Read the stories that were in the August edition of the Big Thrill.
Authenticity is the theme to our August issue. Many of our authors draw on their own experience—whether it’s career training or tumultuous living—and meld it with no-stone-unturned research to craft fiction that is fresh, gripping and memorable. These folks do their homework, while never being afraid to take chances.
Our cover story on famed former prosecutor Linda Fairstein reveals that in her seventeenth novel, the best-selling author is excited to try a whole new point of view. After reading the frank interview with forensic pathologist Kathy Reichs, you’ll understand why her series draws such a large and loyal readership. And former Air National Guard pilot Tom Young reveals how to turn technical know-how into a page-turning military thriller.
A rich reading experience awaits you in our International Thrills column on Qiu Xiaolong, whose series features a poetry-spouting chief inspector of the Shanghai Police Department. An interview with multiple award-winner Sean Chercover illuminates his command of the craft. And in the Africa Scene, Paul Mendelson talks about how crime fiction can capture the changing reality of Capetown.
We also have the latest work by Brenda Novak, R. G. Belsky, James Abel, Allison Brennan, Julia Heaberlin, Elizabeth Lowell, Alex Kava, and Diane Kelly. It may be the dog days of summer, but this is prime time for reading thrillers.
Hot off the press:
Click on the book title below to read the feature story or click here to scroll through all of this month’s articles.
- Between the Lines Interview with bestselling author Linda Fairstein by E. M. Powell
- International Thrills: An interview with Qiu Xiaolong by Layton Green
- Africa Scene: Paul Mendelson talks to Michael Sears
- The Devil’s Game by Sean Chercover
- Shooting for the Stars by R. G. Belsky
- Silent Creed by Alex Kava
- Protocol Zero by James Abel
- Speaking in Bones by Kathy Reichs
- Center of Gravity by Laura McNeill
- The Hunters by Tom Young
- Shadow Hunt by Michael Pedicelli
- Wolf Trouble (SWAT 2) by Paige Tyler
- Perfect Touch by Elizabeth Lowell
- Laying Down the Paw by Diane Kelly
- Cracks in the Cobblestone by Susan E. Sagarra
- Coercion by Tim Tigner
- The Ultimate Threat by James Osborne
- The Eternal World by Christopher Farnsworth
- Lethal Elements by Joel Gomez-Dossi
- The Flawed Dance by Laura Elvebak
- No Other Darkness by Sarah Hilary
- Dream a Little Scream by Mary Kennedy
- The Einstein Prophecy by Robert Masello
- The Love-Haight Case Files by Jean Rabe and Donald J. Bingle
- Crushed Velvet by Diane Vallere
- Flambé in Armagnac by Jean-Pierre Alaux, Noël Balen, and Sally Pane (translator)
- Devil’s Pocket by John Dixon
- The Secret Sister by Brenda Novak
- The Orion Mask by Greg Herren
- The Blind by Shelley Coriell
- Best Laid Plans by Allison Brennan
- Zero World by Jason M. Hough
- Believe No One by A. D. Garrett
- Shroud of Roses by Gloria Ferris
- The Confessor by Mark Allen Smith
- The Samaritan by Mason Cross
- The Three-Nine Line by David Freed
- Second Chance by Linell Jeppsen
- The Rabbi’s Knight by Michael J. Cooper
- Beyond A Doubt by Nancy Cole Silverman
- Perdita by Faith Gardner
- Drop Dead Punk by Rich Zahradnik
- Words in the Dark by Giulia Beyman
- Energized by Mary Behre
- Texas Prey by Barb Han
- Soul Mates by John R. Little
- The Collector by Anne-Laure Thiéblemont and Sophie Weiner
- Death By Deceit by Mauro Azzano
- FireCop by R. J. Beam
- Black-Eyed Susans by Julia Heaberlin
Coming Next Month
The latest thrillers from Robert Dugoni, Simon Toyne, Mark Pryor, Nancy J. Cohen, Grant McKenzie, Ethan Cross, Lisa von Biela, J. A. Jance, Stefanie Pintoff, Harry Hunsicker, Michael Ransom, Reed Farrel Coleman, John Lutz, Mark Leggatt, Shane Gericke, Andrew Peterson, Alan Gratz and many more!
New E-Releases from ITW Members
- The Deep by Michaelbrent Collings
- Destined to Meet by Devon Vaughn Archer
- E.Y.E. of the Scorpion by Cheryl Kaye Tardif
- Accused by Wendy Byrne
- Initiated to Kill by Sharlene Almond
- Romance Lovers 5-Book Bundle: Destined to Meet\Forever Sweethearts\Kissing the Man Next Door\Love at the Sea Bluffs Lodge\To Find That Love Again by Devon Vaughn Archer and R. Barri Flowers
- Mistaken by Liz Coley
- Vengeance by Brian Pinkerton
- Winterfall (Wasteland Trilogy #3) by Denise A. Agnew
- A Fine Boy for Killing by Jan Needle
- Dragonflies by Andy Straka
- The Bishop’s Pawn by Ritchie Perry
- The Fall Guy by Ritchie Perry
- The Team I, II & III by David M. Salkin
- Asian Pulp by Gary Phillips
- Nerve Damage by Tom Combs
- Viper by David Edgerley Gates
- Lessons for Idle Tongues by Charlie Cochrane
- Midnight Fire by Lisa Marie Rice
- Deep Time by Rob Sangster
- Saving Kali by Phyllis Smallman
New Audio Books from ITW Members
- Dead in Pukalani (An Eddie Naku Maui Mystery) by R. Barri Flowers
- Expedition Indigo by Stacy Allen
- A Good Rake is Hard to Find by Manda Collins
- Brigands Key by Ken Pelham
- The Girl in White Pajamas by Chris Birdy
Missed ThrillerFest X in 2015?
Get the CDS & MP3s from CraftFest and ThrillerFest here:
From Steve Berry to Donald Maass to Brenda Novak to Greg Iles to Andrew Gross and many others, we’ve got it all. Learn from the masters while customizing your learning experience. You pick and choose which session(s) you want and only buy what you want.
And don’t forget to stay tuned here. Registration for next year’s conference will go be open in September. It’s going to be another great one. We hope to see you there!
The Thriller Roundtable
Whether you’re a fan or an author, you’ll want to join the Thriller Roundtable discussions at The Big Thrill website, where each week a new group of authors discuss everything from what they love about writing thrillers, to what they’ve learned, and more.
In July the Thriller Roundtable will focus on Literary Agents. You won’t want to miss it!
July 27 – August 2: “When should a writer change agents? Are agents wary of writers with low sales seeking such a change?”
August 3 – 9: “What do you look for when selecting a critique group to help polish your writing?”
August 10 – 16: “Is setting or location an important element of your stories? Why?”
August 17 – 23: “In today’s market, does plot alone lead to sales? Or do age, life experiences, a strong social media presence go into the equation?”
August 24 – 30: “Do you read or write outside of the thriller genre?”
Authors, don’t miss this promotional opportunity! Participate in the Thriller Roundtable by contacting J.H. Bográn.
The Neverending Book Giveaway
If you’re a thriller fan who likes to win free books, be sure to check out the Neverending Book Giveaway on The Big Thrill website. Sign up for as many of the contests as you like! Just post a reply, and you’re entered!
Don’t forget to scroll down the list of contests or CLICK HERE for more contests and giveaways so you don’t miss any. (Tip: to shorten the display, click “Toggle Comment Threads.”) And because this book giveaway is “neverending,” be sure to check back often to enter the latest drawings!
Congratulations to Annette Macintyre, our 26,000th subscriber and the winner of this month’s BIG THRILL giveaway. Annette will receive an assortment of signed thrillers including The Confessor by Mark Allen Smith, The Hunters by Tom Young and The Assassins by Gayle Lynds.
All subscribers to THE BIG THRILL webzine are automatically eligible for the monthly drawing.
CLICK HERE to subscribe to the BIG THRILL email.
Interested in becoming a member of the International Thriller Writers? ITW offers Active and Associate memberships.
Latest posts by ITW (see all)
- August 20 – 26: “How would you blend a mystery and a thriller?” - August 19, 2018
- August 13 – 19: “How do you write, from the seat of your pants or are you a planner?” - August 12, 2018
- August 6 – 12: “Do you enjoy films with authors as protagonists?” - August 5, 2018