration is Open!
Your ThrillerFest team is hard at work planning July’s conference where we’ll feature 2016 ThrillerMaster Heather Graham, 2016 Silver Bullet Recipient John Lescroart, and bestselling authors C.J. Box, Gillian Flynn and Walter Mosley. Like a compelling page-turner, we need to keep you in suspense, so stay tuned for more details!
Master CraftFest: Don’t miss this opportunity to study with the masters of the genre in a one-day intensive workshop to take your writing to the next level. Everyone is welcome, from beginning writers to well-established authors. The instructors this year will be Steve Berry, Grant Blackwood, David Corbett, Meg Gardiner, Heather Graham, Andrew Gross, Richard Krevolin (Screen Writing) and Gayle Lynds.
CraftFest: Director D.P. Lyle, M.D. is already recruiting talented teachers to broaden your knowledge about the craft of writing as well as experts in fields like forensics and firearms so you can get the facts right in your novel.
PitchFest: PitchFest is dedicated to pitching your project face-to-face to agents, editors, and producers. It’s an unprecedented opportunity for writers looking to get or change agents. Check out some success stories!
ThrillerFest: We’re planning some phenomenal panels, always trying to innovate and entertain. Join us for the spotlight interviews, cocktail parties, workshops, and fabulous networking opportunities. Please check the volunteer box during registration, as it’s a great way to make new friends and help out ITW.
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for June. It’s going to be a thriller!
May 30 – June 5: “When developing characters, do you start from scratch or use models (like real people or movie stars) to build from?”
June 6 – 12: “As a writer, are you satisfied with the number of reviews your books receive?”
June 13 – 19: “What are your favorite countries for settings and why?”
June 20 – 26: “Can you write from any location? Does changing your setting, time or place, spur new ideas?”
June 27 – July 3: “Do your characters have favorite cocktails and meals for the summer?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J.H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!
Congratulations to Sondra Oliver, the winner of this month’s BIG THRILL giveaway. Sondra will receive an assortment of signed thrillers including See Also Deception: A Marjorie Trumaine Mystery by Larry D. Sweazy, The Last Time She Saw Him by Jane Haseldine, Just Another Termination by Linda Thorne, The Last Good Girl by Allison Leotta, The Trouble with Temptation by Shiloh Walker and Love Her Madly by M. Elizabeth Lee.
All subscribers to The Big Thrill webzine are automatically eligible for the monthly drawing. CLICK HERE to subscribe to The Big Thrill.
Interested in becoming a member of the International Thriller Writers? ITW offers Active and Associate memberships.
Latest posts by ITW (see all)
- October 15 – 21: “How much value do authors place on social media?” - October 14, 2018
- October 8 – 14: “How does a stand-alone novel become a series?” - October 8, 2018
- Author Guided Tour: J. A. Jance - September 30, 2018