Read the stories that were in the March edition of the Big Thrill.
In this issue, we bring you some of our most compelling conversations. Harlan Coben tells A.J. Colucci how he crafts endings to his thrillers that are both shocking and emotionally satisfying. Mark Greaney tells Dawn Ius how he pushes to keep characters fresh and action authentic. Toni McGee Causey tells Allison Brennan about the wrenching emotional journey that led her to write her new novel. J.A. Jance tells Nancy Bilyeau how a financial blow made her angry—and fueled a blistering story.
We take readers to E.M. Powell’s Ireland in “Author Guided Tour,” to Quentin Bates’ Iceland and Paul Hardisty’s Yemen. This month’s “Trend Report” is about the possibilities of the new science thriller, featuring interviews with Andy Weir and other leading authors and editors.
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines with Harlan Coben, by A.J. Colucci
- Turning Point: Lyndsay Faye
- Author Guided Tour: E.M. Powell Travels to Ireland
- International Thrills: Interview with Quentin Bates, by J.F.Penn
- African Scene: Interview with Pauk Hardisty, by Michael Sears
- Trend Report: The Exploding Science Thriller, by Dawn Ius
- The Steel Kiss by Jeffery Deaver
- Overwatch by Matthew Betley
- Clawback by J.A. Jance
- The Saints of the Lost and Found by T.M. Causey
- Gone Again by James Grippando
- Back Blast by Mark Greaney
- Speakers of the Dead by J. Aaron Sanders
- Pegasus Down by Philip Donlay
- Starrie by Heidi Ruby Miller
- Hunted by Marissa Garner
- Her Fierce Warrior by Paige Tyler
- Web of Shadows by Susan Sleeman
- Disgraced by Gwen Florio
- Brooklyn Justice by J.L. Abramo
- The Madwoman Upstairs by Catherine Lowell
- Jump Cut by Libby Fischer Hellmann
- Bone By Bone by Sanjida Kay
- Longbow Girl by Linda Davies
- Northwoods by Bill Schweigart
- Hard Cold Winter by Glen Erik Hamilton
- Rain Dogs by Adrian McKinty
- Aries: The Sign Behind The Crime, Book 2 by Ronnie Allen
- Dawn Over Dayfield by Karenna Colcroft
- The Ninth Life by Clea Simon
- Takedown by Jeff Buck with Jon Land & Lindsay Preston
- Starfall by John Hegenberger
- The Capitalist by Peter Steiner
- Lost King by H.B. Moore
- Yeti by Richard Edde
- The Black Orchid by Vaughn C. Hardacker
- Hide and Seek by Michael Zolezzi
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Lisa Scottoline, Mary Sharratt, Steve Berry, Wendy Tyson, Anthony Franze, Linwood Barclay, Allison Brennan, E.M. Powell, J.T. Ellison, Chris Pavone, Victoria Griffith, Duffy Brown, Alex Segura, Rebecca Drake, Robin Yovum, A.J. Marcus, Ryan Quinn, Jeffery Hess, S.W. Lauden, Alex Gordon, Adam Mitzner, J. D. Horn, Elena Hartwell, Cynthia Kuhn, Lisa Preston, Connie Archer, Janelle Samara, M.A. Richards, Adrian Magson and many more!
New E-Releases from ITW Members
- In Shadows Written by Ken Pelham, Daco Auffenorde, Robert Rotstein and William Burton McCormick
- Capital Crimes by Douglas Stewart, Charlie Flowers, J L Merrow, Maynard Sims, Lambert Nagle, Charlie Cochrane, Graeme Shimmin, Alan McDermott, Alex Shaw and Stephen Edger
- Saved By The Marine by Denise A. Agnew
- Undertaker’s Wind by Jan Needle
- The Torch is Passed – A Harding Family Story by Bill Powers
- Devil’s Goddess by Steve Myers
- Tiger Tiger: Underlying Crimes by Joann Mead
- The Maples by Glenn A. Bruce
- Chalk’s Outline by J.J. Hensley
- Interpol Confidential by Michael E. Rose
New Audio Books from ITW Members
- Murder on Kaanapali Beach (Leila Kahana Mysteries, Book 2) by R. Barri Flowers
- Sycamore Gap: A DCI Ryan Mystery by LJ Ross
- Holy Island: A DCI Ryan Mystery by LJ Ross
- Flash by Tim Tigner
- Betrayal by Tim Tigner
- Cold East by Alex Shaw
ThrillerFest XI: Registration is Open!
Your ThrillerFest team is already hard at work planning for next July’s conference where we’ll feature 2016 ThrillerMaster Heather Graham, 2016 Silver Bullet Recipient John Lescroart, and bestselling authors C.J. Box, Gillian Flynn and Walter Mosley. Like a compelling page-turner, we need to keep you in suspense, so stay tuned for more details!
Master CraftFest: Don’t miss this opportunity to study with the masters of the genre in a one-day intensive workshop to take your writing to the next level. Everyone is welcome, from beginning writers to well-established authors. The instructors this year will be Steve Berry, Grant Blackwood, David Corbett, Meg Gardiner, Heather Graham, Andrew Gross, Richard Krevolin (Screen Writing) and Gayle Lynds.
CraftFest: Director D.P. Lyle, M.D. is already recruiting talented teachers to broaden your knowledge about the craft of writing as well as experts in fields like forensics and firearms so you can get the facts right in your novel.
PitchFest: PitchFest is dedicated to pitching your project face-to-face to agents, editors, and producers. It’s an unprecedented opportunity for writers looking to get or change agents. Check out some success stories!
ThrillerFest: We’re planning some phenomenal panels, always trying to innovate and entertain. Join us for the spotlight interviews, cocktail parties, workshops, and fabulous networking opportunities. Please check the volunteer box during registration, as it’s a great way to make new friends and help out ITW.
ITW’s Third Annual Online ThrillerSchool!
Starts March 14th, 2016!
Seven Weeks! Seven Bestselling Authors!
Join Lee Child, Meg Gardiner, David Corbett, James Scott Bell, Peter James, Hank Phillippi Ryan and F. Paul Wilson.
In this seven-week program, which begins March 14th, 2016, the craft of thriller writing will be front and center. Each instructor will teach an aspect of craft though a podcast, written materials that include further reading and study suggestions, and an entire week of online Q&A with the registered students. The goal is simple: To make each student a better writer.
Like the past two years, the online school will fill up very quickly, so register soon. Visit ITW’s Online Thriller School for more information.
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
Check out what’s in store for March. It’s going to be a thriller!
February 29 to March 6: “Does an author’s voice evolve with each novel or are there consistencies over time? Feel free to discuss your own work or some of your favorite examples.”
March 7 – 13: “How many thrillers do you read each year? What proportion do they represent of your overall reading and what were some favorites from last year?”
March 14 – 20: “Must religion, as described in thrillers, always be a clash?”
March 21 – 27: NO ROUNDTABLE – EASTER
March 28 to April 3: “More action may take place around doors than any other architectural feature. Discuss some of your favorite “door” scenes.”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J.H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!
Congratulations to Dianne Mongelli, the winner of this month’s BIG THRILL giveaway. Dianne will receive an assortment of signed thrillers including Orphan X by Gregg Hurwitz, The Survivor (Vince Flynn) by Kyle Mills, Still Life by DB Kennison, No Ordinary Life by Suzanne Redfearn, Yeti by Richard Edde, Spoils of Victory by John A. Connell, Lost King by H.B. Moore, Into the Fury by Kat Martin and No Place to Die by James L. Thane.
All subscribers to THE BIG THRILL online magazine are automatically eligible for the monthly drawing. CLICK HERE to subscribe to the BIG THRILL email.
Interested in becoming a member of the International Thriller Writers? ITW offers Active and Associate memberships.